livingontheland - [Livingontheland] loss of small farms/small farm extermination

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Bobby G <bobbyg53211@yahoo.com>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] loss of small farms/small farm extermination
  • Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2006 22:14:49 -0700 (PDT)

one 'n all,

i have a hunch, and it is only a hunch, without
historical data to back it up. my hunch is that the
global peak of oil production, now scheduled to occur
on 12/21/2012, will probably in rather short order
take the giant corporate farm model right off the
table as an option. we have just 76 months to prepare
for this event...

absolutely everything about the giant corporate farm
model is completely dependent upon cheap oil and
natural gas. this is true of the actual productivity
of the "soils", if we can call the burnt-out mineral
substrate used as a kind of medium for growing, actual
"soil". it's true of the whole growing method from
start to finish--all of it dependent upon
fossil-fueled machinery. and finally, it's true of
the transport system used to get those agricultural
products to their very distant markets.

the reason there is not any historical data to back up
my hunch is simply that, well, there has not yet been
the full collapse of an entire global economy which
had been built upon petroleum as its fuel.

we shall have to see, of course, how it all plays out.

"the oil crash: it's non-negotiable"

bobby g