livingontheland - [Livingontheland] New England Seed Conference

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Tradingpost" <tradingpost@gilanet.com>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] New England Seed Conference
  • Date: Fri, 07 Oct 2005 07:05:21 -0600

PLEASE POST:

New England Seed Conference
'Seed, Squash and Song'
October 29th - 30th, 2005
Bramble Hill Farm
593 South Pleasant St /RT 116
Amherst, Mass

Seed-saving, once an essential skill passed from generation to generation
by traditional farmers, is almost a lost art. By growing and saving seeds,
each of us can restore food and farming traditions in our own community.
'Restoring Our
Seed' is funded by NESARE to renew the arts of seed-saving and vegetable
breeding - to help build a
regional seed and food system.

Saturday, Oct. 29 9-5
Seed-Saving and Plant Breeding Workshops with
Dr. Mark Hutton, Dr. William Tracy, Ruth Hazzard, Will
Bonsall of the Seed-Savers Exchange and NE's master
seed-savers and our Annual Seed Exchange. Potluck
lunch.

Saturday Evening
7:00 Storytelling with Will Bonsall
8:30 Film: 'The
Future of Food' on genetic engineering
and our food system

Sunday Oct 30th 10-4
Local farmers teach how to integrate gardens, seed and
harvest projects for school-community partnerships.
Teachers, families and kids especially welcome for
11:30 -4:00 heirloom squash tasting, potluck lunch and
hands-on seed-cleaning.
1:00-3:30 Dr. Bill Tracy, a nationally reknowned plant
breeder will work with farmers to develop on-farm
breeding projects.

See: growseed.org for details and to register.
COST: $25. one day and $40 for both days.
Teachers and kids free.
Contact: growseed.org Ph: 207 872 9093

Directions:
Bramble Hill Farm, a 120 acre organic
farm, is located at 593 South Pleasant St. (Rt. 116)
in Amherst. Travel south on Rt. 116 from the center of
Amherst for about a mile and Bramble Hill Farm is on the right.

  • [Livingontheland] New England Seed Conference, Tradingpost, 10/07/2005