livingontheland - [Livingontheland] Buy Local, Organic, and Fair Made--Boycott Wal-Mart and the Chains

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Tradingpost" <tradingpost@gilanet.com>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] Buy Local, Organic, and Fair Made--Boycott Wal-Mart and the Chains
  • Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2005 16:40:24 -0600

Dear friends,

Please find below our most recent action alert, combining local, organic,
and
fair prices for farmers/universal access to safe, local food under one
roof.
We¹ve developed a ³buying guide² for folks looking to combine all of
the
above. Please contact me if you would like a copy.
Solidarity,
Ryan
Organic Consumers Association

Nov. 13-Dec. 31, 2005: Buy Local, Organic, and Fair Made--Boycott
Wal-Mart and the Chains

The time has come to Break the Chains! The Organic Consumers Association
<http://www.organicconsumers.org is launching the next stage of our most
ambitious campaign to date, Breaking the Chains: Buy Local, Organic, and
Fair
Made. Between November 13 and December 31 the OCA will mobilize from
Alaska
to Argentina, working with a critical mass of global citizens to regain
control of our communities, our food and commerce, and our future. Dozens
of
leading activists, organizations and networks have already endorsed OCA's
International Call to Action. (Find independently owned businesses near
you
and sign the Breaking the Chains pledge:
http://www.organicconsumers.org/btc.htm)

Starting during the week of November 13-19, the OCA and allies will be
mobilizing across the continent to draw attention to the devastating
impact
Wal-Mart and other Big Box chains are having on local economies. At the
same
time local activists will be highlighting opportunities and alternatives
for
consumers to buy local, organic, and Fair Made products and services. Our
goal is to have 500 actions and events for the Breaking the Chains
Kick-off
week. Actions will include boycotts and pickets of Wal-Mart, Starbucks and
other chains; recommended "buycotts" of local green, organic, and
sustainable
products from independent grocers, restaurants, coffee houses, bookstores,
and farms; House Parties, community film screenings, and public education
events. OCA staff will help you organize your event and promote it to the
media. (Sign up to get involved in an event near you:
http://www.organicconsumers.org/rd-btc.htm)

Wal-Mart and the multinational chains are colonizing our communities and
our
minds, North & South, East & West, rural and urban, killing off small
businesses, exploiting workers and farmers, devastating the environment,
and
sowing a toxic culture of cheap goods and social unaccountability. Unless
we
stop this Wal-Martization of our communities, and pollution of our minds,
we
can say goodbye to Fair Trade, family farms, independent businesses,
workers
rights, and environmental sustainability.

November 25-December 31, 2005, the busiest shopping season of the year, we
call on ethically responsible people across the world to "Break the
Chains"
of self-destructive consumerism by boycotting Wal-Mart and other national
and
international chain stores, fast food restaurants, corporate coffeehouses,
and products bearing the logos of the multinational Brand Name Bullies.
Hoping to generate the largest impact possible, during the main shopping
season of the year, we call upon the global grassroots to Buy Local, Buy
Organic and Buy Fair Trade/Fair Made. Help us make Buy Local Month 2005
the
beginning of the end for Wal-Mart and the Corporate Chains. Please join us
as
we step up the pace to re-localize and green a just global economy.
Consumers of the world unite! We have nothing to lose but our chains!

* Find independently owned businesses near you and sign the Breaking the
Chains pledge:
* http://www.organicconsumers.org/btc.htm
<http://www.organicconsumers.org/btc.htm>
* Learn more about getting involved in an event near you:
* http://www.organicconsumers.org/rd-btc.htm
* Donate to the OCA:
* http://www.organicconsumers.org/donations.htm
Please forward this message to interested friends and colleagues!

Please note new contact information!
********************

Ryan Zinn
National Campaign Coordinator
Organic Consumers Association
PO Box 770183
Eagle River, AK 99577
916-529-4121
www.organicconsumers.org
ryan@organicconsumers.org

Campaigning for food safety, organic agriculture, sustainability, and fair
trade.

  • [Livingontheland] Buy Local, Organic, and Fair Made--Boycott Wal-Mart and the Chains, Tradingpost, 10/18/2005