livingontheland - [Livingontheland] Bringing cultural and culinary mainstays from the past into the new millennium

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Tradingpost" <tradingpost@gilanet.com>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] Bringing cultural and culinary mainstays from the past into the new millennium
  • Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2005 12:22:17 -0600

Renewing America's Food Traditions
Bringing cultural and culinary mainstays from the past into the new
millennium
Edited by Gary Paul Nabhan and Ashley Rood

Have you ever eaten a meal rich with juices, flavors, and fragrances that
have taken centuries to develop? A tender pear once planted in Thomas
Jefferson’s orchards, an oily fish that built trade routes in the
Northwest, a hot pepper that tells the story of Minorcan immigration to
Florida—these are the stories of North American culinary traditions that
lie hidden within our foods. And yet, many of these foods have been rapidly
disappearing from our fields, fishing grounds and feasts. If these culinary
delights persist only in our history books, we will have lost an important
cultural legacy, and future generations will be deprived of the exquisite
flavors found in these heritage foods.

Including the first ever Redlist of America’s Endangered Foods, this book
will not only share the stories of these uniquely American foods, but also
suggest how you can help save these food traditions. Here are twenty foods
with twenty stories; stories of imperilment, as well as success stories of
foods pulled from the brink of extinction. The Redlist is a working
inventory of those plants and animals Alaska to Florida that demand our
attention. Whether you live in New York City or Decorah, Iowa, you will be
inspired to join the efforts to place these foods back on our tables.

http://environment.nau.edu/publications/index.htm

paul tradingpost@gilanet.com
http://medicinehill.net NM

  • [Livingontheland] Bringing cultural and culinary mainstays from the past into the new millennium, Tradingpost, 07/20/2005