livingontheland - [Livingontheland] The New Farm Newsletter, June 8, 2006

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "TradingPostPaul" <tradingpost@riseup.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] The New Farm Newsletter, June 8, 2006
  • Date: Thu, 08 Jun 2006 21:07:24 -0600

To: Paul <tradingpost@gilanet.com>
From: The New Farm <newfarm.reply@rodaleinst.org>
Subject: The New Farm Newsletter, June 8, 2006

SHARE THE WEALTH: Please forward this email to a friend or colleague.
Want to go directly to The New Farm® home page? http://newfarm.org/

Hello Paul. All farming, like all politics, is local. But some changes and
challenges are so big they impact everybody, with your local conditions
determining how soon and how much you can respond.

The uncertain adjustments to more scarce—and more expensive—fossil
fuels will ripple through agriculture and food economics for years to come.
If the blip of high oil prices during the Carter years (1977-1981) boosted
sustainable agriculture as a cost-saving alternative, imagine what will
happen in the context of global warming, mainstream organics and tremendous
advances in ecologically sound farming systems.

Per-acre costs for corn relying on purchased inputs for fertility and pest
protection are up sharply this year, skewing what used to make sense on
enterprise budgets. It’s a great time to explore cover crops that supply
nitrogen and build soil.

When driving becomes too expensive to do casually, we’ll all re-think how
we grow, transport, process and buy food. One futurist with a long history
of assessing the limits of our global resources believes local food will
become commonplace, and the ‘burbs will be re-fashioned as they become
increasingly unsustainable.

While the strict rules for using manure on U.S. organic farms offer much
more protection than its unregulated use on other farms, organic farmers
shouldn’t be importing just any manure—even though organic rules would
allow them to. What’s injected into your neighbor’s cattle or fed to
her confinement chickens ends up in that manure, so it pays to ask
questions.

Got thoughts….about our Farm Locator? We’ll reward you with a Rodale
Book Store discount if you share them with us. If your farm or food-buying
business is listed on the Farm Locator, click here. If you're not listed,
but have used the Farm Locator to find farmers and/or businesses, click
here.

Greg Bowman
Online Editor

Fresh today from The New Farm®

Ethnic goat marketing made simple: the right goat, at the right weight, on
the right day, slaughtered the right way
One farmer's discoveries on filling a cultural niche with food, and
managing the expectations that come attached.

Livestock inputs make importing manure a concern, even for composting
Organic farmers are safe under NOP rules but need to know what they’re
getting and how to manage it.

“Grazing taller” captures benefits for pasture, cattle and building
soil
Observing impacts underground, across seasons and at milking, this dairyman
is figuring out how to solve global warming while improving quality of
life.

Small is beautiful…and profitable
Urban farmers in Philadelphia demonstrate that you don’t need a whole lot
of land—or fancy equipment—to see black.

Reader Mail
You ask, we answer. Questions from all of you answered by all our expert
contacts; from Jeff Moyer (our farm manager) to worm gurus, to other
farmers.

News & Views
Pasture access comment deadline looming...final NOP rule
published...farmers resist eviction...susainable ag students get marketing
lesson...benefit for Big Easy farmers market...organic programs on campus.
ag policy perspectives
Are you confused about WTO trade liberalization numbers?
Daryll Ray provides some insight into where those numbers come from and how
to sort through the hype.
Dear oil will favor local, seasonal food as distant sources lose
competitive edge
Long-term scarcity will put cities, suburbs, global trade under stresses
they weren’t created to endure.

at the rodale institute®

intern journal
No farm is an island
A Rodale Institute intern ponders organic agriculture’s lessons of cause
and effect.

sustainable in senegal
Milk and yogurt production, Ourossogui, Matam region
Fulani women learn holistic cooperative development and enterprise skills
to generate value-added revenue, and to inspire other small-scale farmers
in the region—including their daughters—with options for economic
development.

one farm to another
Cultivating your cultivation techniques
Keeping your weeds in check means keeping your tools honed, your eye on the
fields and some new tricks up your sleeve.

dr. paul's research perspectives
The world has changed
A look at nitrogen and corn economics.

If you want to unsubscribe from this newsletter, click here.

T H E N E W F A R M – R E G E N E R A T I V E A G R I C U L T U
R E W O R L D W I D E

  • [Livingontheland] The New Farm Newsletter, June 8, 2006, TradingPostPaul, 06/08/2006