livingontheland - [Livingontheland] 2004 Conservation Organization for the Restoration of Native Seed (CORNS) Conference

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Tradingpost" <tradingpost@gilanet.com>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] 2004 Conservation Organization for the Restoration of Native Seed (CORNS) Conference
  • Date: Fri, 01 Oct 2004 02:12:30 -0600

Robert Waldrop, Oklahoma City:
I don't think I've seen this conferenc ementioned here, but it should be
pretty good. The speaker lineup is hard to beat, and the price is right --
free. (Of course, if you're from out of town and attend both days you would
have travel, meals, and lodging.) I'm not sure if the BELIEF program is
limited to the state of Oklahoma, or whether small farmers (less than 180
acres) and lower income (less than $50,000/year) anywhere can apply, but you
can contact them through their website and find out. The CORNS organization
is a leader in preserving heirloom varieties and agricultural practices of
indigenous peoples.

Here's some information about the 2004 Conservation Organization for the
Restoration of Native Seed (CORNS) Conference in Stillwater, Oklahoma at the
Countryside Gardener, October 29 and 30. The event is free, and anyone
committed to buying direct from local producers, supporting local economies
and small businesses which protect the land, livestock, plant and wildlife,
and work towards sustainability will find the program interesting and
informative.

Producers will also find it interesting, because the CORNS organization will
begin taking applications at the conference for participation in its BELIEF
program, a 2 year support program for producers with less than 180 acres and
who earn less than $50,000/year.. I clipped some paragraphs about the
program from the groups website and they are below, also the list of speakers.

For more information, visit the group's website at http://worldscorn.org/ .

B.E.L.I.E.F. PROGRAM
"B.E.L.I.E.F. can be the bridge for these farmers to becoming profitable
enterprises."

The 2004 CORNS, Inc Conference will announce and begin taking application for
its new program B.E.L.I.E.F. - Benefits for
Earth's Low Income Emerging Farmers. B.E.L.I.E.F. offers a two year business
support and training program free for qualifying
small farms under 180 acres and currently grossing under $50,000 a year.
Toops said, " We all know that the small farmer is an
endangered species with the growing strength of corporate farming operations.
CORNS, Inc sees that there are strong and
growing niche markets which are creating new and rich opportunities for
"sundowner" or "weekender" farmers. This program is
designed to help small farmers identify a niche, create a business plan, find
funding, and develop marketing and distribution
networks.

Toops emphasized, "We organized this year's conference with the intention of
giving information, contacts, and resources that
small farmers and gardeners can walk away with to make their operation more
viable. Our speakers offer a rich and diverse range
of success stories, along with information on niche markets, funding,
services and distribution opportunities. We envision
spirited breakout sessions between attendees and speakers alike."

SPEAKERS
Speakers include Jim Horn, Director, Kerr Center for Sustainable Agriculture,
Clayton Broscopie, Executive
Director, Traditional Native American Farmers Association, Earl Hatley,
President, LEAD Agency - Tar Creek,
Cissy Bowman, President of the Organic Farmers Market Association and owner
of Center Valley Organic Farms,
Malcom Beck, organic farming pioneer and author of "The Bug Book", Susan
Campbell, Consultant with the
organic food industry and author of the "Healthy School Lunch Program" and
"Generation RX", Dr. Beth Caniglia,
member of the Environmental Institute and the School of International
Studies, Steve Swogger, Agricultural
Liaison, Natural Resources Department, Cherokee Nation, Kathy Carter-White,
Solutions Group Researcher and
Writer for the Cherokee Nation, Kamala Gamble, CSA entrepreneur, chef and
owner of Kamala's Kitchen,
Richard Ortez, owner The Boarding House, El Sueno Gardens and El Sueno
Enterprises, and Kurt
Fleischfresser, head chef for the Coach House Restaurant in Oklahoma City

  • [Livingontheland] 2004 Conservation Organization for the Restoration of Native Seed (CORNS) Conference, Tradingpost, 10/01/2004