livingontheland - [Livingontheland] Fwd: How to plant a container garden for fall

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Tradingpost" <tradingpost@gilanet.com>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] Fwd: How to plant a container garden for fall
  • Date: Sun, 03 Oct 2004 06:22:46 -0600

*********** BEGIN FORWARDED MESSAGE ***********

http://www.azdailysun.com/non_sec/nav_includes/story.cfm?storyID=95260

How to plant a container garden for fall
Alice Monet
Master Gardener
10/02/2004

[ write a letter to the editor | email this story ]

It dropped below freezing last night at my house. When I first came to
Flagstaff, this would have been the signal to plant a few perennials for
next summer, add some more daffodil and tulip bulbs (you can never have too
many!), and start my fall garden cleanup. But now I know that's not the end
of the story. While it's certainly too late to set out petunias and
impatiens, this is a great time to plant a cold hardy container garden.

My first fall container garden was a desperate attempt to make our garden
look attractive when we hosted a retirement party for a friend in February.
Normally, this is the dreariest time of year in the garden. The last of the
late-flowering perennials are just tangles of brown, broken stems and
months of winter still lie ahead. It really is a bit late for Christmas
lights and wreaths. But my boss was coming, and his boss, and his boss! I
had to try something!

Planting a container garden for cold weather turned out to be a cinch. Just
use plants that are well-suited to cold, give them a little protection from
the worst winter weather, and they will provide a cheerful, attractive
accent for your garden or entrance for months to come, and possibly right
through till spring.

What are these miraculous winter-proof plants? You know many of them
already: Evergreen shrubs and compact trees, ivy and periwinkle, pansies
and snapdragons, wood asters and sedums. Winter-blooming heaths, Algerian
iris, and aconite, fall-blooming crocus and hellebores, and some varieties
of chrysanthemums, all provide late-season color and foliage. There are
also a number of foliage plants that continue to look attractive right
through winter, including inkberry holly, Oregon grape holly, dwarf Alberta
spruce, arborvitae, and many varieties of juniper. Visit your local
nurseries and see what they have to offer. While the selection won't be
nearly as extensive as in spring or summer, there always seem to be some
cold-hardy plants available.

Planting a cold-hardy container is much the same as planting in warmer
seasons. Choose a container that can withstand wintry conditions. Plastic,
foam, or wood will hold up best in snow and freezing temperatures. A larger
container will provide a more stable environment than a smaller pot.
Placing the container in a somewhat sheltered location, next to a house
wall or under a tree, will give it some protection from the elements.

Make sure the container has adequate drainage. A hole or two in the bottom
will prevent the soil from becoming water logged and then freezing. Using a
lightweight soil mix, especially formulated for containers, will also help
insure good drainage.

Now collect a pleasing assortment of plants. I love to use pansies in my
fall containers. Their cheerful faces and wide variety of colors add so
much to the garden in winter. I like to use a compact, broadleaf evergreen,
such as inkberry holly, as the central figure in my winter drama, with a
supporting cast of colorful pansies, and some variegated ivy draping over
the edges of the container, adding a touch of elegance and old-fashioned
charm.

Be sure to leave room at the top for a layer of mulch. While mulching the
container garden is helpful any time of year, it's particularly important
for a cold season container garden. Not only will mulch retain moisture but
a thick layer of mulch will help stabilize the temperature of the soil,
preventing frost heave which results from repeated soil freezing and
thawing.

Water well after planting and as needed after that. Even though the cold
temperatures will reduce the rate of evaporation, the container garden will
still need occasional watering. Cold winter air can be awfully dry. Much of
the damage suffered by plants in the winter is due to excessively dry
conditions rather than low temperatures.

Provide some protection during extra-cold spells. These usually only last a
day or two. If a particularly harsh storm is moving in, it won't hurt to
cover your container garden with a blanket (support it with a tomato cage!)
or move it into the garage until the storm passes.

If we should be lucky enough to get some very heavy snowfalls this winter,
just knock the snow off if it appears to be causing damage. But remember,
snow is a great insulator and shield. I've often discovered plants such as
pansies blooming under a thick blanket of snow, while those in the open get
zapped.

That's all there is to it! Who says we can't garden year around in
Flagstaff?

Alice Monet has received training through the University of Arizona
Cooperative Extension's Master Gardener program and is a Master Gardener
Volunteer for Coconino County.

*********** END FORWARDED MESSAGE ***********

  • [Livingontheland] Fwd: How to plant a container garden for fall, Tradingpost, 10/03/2004