livingontheland - [Livingontheland] Food Project's e-BLAST Bulletin #4

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Tradingpost" <tradingpost@gilanet.com>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] Food Project's e-BLAST Bulletin #4
  • Date: Fri, 09 Apr 2004 11:26:51 -0600

BLAST (Building Local Agricultural Systems Today) is The Food Project's
national initiative to train the next generation of youth and adults working
together for sustainable food systems. More on The Food Project:
<http://www.thefoodproject.org/>. Please forward this e-BLAST to others!

If you have questions, comments or items you want included in a future
e-BLAST, please contact Anim Steel at 617-442-1322 or
asteel@thefoodproject.org.

*****IN THIS ISSUE (for complete descriptions, please scroll down)*****

-- NEWS ARTICLE --

1. Read about Lubec High School students¹ aquaculture and aquaponics
project.

-- CONFERENCES/MEETINGS --

2. Rooted In Community Conference
3. Growing Possibilities: Agriculture in the City Conference
4. 2004 Youth Summit on Sustainable Development at UN Commission on
Sustainable Development
5. Call for Proposals: Future of our Food and Farms Summit

-- FUNDING OPPORTUNITIES/AWARDS --

6. SEED Initiative Grants
7. Ecosystem Approaches to Human Health Training Awards 2004-05: Health in
an Urban Context
8. Outstanding Farmer Awards
9. Young Activist's Funding Network Seeking Submissions!

-- TRAININGS/COURSES --

10. Urban Agriculture Workshop
11. Accounting for Farm Business, April 22, 2004, Oneonta, N.Y.
12. ³Community Gardens as Community Building Tools² Workshops

-- JOB POSTINGS/FELLOWSHIPS --

13. After school garden/environmental education teachers
14. Faith and Eco-Justice Fellowship
15. Community Food Retail Internships, Community Food Security Coalition
16. Job Openings at Global Research Action Center for the Environment
17. Openlands Project - Youth Garden Corps ­ Crew leaders and members
18. Research Associate for Food Security New Jersey Urban Ecology Program
19.Community Youth Horticulture Coordinator, Cornell Cooperative Extension,
Beacon, NY
20. Community Food Educator, Just Food, New York, NY
21. Seeds of Solidarity Farm Apprenticeship

-- CALL TO ACTION --

22. Speak out now for better food in schools!

-- RESOURCES --

23. Northeast Center for Food Entrepreneurship
24. Rooting the Community, Growing the Future

-- JOIN BLAST! --

25. Find out how to join a global network of youth and adults working
together to build sustainable food systems.

-- QUOTE --

³O Spring, how we¹ve missed you. Stir us from our slumber. Blow away the
dark storms of winter with your gentle breezes so we can sees again the
mountains of challenge that inspire us to climb higher...The promise of
change is all around--may we greet the new beginning with renewed energy and
vigor.² - M.J. Ryan

****MORE DETAILS****

-- ARTICLE ­

1. Read about an aquaculture and aquaponics project piloted by students at
the Lubec School in Maine. From Techniques magazine:
<http://www.acteonline.org/members/techniques/tech-oct02-story3.cfm
<http://www.acteonline.org/members/techniques/tech-oct02-story3.cfm>
<http://www.acteonline.org/members/techniques/tech-oct02-story3.cfm >
<http://www.acteonline.org/members/techniques/tech-oct02-story3.cfm > >.

**

-- CONFERENCES/MEETINGS --

**

2. 6th annual Rooted In Community Conference

Scholarship applications: April 30th
Workshop applications: May 30th
Registration deadline: June 4th

This year GRuB (Garden-Raised Bounty), Seattle Youth Garden Works, Guadalupe
Gardens and the RIC National Network are hosting the RIC Conference. We are
glad to invite all youth programs across the nation to join us here in
Washington State. We want each group attending to come with youth who are
great leaders, can participate openly and honestly, share their skills, and
are able to be creative and fun. The youth attending will also need to pass
on any information and share experiences from the conference to their groups
when they return home.

For more information and all registration, scholarship and workshop
materials, go to www.goodgrub.org <http://www.goodgrub.org/> or email
grub@olywa.net <mailto:grub@olywa.net> .

