livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Compost tea vs compost direct on acre

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Soilsecrets@aol.com
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Compost tea vs compost direct on acre
  • Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2006 13:10:39 EDT

In a message dated 6/12/2006 9:26:23 A.M. Mountain Standard Time, bob@bnbrew.com writes:
Her demonstration is perhaps one of the most important reports in agriculture in the last few years.
Bob

I'm familiar with Betsy Ross and her compost tea company in Texas.  I would not say that her work or her report that you speak of is even close to being one of the most important reports in agriculture in the last few years.  Since neither compost or the product of compost that we are calling compost tea can contribute the tissues, propagules, spores and vesicles of mycorrhizae along with the helper bacteria, then we cannot say that it's the most important.  I'm not even willing to say that the mycorrhizae is the most important, but it is certainly a great deal more important then compost tea because there are tens of thousands of published studies that demonstrate the benefits once an inoculation is done.  From improving the tolerable limits to drought, improving the uptake of mineral nutrients, improving the uptake of water, improving the tolerance of pathogens, improving the yields of crops, improving the humus formation in soils and reducing the damage done by parasitic nematodes. All these statements can be made legally, can be label approved, are ethical and have research to prove it.   Making your crop or your landscape Mycorrhizal is much more significant than that of Compost Tea!

Dr. Michael