livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Fabric Softener pest repellant

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "TradingPostPaul" <tradingpost@riseup.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Fabric Softener pest repellant
  • Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2006 08:27:20 -0700

Some would say chemical fabric oftener isn't strictly sustainable for barns
or animals, hence slightly off topic. It does cause severe reactions in some
people, perhaps animals also.

The organic alternative is what they once called strewing herbs, used to
repel vermin and cover smells. At one time a board was placed at the base of
a door to hold back the herbs and grasses from slipping out the door, and
this was called the "thresh-hold".

A couple places to look for starters
http://www.eng-villages.co.uk/herbs.html
http://www.moplants.com/strewingherbs.php

I expect someone else can be more specific on which herbs are most insect
repellent. Also a good topic for our Old Ways Living list at
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/OWL-OldWaysLiving/

paul, tradingpost@riseup.net
The care of the Earth is our most ancient and most worthy, and after all our
most pleasing responsibility. To cherish what remains of it and to foster its
renewal is our only hope.
- Wendell Berry