livingontheland - [Livingontheland] Seed Savers Network Australia

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Tradingpost" <tradingpost@gilanet.com>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org, rz.williamson@optusnet.com.au, sunfarm@toast.net
  • Cc:
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] Seed Savers Network Australia
  • Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2004 14:11:38 -0600

fwd from Robyn Williamson

It is already happening here in Oz: The Seed Savers Network of Byron Bay
provides permaculture-based training, knowledge and access to
resources for around 60 established Local Seed Networks. We work as
volunteers out of community gardens, backyards and lounge rooms across
the country. We attend expos, trade shows, exhibitions etc. and give talks
to local community groups, encouraging people to grow something,
anything, in their own backyard and to save/share the seeds. We give away,
trade or sell our own organically grown, open-pollinated,
GE-free seeds of food plants. Whoever controls the seeds, controls the food
supply and at the moment three-quarters of the global vegetable
seed market is controlled by 5 seed companies.

As many of you are undoubtedly aware, we have lost 75% of agricultural
biodiversity in the last century and the genepool continues to shrink
at the rate of 2.5% per annum (FAO State of the World Report 2000). This
puts traditional varieties of vegetables amongst the most
threatened and endangered of all species.

"All the flowers
of all the tomorrows
are in the seeds of today"
[Indian proverb]

It's the same for our food.

This is an SOS to anyone out there - please help to Save Our Seeds.

Best wishes from Robyn

CONTACT DETAILS:

Robyn Williamson
PDC, Urban Horticulturist
Hon Sec, Fagan Park Community Eco Garden Committee
Local Seed Network Coordinator
NORTH WESTERN SYDNEY COMMUNITY SEED SAVERS
ph/fx: (612) 9629 3560
email: rz.williamson@optusnet.com.au
http://www.communityfoods.com.au
http://www.au.gardenweb.com/directory/fpceg
http://www.seedsavers.net

  • [Livingontheland] Seed Savers Network Australia, Tradingpost, 09/11/2004