livingontheland - [Livingontheland] Coleman said it better than I did

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Tradingpost" <tradingpost@gilanet.com>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] Coleman said it better than I did
  • Date: Wed, 05 May 2004 13:38:02 -0600

Elliot Coleman said it better than I could

paul tradingpost@gilanet.com

Beware of all enterprises that require new clothes. --Henry David Thoreau
---------

from http://www.fourseasonfarm.com/main/authentic/beyond.html

...."First, organic pioneers were ridiculed. Then, as evidence of the
benefits of organic farming became more obvious to more people, mainstream
chemical agriculture actively condemned organic ideas as unfeasible. Now that
the food-buying public has become enthusiastic about organically grown foods,
the food industry wants to take over. Toward that end the USDA-controlled
national definition of "organic" is tailored to meet the marketing needs of
organizations that have no connection to the agricultural integrity "organic"
once represented. We now need to ask whether we want to be content with an
"organic" food option that places the marketing concerns of corporate America
ahead of nutrition, flavor and social benefits to consumers."

..."The transition of "organic" from small farm to big time is now upon us.
Although getting toxic chemicals out of agriculture is an improvement we can
all applaud, it only removes the negatives. The positive focus, enhancing the
biological quality of the food produced, is nowhere to be seen. The new
standards are based on what not to do rather than what to do. They will be
administered through the USDA, whose director said recently, "Organic food
does not mean it is superior, safer, or more healthy than conventional food."
Well, I still agree with the old time organic pioneers. I believe that
properly grown food is superior, safer and healthier. I also believe national
certification bureaucracies are only necessary when food is grown by
strangers in far away places rather than by neighbors whom you know. I
further believe good, fresh food, grown locally by committed growers is the
very best to be found."

"Organic" is now dead as a meaningful synonym for the highest quality food.
Responsible growers need to identify not only that our food is grown to
higher, more considered standards, but also that it is much fresher because
it is grown right where it is sold. Therefore, we have come up with a new
term, one we define to mean locally grown and unprocessed, in addition to
exceptional quality. It's a term we hope will be used, as "organic" was used
when we began, by those local growers who accept that if you care first about
the quality of what you produce, a market will always be there. We now sell
our produce as "Authentic Food." We invite other serious growers to join us."

  • [Livingontheland] Coleman said it better than I did, Tradingpost, 05/05/2004