livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Southern US gardeners

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Ryan Albinger" <ryalbinger@earthlink.net>
  • To: "Healthy soil and sustainable growing" <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Southern US gardeners
  • Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2006 18:16:08 -0600

Calcium Source:
High Calcium, low Magnesium: High Calcium Lime because the soil is plenty
acidic and will correct it, Gypsum is possible if sulfur is needed, but
will not correct pH.

Alternate Phosphorus:
I would use soft rock phosphate (I forgot to mention there is a source of
mined colloidial rock phosphate in FL). Rock Phosphate will bring in ~24%
phosphate and ~25% Calcium plus a bunch of micro minerals

Best Suggestion that I can give
Throw rock phosphate into your compost pile when about finished at about
12% on a weight basis and allow to finish composting

Best I can tell,
Ryan