livingontheland - [Livingontheland] local self-sufficiency

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Tradingpost" <tradingpost@gilanet.com>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] local self-sufficiency
  • Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2005 06:56:42 -0700

We promote "buy local", but there have been valid objections from some due to
problems with local sellers. Perhaps it should be "produce local, buy local".

"From the point of view of Buddhist economics production from local
resources for local needs is the most rational way of economic life, while
dependence on imports from afar and the consequent need to produce for
export to unknown and distant peoples is highly uneconomic and justifiable
only in exceptional cases and on a small scale."
----- E. F. Schumacher, "Buddhist Economics"

"Starting with the economies of food and farming, we should promote at home,
and encourage abroad, the ideal of local self-sufficiency. We should
recognize that this is the surest, the safest, and the cheapest way for the
world to live. We should not countenance the loss or destruction of any
local capacity to produce the necessary goods."
----- Wendell Berry, "Thoughts in the Presence of Fear"

paul, tradingpost@gilanet.com
http://medicinehill.net

The care of the Earth is our most ancient and most worthy, and after all our
most pleasing responsibility. To cherish what remains of it and to foster its
renewal is our only hope.
- Wendell Berry

  • [Livingontheland] local self-sufficiency, Tradingpost, 11/28/2005