livingontheland - [Livingontheland] Re: Great we based info on organics and benefits

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Tradingpost" <tradingpost@gilanet.com>
  • To: comfood-l@listproc.tufts.edu
  • Cc: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] Re: Great we based info on organics and benefits
  • Date: Sun, 26 Sep 2004 11:26:30 -0600

This bears repeating:
>The most important and pressing challenge we all face is the creation of
>self-sustaining trading networks for local and regional food, i.e., the
>re-building of successful regional food systems. We need those successful
>systems so that small and middle-sized family farms, small-scale
>processors, local truckers and distributors, and family-owned grocery
>stores can once again work together to delivery fresh, wholesome, tasty,
>affordable food from local and regional sources to people in the
>community--and in the process re-capture the wealth now extracted from our
>communities by the large corporations.

But I need to take exception to
> the large corporations
>succeed because they create a highly organized, cohesive, efficient,
>effective, reliable and consistent networks link production and
>consumption.

Because the long distance transport, processing, and storage of food has been
subsidized for decades by artificially cheap oil which is going, going, gone.
They mined and pumped the easy stuff first, cheap to get and transport. Now
the long distance agribusiness networks will fail. As the cost of oil (and
gas) production rises to meet the ceiling price society can pay for it,
production will dwindle to a trickle. Local networks will spring up to fill
the need. This is not fifty years in the future. It's starting now.

paul@largocreekfarms.com
http://medicinehill.net

Following is from Eating Fossil Fuels by Dale Allen Pfeiffer
http://www.organicconsumers.org/corp/fossil-fuels.cfm

The Green Revolution resulted in the industrialization of agriculture. Part
of the advance resulted from new hybrid food plants, leading to more
productive food crops. Between 1950 and 1984, as the Green Revolution
transformed agriculture around the globe, world grain production increased by
250%.4 That is a tremendous increase in the amount of food energy available
for human consumption. This additional energy did not come from an increase
in incipient sunlight, nor did it result from introducing agriculture to new
vistas of land. The energy for the Green Revolution was provided by fossil
fuels in the form of fertilizers (natural gas), pesticides (oil), and
hydrocarbon fueled irrigation.

The Green Revolution increased the energy flow to agriculture by an average
of 50 times the energy input of traditional agriculture.5 In the most extreme
cases, energy consumption by agriculture has increased 100 fold or more.6

In the United States, 400 gallons of oil equivalents are expended annually to
feed each American (as of data provided in 1994).7 Agricultural energy
consumption is broken down as follows:

· 31% for the manufacture of inorganic fertilizer

· 19% for the operation of field machinery

· 16% for transportation

· 13% for irrigation

· 08% for raising livestock (not including livestock feed)

· 05% for crop drying

· 05% for pesticide production

· 08% miscellaneous8

Energy costs for packaging, refrigeration, transportation to retail outlets,
and household cooking are not considered in these figures.

To give the reader an idea of the energy intensiveness of modern agriculture,
production of one kilogram of nitrogen for fertilizer requires the energy
equivalent of from 1.4 to 1.8 liters of diesel fuel. This is not considering
the natural gas feedstock.9 According to The Fertilizer Institute
(http://www.tfi.org), in the year from June 30 2001 until June 30 2002 the
United States used 12,009,300 short tons of nitrogen fertilizer.10 Using the
low figure of 1.4 liters diesel equivalent per kilogram of nitrogen, this
equates to the energy content of 15.3 billion liters of diesel fuel, or 96.2
million barrels.

Of course, this is only a rough comparison to aid comprehension of the
energy requirements for modern agriculture.

In a very real sense, we are literally eating fossil fuels. However, due to
the laws of thermodynamics, there is not a direct correspondence between
energy inflow and outflow in agriculture. Along the way, there is a marked
energy loss. Between 1945 and 1994, energy input to agriculture increased
4-fold while crop yields only increased 3-fold.11 Since then, energy input
has continued to increase without a corresponding increase in crop yield. We
have reached the point of marginal returns. Yet, due to soil degradation,
increased demands of pest management and increasing energy costs for
irrigation (all of which is examined below), modern agriculture must continue
increasing its energy expenditures simply to maintain current crop yields.
The Green Revolution is becoming bankrupt.