livingontheland - [Livingontheland] fertilizer prices vs. organic/ local

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Tradingpost" <tradingpost@gilanet.com>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] fertilizer prices vs. organic/ local
  • Date: Sat, 15 Oct 2005 10:17:36 -0600

Someone on another list just discovered that fertilizer prices have jumped.
As I predicted after Katrina and long before. It seemed a no brainer to me
since chemical fertilizers come from gas and oil, and farmers have been
reporting that nitrogen has been rising in recent years along with oil and
gas. The guy reports phosphate, urea, and potash have doubled in a year,
ammonium sulfate is up 50%, and ammonium nitrate isn't even available now.

The point I made before is becoming all too obvious now: the price of
chemical agriculture is rising to meet the price of organic. And its
corollary, the cost of transporting food 1,500 miles (on average) is making
grow your own or buy local more urgent.

paul, tradingpost@gilanet.com
http://medicinehill.net

The care of the Earth is our most ancient and most worthy, and after all
our most pleasing responsibility. To cherish what remains of it and to
foster its renewal is our only hope.
- Wendell Berry

  • [Livingontheland] fertilizer prices vs. organic/ local, Tradingpost, 10/15/2005