livingontheland - [Livingontheland] Green Acres? sparsely populated intentional communities.

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "TradingPostPaul" <tradingpost@riseup.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] Green Acres? sparsely populated intentional communities.
  • Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2006 18:55:09 -0600

And another problem not usually mentioned - any garden beginner faces a
learning curve, and there's a lot of bad information out there. "We're
gonna move to the country and live off the land" is pure Green Acres. If
they weren't growing where they lived before, they aren't going to get
enough results to stay with it.

Sure, anyone can garden. But learning how to get good production with the
least effort and input cost is what really pays off in the long run.
People who have to spend money and work their butt off to harvest a few
potatoes or squash are going to do without.

No time to beat around the bush. If we don't start with the soil itself,
then it's time to learn another occupation and let someone else grow out
food.

paul, tradingpost@riseup.net