livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Clay, compacted soils and Carrots

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Robert Norsen <bob@bnbrew.com>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Clay, compacted soils and Carrots
  • Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 12:07:03 -0700 (PDT)

That is impressive.   I try to grow carrots in clay soil but have much less success than you report.  Please let me see the pictures.   Bob  www.bobsbewers.com      bob@bnbrew.com

Soilsecrets@aol.com wrote:
I'm a native of New Mexico, I'm a sixth generation farmer, the Great Grand Nephew of Geronimo and I own the largest growing operation of plant mutualistic microorganisms in the industry.  Now with that in mind, if allowed, I could send  you a photo of carrots that were grown on the worst of all crummy clays typical of New Mexico's high desert region.  Low to no measurable indigenous humus content and very little organic matter to contribute a future pipeline of humus formation.  Yet without tilling or mixing compost and other mechanical manipulations to this soil type, we were able to grow carrots that looked more like baseball bats and they tasted wonderful.  The trick was in Restoring the Natural biology of the soil and to use a pure biologically viable humus as the carrier of the inoculation of these mutualistic mycorrhizal material with their helper bacteria.  The soils found in and about the community of Eldorado, New Mexico are high desert soils which have not seen the true native ecotone of Oaks and grasslands for about 300 to 400 years and consequently have not had a pipeline of organic biomass needed to replace the natural loss of humus.  This results in what is called locally caliche which is just bone dry and compacted clay.  Humus and microbes can easily fix this  problem.  If you would like to see this photo of the amazing carrots, send me a personal email.

Dr. Michael Martin Melendrez
Soil Secrets LLC
Los Lunas New Mexico