livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] ROOT CELLARS: A HOMESTEADER'S GUIDANCE - Keep This

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "TradingPostPaul" <tradingpost@riseup.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] ROOT CELLARS: A HOMESTEADER'S GUIDANCE - Keep This
  • Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2006 22:53:19 -0600

Art, I think we all realize our experience with root cellars (and
everything else about growing) can vary from place to place. No doubt folks
in different climates have found what works for them, and may not work in
other places. And without modern communications like we have here, a lot of
folks probably could have done more with root cellars than they did. We're
fortunate we can learn from far more people in far-flung places. We can and
should do better - all of us.

Understand I value Old Ways highly, and started our other list, Old Ways
living, for to help relearn or rediscover what's been lost and adapt to our
needs today. http://groups.yahoo.com/group/OWL-OldWaysLiving . I don't
believe we have time to reinvent the wheel, whether we slide into
depression as I expect or catastrophic collapse.

I keep saying we're all here to learn, esp myself. I'm really tired of so
many similar lists with so much useless chitchat, and I want to hear from
all the serious people I can, pick everybody's brain, hear all the
experience I can - and pass on what we can for others. My partner Barb (a
whiz at research) helps with hard research on some of these matters, like
the article below I sent on. With immigrant parents, she has the
experience with root cellars (and a lot of other things), not me.

--Henry David Thoreau