**

3. GROWING POSSIBILITIES: AGRICULTURE IN THE CITY
The Food Project¹s 2nd Annual Urban Agriculture Conference

It¹s not too late to sign up!

Fri. & Sat., April 16 - 17, 2004
Boston, Massachusetts

Urban Agriculture builds communities, improves urban environments, benefits
the local economy, and can be a sustainable method of achieving greater food
security for city residents.

Conference includes workshops for youth, hands-on training, and
farm-to-school working session, in addition to an incredible line-up of
speakers and presenters. Full workshop schedule available on our website.

Join Us!
For more info and to register go to www.thefoodproject.org
Questions? Contact Amanda Blaine at 617-442-1322 x 15;
ablaine@thefoodproject.org.
COST : Both days: $65 € Just Friday: $25 € Just Saturday: $50 € Both days
include locally produced lunches and all conference materials, Saturday also
includes breakfast € Limited scholarships available (contact us early!) €

**

4. The 2004 YOUTH SUMMIT on SUSTAINABLE DEVELOPMENT

April 18th ­ 24th, NYC

In late April, representatives of countries around the world will converge
on the United Nations to refine a global vision for economic development,
social progress and environmental protection.

We young people will inherit this vision, so WE must understand it, craft
it, and put it into action. SustainUS, the U.S. Youth Network for
Sustainable Development, invites you to join us at
a two-week, pro-social extravaganza with events open and free to young
people from around the world during the 12th meeting of the UN Commission on
Sustainable Development (CSD-12)

More info at: <http://www.sustainus.org/youthsummit.htm>

**

5. CALL FOR PROPOSALS: Future of our Food and Farms Summit

Learn about Trends in Food Distribution, Support Nutrition Education, and
Reduce Hunger in the Mid-Atlantic Region

Conference organizers seek proposals for presentations for the 6th Annual
Future of our Food and Farms Summit to be held on December 2 and 3, 2004 in
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. The Summit¹s goals are to increase knowledge
about the region's food system, stimulate active participation in
food-system change, provide opportunities for networking, and encourage
collaboration among diverse people to ensure that everyone has access to
affordable nutritious food. This conference has historically promoted youth
and minority participation through awards and scholarships..

See <www.foodfarm.org>.

-- FUNDING OPPORTUNITIES/AWARDS --

***Please contact us at The Food Project if you apply for one of these
grants or awards. We would love to know, and of course we¹d love to
celebrate you if your application is successful!***

**

6. SEED Initiative Grants

The seed initiative awards grants to "inspiring and supporting
entrepreneurial partnerships.... between small and large businesses, local
and international NGOs, public authorities and UN agencies, and others
working in the field of sustainable development. It was launched at the
recently held World Social Forum in Mumbai, India, and at the World Economic
Forum in Davos, Switzerland. The seed awards will generate publicity for the
partnerships approach and inspiration for entrepreneurial activity. Every
two year cycle, five to ten (depending on funding) innovative, nascent
partnerships will receive individually-targeted support to help ensure their
success, with the results used to inspire innovation in others. The awards
will be decided by a jury of experienced partnership practioners following
the criteria layed down by a specially-convened technical committee. The
maximum financial value of the services offered as part of the awards
package will be EUR25,000."

The founding partners of the seed initiative are Stakeholder Forum, UNEP,
and IUCN, with support from the German Federal Ministry for Environment.
Collaborating partners include Partnerships Central and the Global Public
Policy Institute (GPPi).

For more info: http://seedinit.org//mainpages/about/introduction/

**

7. Ecosystem Approaches to Human Health Training Awards 2004-05: Health in
an Urban Context

The Ecohealth Training Awards encourage graduate-level students to examine
the relationships between the environment, human health, and development
from a holistic perspective through field research that contributes to
understanding these relationships as inter-related. The focus of this year¹s
competition is health in an urban context. Applicants are asked to submit
proposals that use ecosystem approaches to human health to analyze the links
between human health and urban ecosystem conditions, as well as identify
potential intervention strategies based on better natural resource
management that improves human health and ecosystem sustainability.

