livingontheland - [Livingontheland] Re: [Off Grid Living and Homesteading] Mortgage free living Dave Ramsey show

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Tradingpost" <tradingpost@gilanet.com>
  • To: offgridlivingandhomesteading@yahoogroups.com, livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc:
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] Re: [Off Grid Living and Homesteading] Mortgage free living Dave Ramsey show
  • Date: Sun, 29 Feb 2004 11:56:01 -0700

You said
> Some people are frugal because it is a fun game to play with their
>other well to do friends.
> The truely frugal folks are the ones that have no choice in the
>matter.

Sad but true -- today. But before the years of easy credit and before the new
television told us we all had to have a separate "modern" home for each grown
child and their family, and had to have the latest "labor saving" appliances,
people lived differently.

Extended families lived together instead of everybody taking out separate
mortgages. Grandparents helped with children and cooking while parents did
the chores around the home, instead of paying for day care outside the home.
They grew much of their own food and swapped with neighbors who had what they
didn't have. They knew how to use a few store supplies to cook, clean, mend,
build, and so forth. With few outside paying jobs, everybody was free to do
what needed doing around the house or farm. Building codes didn't make a
fortune for developers and builders, and didn't impoverish the homeowner.
Cooking and heating with wood or coal was simple but time consuming, yet they
had the time to do these things. With fewer and simpler appliances, electric
and even phone bills were very low. Clothing was simple. Buying school
supplies wasn't a major budget buster, and schools were smaller and closer to
home so getting kids to school every day didn't take a big chunck of their
time - and they knew who the kids were hanging out with. Getting born didn't
take spending a fortune, and getting buried didn't either. For some reason,
they seemed to be healthier, maybe because they didn't spend their whole
lives sitting at work or in front of the TV. Health care depended on a local
doctor and home remedies known to someone close by. They entertained
themselves instead of spending more money for canned commercial music and
videos.

Everything they did for themselves meant spending less and needing less
outside income to get by. It can be argued that they ate better, slept
better, and lived with a lot less stress than our commercialized, drugged,
entertained society today. If we want to live on less today we better learn
from the grandparents. If all we want to do is dabble in trendy lifestyles,
then we'll be the losers when hard times hit again. And they always do.

paul tradingpost@gilanet.com

--Henry David Thoreau
That is well said, replied Candide, but we must cultivate our garden.
--Voltaire [Francois-Marie Arouet] Candide