livingontheland - [Livingontheland] Bush proposes to ax ATTRA!

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Tradingpost" <tradingpost@gilanet.com>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org, nmgreens@yahoogroups.com
  • Cc:
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] Bush proposes to ax ATTRA!
  • Date: Tue, 03 Feb 2004 21:34:12 -0700

From: Jane Sooby <jane@OFRF.ORG>
Subject: Bush proposes to ax ATTRA!

Greetings:
We're well past the last straw by now; however, I am discovering a
renewed capability of having my mind blown by the caprices of
politics. No doubt everyone will receive organizing e-mails etc. on
this issue, and the other egregious cuts in important sust/organic
programs proposed in the Bush budget. Aargh, I'm getting a lump in my
throat! How could anyone even think to X out ATTRA???

>From a press release by Teresa Opheim, Executive Director, Midwest
Sustainable Agriculture Working Group and National Coordinator,
Sustainable Ag Coalition:

"The Presidentís budget proposes eliminating the highly-rated and
effective Appropriate Technology Transfer for Rural Areas or ATTRA
program. Currently funded at $2.5 million, the program is the major
source of sustainable and organic agriculture production and marketing
information for farmers, extension agents, and other agricultural
professionals. The proposed budget also would scale back funding for
the Sustainable Agriculture Research and Education (SARE) program by
22 percent to $13 million. The proposal would also reduce the research
and extension program to help farmers transition to organic
agriculture by 74 percent to just $500,000."

I encourage everyone to visit the MSAWG website at_ www.msawg.org
_to find out what you can do about this, and to do everything you can
to get involved in this year's presidential election so that we get
someone in that office who is friendlier to farmers and to the
environment.

I personally am participating in voter registration and
get-out-the-vote activities, and encourage everyone who can to
consider taking similar action so that we can have a real election
this time.

Peace,

Jane Sooby
technical program coordinator