Deadline: May 15, 2004

For more info: http://www.idrc.ca/ecohealth <http://www.idrc.ca/ecohealth>

**

8. Outstanding Farmer Awards: The 2004 Patrick Madden Award for Sustainable
Agriculture

Do you know of a farmer or rancher who truly is outstanding in the field, on
the range or at the farmers market? Do you find yourself pointing to this
person again and again when you need an example of a truly "sustainable"
producer?
USDA's Sustainable Agriculture Research and Education (SARE) program
announces its second award for farmers and ranchers who raise food or fiber
in ways that are profitable, good for families and communities, and
beneficial to the environment.
Four regional winners will receive $1,000 each and a travel scholarship to
"Toward a Sustainable Food System," the SARE national/regional conference in
Burlington, Vt., Oct. 19-21, 2004. All producers farming in the United
States and its protectorates are eligible, except for previous winners and
finalists. (No self nominations, please.

Nomination deadline - May 10, 2004

You may nominate someone online or download the paperwork at
http://www.sare.org/madden

**

9. Young Activist's Funding Network (YAFNet) Seeking Submissions

It is time that the world starts supporting the blossoming young minds who
will deliver positive resolutions. It
is time to realize the dreams of ourselves and our peers. Only with support
from our communities and each other can we achieve the ³hope for change²
that
has been pre-proscribed to our generation. YAFNet hopes to make that a
reality.

YAFNet - the Young Activist's Funding Network - is seeking submissions from
young activists who are prepared to dedicate a significant amount of time to
radical/progressive cause or project. YAFNet will aid the selected
proposals in
fund raising and support generation.

For more info, contact Robin Tala at yafnet@riseup.net
<mailto:yafnet@riseup.net> .

**

-- TRAININGS/COURSES ­

**

10. URBAN AGRICULTURE WORKSHOP
Sponsored by the Association of NJ Environmental Commissions (ANJEC)
Wednesday, 4/28/04, 5:30-9PM
Middlesex County Administration Building
New Brunswick, NJ

Topics include community gardens, urban farmers' markets and community
supported agriculture. Farmer Jim Kinsel of Watershed Organic Farm CSA in
Pennington, NJ will speak during the CSA segment. This workshop is designed
for urban environmental commissioners, local officials, planning board
members, sustainable agriculture advocates, community development
organizations, neighborhood and civic associations, faith-based
organizations and interested citizens. Registration fee is $5 for ANJEC
members, $10 for non-members; no charge if you are on the ANJEC Workshop
Plan. Reservations are required. This workshop includes a light refreshment
of beverages, cheese and crackers. Please register no later than three days
before the workshop. Call 973-539-7547 or email info@anjec.org to register.

**

11. Accounting for Farm Business
April 22, 2004, Oneonta, N.Y.

Great opportunity for young or beginning farmers!

The Center for Agricultural Development and Entrepreneurship (CADE) will
present a workshop entitled "Accounting for Farm Businesses" at the
Telecenter on Main Street in Oneonta. Participants will learn basic account
systems for small farms, including revenue and expenses, profits and losses,
cash flow and net worth. Workshops run from 6:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. and are
free to residents of Otsego, Delaware, Chenango and Schoharie counties. For
more information visit the CADE Web site at www.cadefarms.org.

**

12. ³Community Gardens as Community Building Tools² Workshops
Thursday, April 22nd
Thursday, April 29th
Salt Lake City, Utah

Utah G.A.R.D.E.N.S. Inc. will be conducting a series of workshops on the
social benefits of community gardens and how to start one of your own.
National statistics will be introduced to demonstrate how community gardens
are used to create more cohesive communities. Some of the benefits of
community gardens are reduction of crime, better intergenerational and
ethnical relationships and self-reliance. We will also explain how our
organization can help you in developing a community garden for your
neighborhood. Utah G.A.R.D.E.N.S. highlights how youth participation is
essential to building strong communities.

