livingontheland - [Livingontheland] OrganicGardening.com Monthly Almanac Newsletter - November 2004

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Tradingpost" <tradingpost@gilanet.com>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] OrganicGardening.com Monthly Almanac Newsletter - November 2004
  • Date: Mon, 01 Nov 2004 11:51:13 -0700

OrganicGardening.com Monthly Almanac Newsletter - November 2004

CONTENTS

Welcome
Sky Watch
Book Offer
Monthly Gardening Calendar
Fun Fall Games
Compost Questions Solved

THE EATING SEASON

The feasts and parties and short, cold days make this The Eating Season, the
time when we indulge (OK, overindulge) to our stomach's content. But we don't
have to disregard the values we hold dear the rest of the year: Fresh, local,
homemade, and healthful food is the most satisfying to serve and to eat at any
time of year.

Looking for new dishes you can serve this season? Need good ideas for getting
kids to eat well, too? Just curious about what other gardeners are having for
dinner? Everyday, your fellow gardeners are sharing their enthusiasm for great
food and their inspired ideas in the Recipe Exchange section of our Gardener
Gardener community. You'll even find the Ultimate Tomato Soup -- a simple and
tasty antidote to overindulgence.
http://www.enews.rodale.com/accct/click?q=21-UPROIjdwVZdmSfYorOJHrmcFj44R

Meet you here again next time.

Scott Meyer
Editor
Organic Gardening

SKY WATCH

Moon Phases
First Quarter: November 19
Full Moon: November 26
Last Quarter: November 5
New Moon: November 12

MONTHLY GARDENING CALENDAR

ZONE 4

Wintry weather is the norm for most days in November. The average daily
temperature stays near freezing, lakes and ponds become at least partly
covered
in ice, and several inches of snow may fall. Migrating waterfowl gather in
the
remaining open water on lakes. Pine trees and other evergreens provide spots
of
green among the bare branches of deciduous trees. Newly fallen snow transforms
the landscape into a picture postcard scene showing a brilliant white covering
the entire landscape.

Outdoor gardening work is nearly done for this year. This is a good time to
summarize the 2004 season and to file notes and information. I keep records on
planting dates and locations, because I need this information to keep track of
the plants from which I save seed. Also, I am starting to collect more
information on the performance of the plants used to produce seed. Gardeners
who don't save seeds may also benefit from keeping track of their planting
dates and locations and the performance of plants because it might help them
decide where and when to make plantings in the future and what to plant.

To do list:

* Dig up horseradish and other root crops before the soil around them freezes
solid.

* Clean, sharpen, and store gardening tools so that they will be ready to use
next spring.

* Collect and store leftover gardening supplies including pots, potting soil,
organic fertilizers, and row covers.

* Store seeds in a cool, dry location to prolong their life. Seeds that have
been well-dried can be kept in good condition if they are stored in a
refrigerator inside a container with a tight fitting lid.

* Protect ornamentals and fruit trees from rodent damage by surrounding their
trunks with hardware cloth that is pushed a few inches into the ground.

* Save plastic milk jugs to use as a cloche (a protective covering) for
transplants next spring. To make jugs into a cloche, cut out their bottoms and
set them over the plants. Remove their lids to allow for ventilation.

* Join an organization that provides support for organic and sustainable
gardening and farming. These groups are active in many parts of the country
and
may need new members to support their work.

* Add variety to your Thanksgiving dinner by serving pie made from winter
squash. Squash pies are delicious and are very similar to pumpkin pies.
http://www.organicgardening.com/feature/0,7518,s1-5-16-229,00.html

Jim Tjepkema
Clarks Grove, Minnesota

FUN FALL GAMES

Yoga isn't just for Mom anymore. Lots of musicians, movie stars, and athletes
love it, and now kids can do it too! At The Rodale Institute's Kidsregen.org
you'll find easy-to-follow yoga moves your whole family can use to focus your
minds, strengthen your bodies, and calm your spirits. Visit the fall Fitness
Program to get started today.

Get outside on those crisp, sunny November days for some old-fashioned fun! In
this fall's Natural Moves, you can take a step back in time with modern
versions of some great age-old games (like Buddy Blindfold Bluff and the Hoop
Roll Race) that everyone can play at the park or in the backyard.

Send smiles to family and friends around the world with free E-cards that show
the beauty of fall and winter. Young artists created these winning 4 Seasons
E-cards, showcased in the Games: Contests and Winners Hall of Fame, for you
and
your kids to send and share. So check out http://www.kidsregen.org for this
and
much more, and take a quick survey to give your input while you're there!

Gardening magazine and one to yourself for the price of just one. That's
right,
it's 3 for 1 when you order now.
http://www.enews.rodale.com/accct/click?q=60-oqItIsEluX6c0YEL~mkTokgTEVcR

You have received this monthly newsletter because you subscribed to it at
OrganicGardening.com. If you don't want future installments, please click on
the link below and we'll buzz off:
http://www.enews.rodale.com/accct/click?q=9f-oztMrmJdEBZS80HQlZ2ekI46BQY_9pAB

The e-mail address used for this message is:
herb@largocreekfarms.com

Click here to read our privacy statement:
http://www.rodale.com/corp/sub/1,1874,1-28,00.html

Customer Service Dept.
33 East Minor Street
Emmaus, PA 18098

  • [Livingontheland] OrganicGardening.com Monthly Almanac Newsletter - November 2004, Tradingpost, 11/01/2004