livingontheland - [Livingontheland] The Farmers Market Infrastructure Assistance Act of 2005

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Tradingpost" <tradingpost@gilanet.com>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] The Farmers Market Infrastructure Assistance Act of 2005
  • Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2005 23:25:35 -0700

>From the desk of Congresswoman Marcy Kaptur:
________________________________

From: Szemraj, Roger [mailto:Roger.Szemraj@mail.house.gov]
Sent: Thursday, February 24, 2005 4:08 PM
To: Dear Colleague
Subject: Dear Colleague; Agriculture; Small Business; Economic
Development; Nutrition

Cosponsor

The Farmers Market Infrastructure Assistance Act of 2005

February 11, 2005

Dear Colleague:

I have just introduced HR 710, the Farmers Market Infrastructure
Assistance Act of 2005, to help provide loans and grants for the
construction and rehabilitation of farmers markets around the country.
This bill is virtually identical to HR 4858, which I introduced in the
108th Congress, and has already been cosponsored by every single member
who cosponsored HR 4858.

Direct sales of fresh local farm products is on the rise throughout the
country. Twenty years ago, we counted only about 100 farmers markets in
the country. In 1994, there were just a little more than 1,700 markets
and today, just 10 years later, that figure has nearly doubled to over
3,500 farmers markets nationwide. When you add to this number the many
public markets throughout the country that are multipurpose markets,
every region already contains these kinds of markets or has the
potential for them. Many of my colleagues have asked me what can we do
to increase this marketing option for both local producers and
consumers.

My bill would provide $50 million each year through fiscal 2007 from the
Commodity Credit Corporation of USDA to finance grants, loans, and loan
guarantees to public agencies and nonprofit organizations for the
construction of new farmers markets, or the improvement or
rehabilitation of existing farmers markets. A key condition of
eligibility is that at least 50% of the market area must be reserved for
the sale of products that are produced locally by farmers, ranchers, or
associations of farmers and ranchers. HR 710 also adds as specifically
eligible entities aquaculture, mariculture, and fisheries operators,
given the growing presence of these local producers. Grants may not
exceed 25% of total cost, and the combined amount of a grant and loan
made or guaranteed shall not exceed 80 percent of the project's cost.

This financing would be available throughout the country. Bringing
together producers and consumers to obtain the freshest and most
wholesome products is an economic development tool and a dietary
improvement tool.

If you would like to cosponsor or have questions about this bill, please
contact Roger Szemraj in my office at roger.szemraj@mail.house.gov or on
extension 54146.

Sincerely,

Marcy Kaptur

Member of Congress

  • [Livingontheland] The Farmers Market Infrastructure Assistance Act of 2005, Tradingpost, 02/26/2005