livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Meeting the food stamp challenge with local foods.

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Pat Meadows <pat@meadows.pair.com>
  • To: "self-reliance, networking, and simple living, for small farm sustainability, rural independence and security." <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Meeting the food stamp challenge with local foods.
  • Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2004 10:22:00 -0500

On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 07:23:58 -0700, you wrote:

>Meeting the food stamp challenge with local foods.
>from RunningOnEmpty2@yahoogroups.com
>
>I thought y'all would like to see the results of this frugal eating
>experiment.

I receive Waldrop's email list, so I saw it already.
Interesting, but it's not strictly accurate as to the 'Food
Stamp Amount'. To clarify, in reality this varies both by
state and with the recipient's income (and family size, of
course).

For example, my husband's and my income qualifies us for
food stamps. (We don't receive them because we have savings
over the limit: $2000 for two people.) Because of our
income, however, if/when our savings become low enough for
us to receive food stamps we will receive $38 PER MONTH. We
are in Pennsylvania.

(Yes, we know this to be true. We went through a
hypothetical interview with the local authorities as we
wanted to know what might happen should our savings drop
that low - although we are doing our best to avoid this
eventuality.)

$38 per month is a far cry from $60 per week. Our income is
low enough that we are below the official (USDA) poverty
line, btw, although it's higher than the income of many
working people.

I also wonder why Waldrop thought it would be a challenge to
feed two adults on $60/week. I wouldn't have any problem
feeding two adults on $60/week. That's 50% more than our
weekly food budget for two adults who both eat three meals a
day at home. $60 week would be easy!

Pat
--
NOW OPEN! ContainerSeeds.com - vegetable, herb,
and edible flower seeds especially selected for successful