livingontheland - [Livingontheland] truth in advertising / Don't think so ... Compost tea and bugs in ajug

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "TradingPostPaul" <tradingpost@riseup.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] truth in advertising / Don't think so ... Compost tea and bugs in ajug
  • Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2006 22:33:33 -0600

Perhaps the irony was lost. The question is, what does a vote among five
people who spoke up prove? What of others who've tried it and said nothing?
We have hundreds on this list. Does it tell us anything at all about the
benefits of compost tea? We know nothing about their soil condition to
begin with. What soil tests were done to determine humus levels? Do they
even know the humus levels in their soils? Was it so poor that anything
would help more than plain water? Sorry, but taking a vote never determines
scientific fact.

Those who want to use it, that's their business, not my concern.

BUT if someone sells it (or tea machines) with specific claims of benefits,
then those claims should be questioned. In this country, we take truth in
advertising pretty seriously.

Understand this:

I don't expect proof of everything everyone says and I don't intend to
furnish proof of every little point I make here. Why not? Because the rest
of us aren't making claims so people on this list will want our product.
I'm not selling anything here and have no vested interest in any product or
brand.

I expect hard evidence to back the extraordinary claims of ACT machine
sellers and their advocates. And I expect dealers to identify themselves as
such before they start promoting compost tea. That's only ethical. Those
whose pet illusions are challenged are free to ignore this open discussion
or go elsewhere where people aren't asked to think for themselves.

Nobody gets booted here for disagreeing with me, but claims can be
questioned, and that's as it should be.

paul, tradingpost@riseup.net

The outstanding scientific discovery of the twentieth century is not
television, or radio, but rather the complexity of the land organism. Only
those who know the most about it can appreciate how little we know about
it.
- Aldo Leopold in Round River, 1933