livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] 55% of people in St. Louis without power - isn'tthis news?

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Art Corbit" <art_c@cox.net>
  • To: "Healthy soil and sustainable growing" <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] 55% of people in St. Louis without power - isn'tthis news?
  • Date: Sun, 23 Jul 2006 02:50:48 -0500

Very good article. If you haven't ever lived without electricity you can't
even imagine what it is like in real hot weather. I didn't live in a house
that had electricity until I was 14. Even then if you were real lucky you
might have one or two small fans and they were mostly used at night. Now I'm
talking about us poor folks out in the country. In the hottest part of the
day a fan is just a little better than nothing.

On thing that would really hurt now is the fact that the newer homes are not
designed to handle the real hot weather without air conditioning. It should
be easy to heat them in winter though. These things like St Louis and New
York are just warnings of things to come. The article says they don't even
know what caused the outage in NY.

We had an outage here a few years ago and they told on the news it was
caused by a snake trying to get up on top of a transformer in a sub station
to get at a birds nest. One snake touching one wire put about 20,000 people
in the dark for 3 days. It blew about 3 of the large transformers and they
had to truck replacements in from God knows where. That's what I call
putting all your eggs in one basket that has a big hole in the bottom of it.

Art in Arkansas