For more information, go to <
.">.">http://www.cs.utah.edu/~richardc/utah-gardens/>.
<http://www.cs.utah.edu/~richardc/utah-gardens/>
<http://www.cs.utah.edu/~richardc/utah-gardens/>

**

-- JOB POSTINGS/FELLOWSHIPS --

**

13. Afterschool garden/environmental education teachers

Where: Somerville Community Growing Center, 22 Vinal Ave, Somerville,
MA in conjunction with Cummings Elementary School (2 blocks from garden)

When; Late April- early June period, flexible dependent on scheduling,
Hours approximately 2PM to 4:30PM, 1-2 X/week

What: After school programming at educational garden center in urban
setting serving K-3 children from neighboring school. Reimbursement at
$12-18/hr.

For more info, email Lisa Brukilacchio, lisa.b@erols.com or go to
www.thegrowingcenter.org <http://www.thegrowingcenter.org/> .

**

14. Faith & Eco-Justice Fellowship

Offered by the National Council of Churches, the Fellowship Program
seeks to transform the faith-based eco-justice movement by training and
supporting emerging practioners engaged in faith-based environmental work.
The
program aims to nurture and train a new generation of leadership (age
22-40).

Participants will attend a two-day retreat (July 26-29) and a
one-day retreat in May 2005 for skills-building, issue training, and
collaboration.

Deadline: May 15, 2004

To learn more and get application information:
www.toad.net/~cassandra/fellowship.htm

**

15. Community Food Retail Internships, Community Food Security Coalition

The Community Food Retail Internship program provides bright, motivated, and
talented individuals an opportunity to help fulfill the Coalition¹s
Community Food Retail and Enterprise (C-FREE) Committee goals of fostering
effective retail of healthy and affordable foods in underserved communities
while strengthening local food systems. Internships at the Community Food
Security Coalition offer individuals the opportunity to learn about the
specific issues involved in our work and the chance to participate in a
nationwide study of food retail outlets that are successful in low-income
urban and rural communities. We welcome interns as integral members of our
organization and prize the time, energy, skills, and commitment they bring
to our collective effort. For more information about the Coalition, please
browse: www.foodsecurity.org <http://www.foodsecurity.org/> .

We are looking for two or three interns: one to work at The Food Trust in
Philadelphia (browse: www.thefoodtrust.org <http://www.thefoodtrust.org/> ),
under the supervision of Hannah Burton, Program Manager. A second intern
will work in the Coalition¹s Los Angeles office and will report to Andy
Fisher, Executive Director or in Detroit, at Wayne State University,
reporting to Kami Pothukuchi, board member of the Coalition. Internships
are without pay; we will work the intern¹s academic institution to secure
academic credit, wherever possible.

For more info, contact Hannah Burton, hburton@thefoodtrust.org
<mailto:hburton@thefoodtrust.org> , Andy Fisher, Andy@foodsecurity.org
<mailto:Andy@foodsecurity.org> , or Kami Pothukuchi, k.pothukuchi@wayne.edu
<mailto:k.pothukuchi@wayne.edu> .

**

16. Job Openings At Global Research Action Center For The Environment,
Grace, New York, NY
- Outreach Coordinator,
- Writer/ Editor/ Researcher

GRACE (Global Resource Action Center for the Environment) is a non-profit
organization committed to forming new links between those engaged in
research, policy and grassroots community work in order to promote solutions
to preserve the future of the planet and protect the quality of the
environment.

Deadline for applications: April 15th.
For more info, see: http://www.idealist.org/en/jobs/18167:193/110801:117
<http://www.idealist.org/en/jobs/18167:193/110801:117>
<http://www.idealist.org/en/jobs/18167:193/110801:117
<http://www.idealist.org/en/jobs/18167:193/110801:117> >

**

17. OPENLANDS PROJECT - YOUTH GARDEN CORPS

Garden Crew Leaders
NOTE: APPLICATIONS due April 10

Crew Members
Applications due May 1

The Openlands Project Youth Garden Corps is a summer program that works
to improve the appearance and environment in the communities of Austin,
Humboldt Park and North Lawndale through helping local community
gardeners develop and maintain their gardens. This is the fifth year of
the program.

For more info, email Julie Samuels jsamuels@openlands.org.

**

18. Research Associate for Food Security

New Jersey Urban Ecology Program

Begins July 1, 2004

Research Associate for Food Security at The New Jersey Urban Ecology
Program: (100% external grant funding) The State University of New Jersey
Rutgers in New Brunswick, New Jersey. This is a non-tenure track position.

