livingontheland - [Livingontheland] Not on the Label: What Really Goes into the Food on Your Plate

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Tradingpost" <tradingpost@gilanet.com>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] Not on the Label: What Really Goes into the Food on Your Plate
  • Date: Sat, 30 Oct 2004 20:31:02 -0600

Not on the Label: What Really Goes into the Food on Your Plate
Book Description
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0141015667/026-7927876-0152428
Did you know...

That half the chicken on sale in UK supermarkets is contaminated with
campylobacter, which causes food poisoning?

That much of the chicken we eat has been illicitly injected with pork and
beef proteins?

That ready-to-eat bagged salad has been washed in a solution of chlorine
twenty times stronger than that of a swimming pool; that the processing
destroys the vitamin content; that in one government study 13.5% of bagged
salads were found to contain E coli bacteria?

That perhaps 30% of the workforce in the food industry is in the UK
illegally, controlled by a violent mafia-style network of gangmasters and
paid far less than the minimum wage?

That the average Briton has between 300 and 500 chemicals in their body not
present 50 years ago, many of which are capable of hormone disruption in the
womb?

That the incidence of obesity in the UK trebled between 1980 and 1998 to 21%
of women and 17% of men. Almost one third of children are obese or overweight?

That 30-40% of cancers could be prevented through better diet?

A devastating expose of the state of the food production industry in Britain,
Not On The Label will change the way we eat and the way we think about what
we eat.

Looking at some of our most popular foods, the author sytematically exposes
their production and marketing, showing how the food industry causes ill
health, environmental damage, urban blight - and starves smallholders in
Africa and Asia, and exploits illegal labourers in Britain.

  • [Livingontheland] Not on the Label: What Really Goes into the Food on Your Plate, Tradingpost, 10/30/2004