livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] My [unpublished] op-ed piece on ethanol

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Greg and April" <gregandapril@earthlink.net>
  • To: "Healthy soil and sustainable growing" <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] My [unpublished] op-ed piece on ethanol
  • Date: Sun, 2 Jul 2006 10:54:28 -0600

Mark,
After looking at this for a week, I have to say "I disagree".

There are ways and means to' have your food and ethanol too '.

Much of the corn that is used in the US, goes to feed lot production of beef, pork, and chicken.    But, because the corn does not carry all the protein and other nutrients, they have to add protein fillers, such as soybeans and/or heaven forbid, meat by-products - mad cow disease anyone?

The solids and liquids left after the ethanol is distilled from the beer, go allot further to providing a balanced ration than corn does.    Properly processed, remaining solids could even provide direct nutrition for human consumption.

There is a video, that shows spent grain ( from making beer ) being mixed with sterilized straw, and inoculated with mushroom spawn.    Once the mushrooms are harvested ( for human use ), the spent material is then vermicultured, and the worms produced are blended with aquatic plants to provide food for fish grown in a green house ( the vermicompost is used to raise the fertility of soil ).   The fish is then sold for human consumption.    The water full of fish waste is used to grow vegetables ( for human use ) in the same green house.    The water is then pumped into tanks with prawns ( for human use ) and aquatic plants ( to be mixed with the worms to make fish feed ).    The waste heat from a distillery, can be used, to provide heat for such a green house to keep things running even in the middle of winter.

If anyone is interested, I can try and provide the video.    I can not seam to access it while I'm off line, but, I can't figure out the exact web address either.

Paul - does the list have a place for storage of various files?    If we do, we could try and store the video there for people to access.

Greg H.