livingontheland - [Livingontheland] Fwd: food retailing in LA

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Tradingpost" <tradingpost@gilanet.com>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org, Minifarms@aol.com
  • Cc:
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] Fwd: food retailing in LA
  • Date: Sun, 07 Mar 2004 12:37:10 -0700

Ken has it right, as he has all along

*********** BEGIN FORWARDED MESSAGE ***********
Andy Fisher's article from the LA Times is really interesting. As I read it
all I could see were the unlimited opportunities this opens up for small
farmers. Each day more people want to buy local, buy fresh, buy organic. On
food show last night the subject was tomatoes. The host [sitting in a farmers
market] stated that if you want good-tasting tomatoes, "You must buy them from
the local producers such as at this farmers market." Tomatoes that must be
shipped long distances to get to the table are picked green and gassed. He
said
they never ripen; they just turn red. You are still eating a "green" tomato.
Shoe leather tastes better. Small farmers have the most opportunities at this
time than they have had in decades.

Ken Hargesheimer

Ken Hargesheimer

*********** END FORWARDED MESSAGE ***********

  • [Livingontheland] Fwd: food retailing in LA, Tradingpost, 03/07/2004