livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Pests and disease

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Norma Sutton" <sweetspringfarm@gmail.com>
  • To: "Healthy soil and sustainable growing" <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Pests and disease
  • Date: Tue, 8 Aug 2006 11:24:58 -0400

Hi Norm,
That makes good sense.  I've always applied that thought to humans and livestock, don't know why I overlooked the plant world.
Norma

On 8/4/06, norm cooper <grapegro@aapt.net.au> wrote:
Hi Paul,
            Pests and disease are a sign of weak plants, it is natures method of ensuring survival of high quality growth, the same as the law of the jungle.The reason that urea fertilised growth attracts insects is that there is too much nitrogen at one time, its application kills microbes and creates an imbalance of nutrients within the plant, similar to too much alcohol in humans.This imbalance weakens the growth of the plant, which signals the insects to attack it. I do not like using singular fertilisers of any kind, but get very good results from the use of complex fertilisers. This allows the plants the balance to produce sucrose or soluble sugars, which insects cannot digest, therefor no insect attack.This can be easily monitored with the use of a refractometer, and is also a measurement of nutrition of the plant. Remember, good nutrition is good health, for the soil,plants, animals and humans.
             Regards, Norm Cooper

--
Faith expects from God what is beyond all expectation. - Andrew Murray

New spindles listed on my etsy shop.
http://sweetspringfarm.etsy.com

visit our farm site and preview my book on the library page at:  http://sweetspringfarm.bravehost.com/index.html