livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Deep Litter for Chickens

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Harvey Ussery <huboxwood@earthlink.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Deep Litter for Chickens
  • Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2006 12:52:11 +0000

In an earlier letter that I can't find, Harvey talked about using deep litter on an earth floor for chickens. I've read the article and it all makes sense. The question I have is how do you keep critters (foxes, 'possums) from digging up through the floor and wreaking havoc on the flock?
Uriel

An essential point, Uriel. Of course an earth floor is an opportunity for diggers like fox, dog, I guess mink, etc. The solution is to dig in a barrier around the entire perimeter of the coop. When I built my current poultry house, the one with the earth floor, I dug a trench almost 24 inches deep (yes, a *lot* of work! I used a nursery spade to keep the trench more narrow and reduce the amount of soil to be moved) around the foundation. Then I nailed 24 inch flashing onto the bottom girt (is that the word?) before nailing the board 'n' batten siding down on that girt.

One half inch "hardware cloth" (galvanized, welded wire mesh) could be used instead of the flashing, and might even be a superior alternative.

I've never had a problem with the bad guys digging into my poultry house. (Only losses inside I've ever had were a few ducklings to a big black snake--pretty hard to keep those guys out!)

~Harvey

PS: It occurs to me that you could also run single-strand electric wire around the perimeter at about nose level. That would require regular maintenance (prevention of weed/grass growth over the wire) but should be a strong deterrent to curiosity seekers.

--
Harvey in northern Va
www.themodernhomestead.us