livingontheland - [Livingontheland] The real scandal is how we grow our own food from oil-produced fertilizers, pesticides, and transportation.

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Tradingpost" <tradingpost@gilanet.com>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] The real scandal is how we grow our own food from oil-produced fertilizers, pesticides, and transportation.
  • Date: Sat, 18 Dec 2004 14:58:58 -0700

Had to pass on this from from Dan Conine, Belgium,WI. --
paul@largocreekfarms.com
http://medicinehill.net
------------------------------

The real scandal is how we grow our own food from oil-produced fertilizers,
pesticides, and transportation.
Dan Conine
Printed in Random Lake "Sounder", 15 Dec 04:

> [...]
> understand why the terrorists have not attacked our food supply because it
> is so easy to do." His concern should be seriously considered by everyone,
> but not because we need armies to protect our food supplies.
> We have been driven, ever since the 'Green Revolution' to chemical
> farming, toward ever more technology and centralized food processing.
> Technology has been used to 'free' people from the 'drudgery' of farm work
> so that they may commit themselves to specialized drudgery for corporate
> profit. Centralized food processing has made commodity foods available at
> low cost to these same people. Terrorists haven't attacked our food yet
> because to instill terror, there needs to be an audience. Our food
> processing is almost completely automated now, so attacking our food supply
> is really just an assault on some machines, which doesn't scare a lot of
> people in 'the big city'. Contaminating some part of the food supply might
> be effective, but hardly terrifying to people who already see almost daily
> warnings of food recalls from dirty factories and processing plants.
> We need to address the fundamental issue of security, and that is
> centralization. When people get their food from long distance trucks,
> ships, and big box stores, they are putting BLIND faith in a system that is
> out of their hands. When they take a little time, and visit their local
> farmers' market or farm, they are getting closer to their food, and seeing
> the source of their own life. They can see how clean the food is, and who
> produced it, transported it, and they can process it themselves into meals.
> This method is SECURE from terror. The only vulnerability then left is the
> concentration of the people in the city where they live. This should also
> be addressed. We have large numbers of people in poor health, getting
> little exercise, fresh air, or sunlight. We have lost millions of family
> farms due to the high costs of labor and low returns on wholesale food
> production. Our past liberal governments have legislated (purportedly for
> 'safety') the most profitable farming methods (direct sales of processed
> food from the farm) to be unachievable, and our present conservative
> governments work to protect the centralized profit taking food 'industries'
> by working to thwart farm profits through prohibitive regulations.
> It's time to consider putting people back into direct contact with their
> foods and needs. This can easily be done through small farm friendly
> legislation, but mostly, it just needs people to wake up to their true
> needs and stop living as though there is some magical source for food that
> is simply programmed into a computer like an advertisement. If we put the
> labor back into farming, there will be more people watching over our food's
> security. Tommy Thompson should know this as well as anyone, since he was
> in charge during the loss of thousands of family dairy farms here in

  • [Livingontheland] The real scandal is how we grow our own food from oil-produced fertilizers, pesticides, and transportation., Tradingpost, 12/18/2004