Required: Ph.D.: in social science, geography, community development or
relevant fields associated with community food security.

The Research Associate for Food Security will be responsible for the
development of two externally funded grants within the New Jersey Urban
Ecology Program: 1) The New Jersey Hunger Prevention and Nutrition
Assistance Program and 2) The Green House Project.

For more info:
http://www.cals.cornell.edu/agfoodcommunity/afs_temp3.cfm?topicID=333

**

19. Community Youth Horticulture Coordinator
Beacon, NY

NOTE: Deadline for applications is April 12th

Cornell Cooperative Extension's youth development/gardening program seeks a
coordinator to develop programs, recruit and train youth, collaborate with
various groups. BA/BS in Education, Horticulture or related field.
Non-profit experience helpful. . For more info, see:
http://www.idealist.org/en/jobs/112957:98/111989:141

**

20. Community Food Educator, Just Food
New York, NY

Just Food, NYC based non-profit organization that addresses regional food
and farm issues, is seeking a Community Food Educator to promote improved
nutrition and cooking skills through our Community Supported Agriculture
Program.

Deadline for applications: April 19th.

For more info, see: http://www.idealist.org/en/jobs/82131:151/111853:267
<http://www.idealist.org/en/jobs/82131:151/111853:267>
<http://www.idealist.org/en/jobs/82131:151/111853:267
<http://www.idealist.org/en/jobs/82131:151/111853:267> >

**

21. Seeds of Solidarity Farm Apprenticeship

May- September, 2004

Do you want to spend a season immersed in the growing and marketing of salad
mix, specialty greens, flowers and garlic? Our farming philosophy
emphasizes soil building and worm production through permanent no-till
raised beds in which high quality vegetables are grown intensively for
restaurants and food co-ops. We use solar greenhouses to extend the growing
season, solar electricity to power our farm and buildings, and biodiesel
(vegetable based fuel) to fuel our vehicles.

We are looking for hardworking individuals that want to live and breathe
farming. Farm apprentices may also take part in programs of Seeds of
Solidarity Education Center, our non-profit wing, including SOL(Seeds of
Leadership) Garden- a program for local teens, the SOL Patrol- a van that
brings workshops on agricultural and renewable energy to festivals and
schools, and the North Quabbin Garlic and Arts Festival which we organize
with our neighbors.

For more info: <www.seedsofsolidarity.org>

**

-- CALL TO ACTION & OTHER REQUESTS --

22. Speak Out Now For Better Food in Schools

Find out how you can help secure federal legislation for Farm-to- Cafeteria
programs.
Read the action alert on The Food Project¹s website:
http://www.thefoodproject.org/Action_Alert.pdf

**

-- RESOURCES --

23. Northeast Center for Food Entrepreneurship

Provides comprehensive assistance to beginning and established food
entrepreneurs, thus promoting sustainable economic development of rural
communities.

Check out the website: http://www.nysaes.cornell.edu/necfe/
<http://www.nysaes.cornell.edu/necfe/>

**

24. ³Rooting the Community, Growing the Future: Two Massachusetts Urban
Agriculture Organizations and their Social Impacts²

Iris Ahronowitz recently completed her senior thesis at Harvard University
focusing on Nuestras Raices in Holyoke, Mass, and The Food Project in Boston
and Lincoln, Mass. Read it on our website: www.thefoodproject.org
<http://www.thefoodproject.org/> .

To contact Iris, email ahronow@fas.harvard.edu
<mailto:ahronow@fas.harvard.edu> .

**

-- JOIN BLAST! --

25. BLAST is a global network of youth and adults working together to build
sustainable food systems. Through BLAST, we will foster a new generation of
leaders who create innovative solutions to the problems we face in our
existing food system. Find out how to get involved at:
http://www.thefoodproject.org/BLAST_brochure.pdf

The e-BLAST is just one benefit of joining The Food Project¹s BLAST Network.
To learn more about BLAST and find out how to join, please contact Anim
Steel at asteel@thefoodproject.org or call 617-442-1322, ext. 17.

  • [Livingontheland] Food Project's e-BLAST Bulletin #4, Tradingpost, 04/09/2004