livingontheland - [Livingontheland] What to do with what we grow

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "TradingPostPaul" <tradingpost@riseup.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] What to do with what we grow
  • Date: Mon, 15 May 2006 10:21:05 -0600

(a post I made to another list)

The Big Book of Preserving the Harvest
http://www.rodaleinstitutestore.org/store/customer/product.php?productid=152&cat=&page=12

If they're out of stock try
http://www.motherearthshopping.com/Mother-Earth-Shopping-Detail.aspx?ItemNumber=1493

Also Root Cellaring
http://www.motherearthshopping.com/Mother-Earth-Shopping-Detail.aspx?ItemNumber=539

Most of all, Carla Emery's Encyclopedia of Country Living
http://www.carlaemery.com/orders.htm

or get it from
http://www.hollowtop.com/cls_html/do-it-yourself/homestead_skills.htm
" Some of the topics include: Moving to the country, buying land, sewing a
quilt, living self-sufficiently, planning a garden and raising vegetables and
herbs, saving seeds, improving soil, raising earthworms, growing mushrooms,
wild foraging, growing grasses and grains plus winnowing and grinding grains,
making pasta, establishing an orchard, pruning a tree, pressing apple cider,
tapping sugar maples, sun-drying fruit, stocking a root cellar, making
vinegar, caring for livestock, including feeding, doctoring and butchering,
plus breeding rabbits, shearing sheep, milking cows, making cheese, raising
chickens, turkeys, guineas and ducks, plucking feathers, cooking a goose,
plus resource lists of books, magazines, and mail order suppliers for every
subject imaginable."

THAT is living on the land.

paul, tradingpost@riseup.net

The outstanding scientific discovery of the twentieth century is not
television, or radio, but rather the complexity of the land organism. Only
those who know the most about it can appreciate how little we know about it.
- Aldo Leopold in Round River, 1933

  • [Livingontheland] What to do with what we grow, TradingPostPaul, 05/15/2006