livingontheland - [Livingontheland] In Canada: A Wave of Government Intrusion

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Elbert van Donkersgoed <evd@christianfarmers.org>(Redirected by "Tradingpost" <tradingpost@gilanet.com>)
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] In Canada: A Wave of Government Intrusion
  • Date: Mon, 05 Jul 2004 09:55:11 -0400

(Redirected by "Tradingpost" <tradingpost@gilanet.com>)

*********** BEGIN REDIRECTED MESSAGE ***********

Corner Post #341

Farm & Countryside Commentary by Elbert van Donkersgoed

Greenbelt Task Force Discussion Paper, Planning Act Reform and
Implementation Tools, Ontario Municipal Board Reform, Provincial Policy
Statement Draft Policies, Drinking Water Source Protection Act, Nutrient
Management Act, Growing Strong Rural Communities Consultation Paper, Safe
Drinking Water Act - all these provincial government initiatives have the
potential to reinvent our countryside. No doubt, every project is well
intentioned: urban sprawl needs stopping, large livestock farms need to
document their stewardship of our environment, studying the population
decline in rural communities is elemental, and confidence in our drinking
water needs to be restored.

But, will this wave of new rules and regulations create a more viable and
dynamic countryside? I fear not.

One, the draft Provincial Policy Statement under the Planning Act limits
permitted land uses in rural areas to resource-based activities. In prime
agricultural areas the permitted uses are even narrower: agriculture, adding
value to what is produced on a farm and home businesses. These cannot
maintain a vibrant countryside economy. The production of raw materials -
food, fibre, gravel, lumber -- has become technology work and attracts a
shrinking share of consumer dollars. A countryside limited to resource-based
enterprises will continue to lose relevance to the larger economy.

Two, designating good farmland for agriculture in government documents will
not guarantee that farming will thrive. Up to 85% of farm families are
already involved in economic activities other than primary food production.
A growing number of these enterprises have no relation to agriculture, but
do contribute to the viability of the farm and a reasonable standard of
living for these families. Farm families have already identified what it
takes to keep the countryside economy vibrant as resource-based sectors
decline in significance. We need to allow a full range of economic
activities on our farmsteads and rural properties. A family on a one hundred
acre farm should be able to earn a reasonable family income from activities
on the property. Farming enterprises are a contribution to family income -
often a small contribution.

Three, none of the proposed rules and regulations recognize the public good
and environmental services that society reaps from well-managed farms and
the stewardship of rural lands. Our countryside needs a new deal from the
millions who value local food, wild life, verdant landscapes, fresh air and
clean water. Government intrusion needs a guiding principle: public goods
that the public wants and needs must be paid for by public money.

This wave of rules and regulations designed to create a greenbelt, protect
farmland and safeguard drinking water can only succeed if it also makes the
Ontario countryside a great spot to live and a rewarding place to work.

__________

Bill 27, Greenbelt Protection Act, 2004 can be found at:
www.ontla.on.ca/documents/Bills/38_Parliament/Session1/b027rep_e.htm.

The Greenbelt Task Force Discussion Paper can be found at:
www.mah.gov.on.ca/userfiles/page_attachments/Library/1/716171_greenbelt_disc
ussionpaper_e.pdf.

Planning reform consultation and discussion papers can be found at:
www.mah.gov.on.ca/userfiles/HTML/nts_1_17365_1.html.

Proposed legislation to protect drinking water sources can be found at:
www.ene.gov.on.ca/envision/news/2004/062301mb.htm.

The Nutrient Management Act and supporting documents can be found at:
www.gov.on.ca/OMAFRA/english/agops/index.html.

The consultation paper on Growing Strong Rural communities can be found at:
www.mah.gov.on.ca/userfiles/HTML/nts_1_17601_1.html.

The Safe Drinking Water Act and supporting documents can be found at:
www.ene.gov.on.ca/envision/water/sdwa/dwsr.htm#tech.

Elbert van Donkersgoed P. Ag. (Hon.) is the Strategic Policy Advisor of the
Christian Farmers Federation of Ontario, Canada. Corner Post has been heard
weekly on CFCO Radio, Chatham and CKNX Radio, Wingham, Ontario since 1997.
Corner Post has an email subscriber list of more than 3,000 and appears
regularly on @g Worldwide Correspondents at
www.agriculture.com/worldwide/correspondents/index.html and as "Letter from
Ontario" on The New Farm website at www.newfarm.org
<http://www.newfarm.org/> .

To be added to the electronic distribution list of Corner Post send email to
evd@christianfarmers.org with SUBSCRIBE as the message. To remove your name,
send email with UNSUBSCRIBE as the message.

*********** END REDIRECTED MESSAGE ***********

  • [Livingontheland] In Canada: A Wave of Government Intrusion, Elbert van Donkersgoed, 07/05/2004