livingontheland - [Livingontheland] Eating healthy harder for poor

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Tradingpost" <tradingpost@gilanet.com>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] Eating healthy harder for poor
  • Date: Sun, 09 Oct 2005 07:31:15 -0600

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/nation/3387539

Oct. 8, 2005, 7:06PM
Eating healthy harder for poor
Box of macaroni is cheaper than recommendations on government's new food
pyramid
By DONNA G. BLANKINSHIP
Associated Press

SEATTLE - Laurieann Cossey has always struggled with her weight. Four years
ago, she was diagnosed with diabetes. Now, six months pregnant and
struggling to get by, the single mother tries to make sure her 1-year-old
son gets the fruits and vegetables he needs.

"I worry a lot about my son being obese," said Cossey, whose mother and
grandmother also had diabetes.

Cossey, a 43-year-old community college student, and her son, Andrew,
survive on food stamps, trips to the food bank, and a state program for
pregnant women and their children that provides essentials such as dairy
products, fruit juice and cereal.

She knows they should both be eating more fruits and vegetables. But the
foods on the government's new food pyramid are too expensive.

Boxed macaroni and cheese costs less than a dollar to feed the whole
family; a fresh chicken breast and steamed vegetables cost about $2.60.

"I'm sure we'd all like to feed our children a nice healthy chicken breast
and asparagus," she said on a visit to a vegetable market. "If we are low
on fruits and vegetables, my child gets his first."

But pasta, canned vegetables and hamburger are much more likely to be on
Cossey's table.

Economics of eating

Scientists, doctors and government officials are working on ways to get
families such as Cossey's to eat healthier food.

Some innovative new programs are making progress, however the results are
not coming quick enough as Americans get fatter.

The poor have more barriers to dealing with obesity, eating healthy and
leading an active life, said Dr. Lydia Tinajero-Deck said.

Fast-food restaurants are more common in their neighborhoods than produce
markets.

Many parents, sometimes working two jobs, don't have the time to cook
healthy meals. And fresh food is more costly.

"Energy-dense foods rich in starch, sugar or fat are the cheapest option
for the consumer," said Adam Drewnowski, director of the Center for Public
Health Nutrition at the University of Washington. "As long as the healthier
lean meats, fish and fresh produce are more expensive, obesity will
continue to be a problem for the working poor."

Serving up subsidies

Dr. David Katz of Yale-Griffin Prevention Research Center in Derby, Conn.,
advocates vegetable subsidies. He favors the idea of a junk-food tax that
would use the money to lower the price of vegetables, as well as pay for
anti-obesity programs.

Diana Crane, a spokeswoman for PCC Natural Markets in Seattle, argues that
educated consumers can still find fresh-food bargains. "Many types of
produce remain very affordable, such as potatoes and many greens, many
under $1 per pound," she said.

Crane said PCC would be happy to see more funding for government programs
that get produce to low-income families.

Drewnowski is working with a number of local agencies across Washington
state to promote healthy eating and exercise by offering grants for
promising projects.

Drewnowski says that most diet trend and health suggestions are designed
for the middle class. A study his group is conducting seeks ways to make
healthy eating more affordable.

"We have enough information about which foods are healthy and which are
not. But affordability and access — that's a different story," he said.

  • [Livingontheland] Eating healthy harder for poor, Tradingpost, 10/09/2005