livingontheland - [Livingontheland] simplicity

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Tradingpost" <tradingpost@gilanet.com>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] simplicity
  • Date: Tue, 24 May 2005 07:32:03 -0600

"Most people in our country, and apparently most people in the
"developed" world, have given proxies to the corporations to produce and
provide all of their food, clothing, and shelter. Moreover, they are
rapidly giving proxies to corporations or governments to provide
entertainment, education, child care, care of the sick and the elderly, and
many other kinds of "service" that once were carried on informally and
inexpensively by individuals or households or communities."
-- Wendell Berry in The Idea of a Local Economy

>From Essays on Simple Living by John O. Andersen
"Some of our most intellectually, and artistically gifted young people
may intuitively feel that manual labor brings the greatest spiritual and
mental rewards of all labor. Such students should follow their intuition,
and make learning a trade their first and highest priority. For them, a
college education would be an inferior choice; a fall-back only resorted to
after exhausting other, better options".

Albert Einstein said in 1954 (near the end of his life): "If I would
be a young man again and had to decide how to make my living, I would not
try to become a scientist or scholar or teacher. I would rather choose to
be a plumber or a peddler in the hope to find that modest degree of
independence still available under present circumstances."

paul tradingpost@gilanet.com
http://largocreekfarms.com
http://medicinehill.net

  • [Livingontheland] simplicity, Tradingpost, 05/24/2005