livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Heating a greenhouse

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Art Corbit" <art_c@cox.net>
  • To: "Healthy soil and sustainable growing" <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Heating a greenhouse
  • Date: Tue, 1 Aug 2006 22:09:30 -0500

Hi Ken,

I grew up on a farm and also farmed on my own after I married. I was reading an article today on no till farming and they were saying it is so great for cotton. I just flat don't buy that and here is why. If you don't chop cotton stalks up and plow then under every year you are going to have one big mess you can't do anything with. A cotton stalk that is above ground can last for 3 to 4 years before it ever rots. Even then some of the larger parts of the stalk may still be solid.

If you did leave the stalks standing over the winter and then come in the next spring and replant in the middles between the rows you wouldn't be able to pick the cotton and sell it. All the stalks standing from the year before would trash up the cotton where a gin wouldn't buy it. If a cotton gin would even buy it and try to clean it up they wouldn't pay you very much for it. I think I would have to see this working before I would believe it.

Art