livingontheland - [Livingontheland] humus-great discussion

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: <bob@4agoodauction.com>
  • To: <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] humus-great discussion
  • Date: Fri, 19 May 2006 12:07:44 -0600

Benefits of Humus

    * The mineralisation process that converts raw organic matter to the relatively stable substance that is humus feeds the soil population of micro-organisms and other creatures, thus maintaining high and healthy levels of soil life.
    * Effective and stable humus (see below) are further sources of nutrients to microbes, the former providing a readily available supply while the latter acts as a more long-term storage reservoir.
    * Humification of dead plant material causes complex organic compounds to break down into simpler forms which are then made available to growing plants for uptake through their root systems.
    * Humus is a colloidal as substance, and increases the soil's cation exchange capacity, hence its ability to store nutrients on clay particles; thus while these nutrient cations are accessible to plants, they are held in the soil safe from leaching away by rain or irrigation.
    * Humus can hold the equivalent of 80-90% of its weight in moisture, and therefore increases the soil's capacity to withstand drought conditions.
    * The biochemical structure of humus enables it to moderate - or buffer - excessive acid or alkaline soil conditions.
    * During the Humification process, microbes secrete sticky gums; these contribute to the crumb structure of the soil by holding particles together, allowing greater aeration of the soil. Toxic substances such as heavy metals, as well as excess nutrients, can be chelated (that is, bound to the complex organic molecules of humus) and prevented from entering the wider ecosystem.
   * The dark colour of humus (usually black or dark brown) helps to warm up cold soils in the spring.
Comment:
Nutrient cation is , I believe, one of the most important aspects of humus. When the green and brown manures and plant refuse are broken down the magic occurs. The elements and minerals become a form in stasis that is usable and ready to transfer to the plant's receptor's on the root system. This pre digested available nutrient allows the plant to grow with the least amount of stress.

50 chickens in chicken tractor and 40 rabbits produce a good deal of potential humus. Bev and I use straw in the bottom of the tractors and it falls to the ground and it is all then put in the compost pile. For speed I will sprinkle a bit of septic tank starter and some Medina plant stimulator on the pile. Dried molasses and kelp are good to sprinkle on, as well. Keep it damp and as little as 4 weeks it turns into a sweet smelling deep rich humus. I then put it in strong plastic bags and apply it directly to the plants on the side or around the plant. Better plant results can be seen in a matter of days if the humus has been watered in by the rain.
We have a Dexter bull and just got a 2 year old Dexter cow. I like the breed because I am old and they are small but have great meat and fresh milk is very good high in butterfat. Where I will feed them hay will become a source for more manure and spent straw. Bob C

  • [Livingontheland] humus-great discussion, bob, 05/19/2006