livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Random innoculations?

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Marty Kraft <martyk@allspecies.org>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Random innoculations?
  • Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2006 08:33:36 -0500

The house sparrow and the starling were imported into the US from Europe to deal with insect pests and reproduced everywhere. The more aggressive African bee was imported to South America for "science" and was turned loose. Rabbits were introduced into Australia and became a problem. House cats have caused the extinction of many animals ti Pacific island habitats.

We know so little about ecology. We do not know the consequences of transplanting soil organisms from one ecosystem to another.

My intuitive leaning would be to gather the best soil from my own or near by watersheds in similar ecosystems, culture them and add them to my garden. I would try to error on the side of humility. Near by organisms should be the best adapted to your ecosystem. Just thinking about the various ecosystems and the millions of organisms that work dynamically to reach balance is like looking at the milky way on a summer night. Awesome!

Of course this throws open the whole idea of buying soil organisms for inoculation. What you are suggesting may be happening anyway.

Marty Kraft
Kansas City