livingontheland - [Livingontheland] The Dollar Stretcher

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Tradingpost" <tradingpost@gilanet.com>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] The Dollar Stretcher
  • Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2004 20:35:56 -0700

The Dollar Stretcher

"Living Better...For Less"
January 19, 2004
Volume 9, Number 3

send a blank
mailto:leave-dollar-stretcher-2-795254F@hub.thedollarstretcher.com

"The Dollar Stretcher" and Dollar Stretcher, Inc. does not
assume responsibility for advice given. All advice should be
weighed against your own abilities and circumstances and
applied accordingly. It is up to the reader to determine if
advice is safe and suitable for his/her own situation.

In This Issue:

Introduction

Smallest Bill? Or Highest Rate?
by Gary Foreman
Digging your way out of a financial hole

Conscious Cleaning Solutions
by Dalit Holzman
Non-hazardous, inexpensive alternatives

My Story: The Art of Downsizing
contributed by Patricia Nixon
Scale back for a less cluttered lifestyle

His Car Ticks
Ask Bob: The Auto Answer Man
Worn EGR tube

Tips, Quips, Quotes & Questions

On www.Stretcher.com This Week

Introduction
by Gary Foreman
gary@stretcher.com

Hello to all my Frugal Friends!

I wanted to begin by thanking everyone who sent in their
suggestions on how we could improve TDS and their best savings
idea from the last year. There are so many that we probably
won't be able to respond to each one individually. But, we
WILL be considering all of them and will use as many ideas and
tips as we can.

If one of your resolutions was to lose some weight, you might
want to check 'On the Website This Week' for the article on
the "10 Secrets of the Diet Industry."

Also wanted to wish a happy Martin Luther King Jr. day to
everyone!

All the Best!
Gary

Our Sponsor

"Americans are carrying more debt than ever before, and are
behind payments in record numbers," -- New York Post

Did you start 2004 with more debt than you started 2003?
Probably. Refinancing...Zero Interest loans...New mortgages...
Were all HOT in 2003. Bankruptcies were HOT, too, reaching
1.66 million...the highest number ever recorded in U.S.
history. Despite this alarming trend, thousands have
discovered how to save their financial lives by paying off
their debts -- fast! Resolve today to live a debt-free,
stress-free life. Get Lesson 1, FREE!

Click or goto: http://www.debtintowealth.com/stretcher.html or
send email to: stretcher@debtintowealth.com

Smallest Bill? Or Highest Rate?
by Gary Foreman
Digging your way out of a financial hole

My husband and I have accumulated some credit card debt, a
personal loan from my mom, and a home equity line of credit.
Recently getting married, purchasing our first home, and some
medical bills have really put a hurt on our budget. Some
advice that I have read says that one should pay off the debt
with the highest interest rate first. Other advice says to pay
off the smallest debt first and work my way up the debt
ladder. Which one is the most effective in our situation?
Amy

According to the Federal Reserve, currently there is over $1.7
trillion in consumer debt. So an awful lot of people are
facing the very same choice. So let's see if we can figure out
what would work best for Amy.

Paying the debt with the highest interest rate will reduce the
total debt quicker. The reason is clear. The higher the
interest rate, the more interest is added to the balance you
owe each month.

Suppose you owed money on two different accounts. The first
account charges 5% interest. Paying off $1,000 would save Amy
$4.17 per month in interest expense ($1,000 times 0.05 divided
by 12 months).

Now suppose the second account charges 10% interest. Paying
off $1,000 would save $8.33 per month. Clearly, she'll save
more, and reduce her balance quicker, if she pays off the
account the highest interest rate.

But, there is a risk to this strategy. It might take Amy quite
awhile to pay the entire balance of the account with the
highest interest. And, after 6 or 8 months of trying she might
get discouraged and be tempted to give up if she's still
writing a check to them each month.

Let's face it. Some people are more determined than others.
And some of us need immediate feedback or gratification.

One way to get that positive feedback is to have an account
disappear because it's been entirely paid off. The fact that
it's the account with the smallest balance doesn't matter.

What's best for Amy? Paying off the highest rate of interest
first is the most efficient answer. But depending on Amy's
personality, paying off the one with the smallest balance
might be the best answer.

Before she decides, there are other ways to get positive
feedback as you pay down debts. One simple way is to watch
your total indebtedness drop each month. Just list the balance
on all your accounts and add them up. Then compare the totals
after a few months. Notice how the mountain of debt is getting
a little smaller. If Amy is into visuals, she could keep a
running graph of the total.

Another way to encourage yourself is to watch the amount of
interest owed drop each month. Remember that the interest you
owe each month doesn't buy you anything. It's the price you
pay for borrowing the money some time in the past.

Just list the interest charged by all of your accounts and
total it. Again, compare it to the total from a few months
ago. If the total amount owed is going down, so should the
amount of interest that you pay each month.

Watching her balances drop might not be enough for Amy. She
might be one of those people who won't feel successful until
she's writing fewer checks each month. If that's the case, she
should pay off the smallest account first so she feels like
she's making progress.

Amy will probably find that her most expensive debt is on
credit cards. The least expensive will be her mortgage. If
she's sure that they don't have a problem with uncontrolled
spending, they might even want to use a home equity loan to
pay off some higher interest debt. But only if they're not
"spendaholics."

One other strategy would be to pay off one or two of the small
accounts to get started. Once Amy is past the point of needing
encouragement, she can shift to paying more on the accounts
with the highest interest.

Finally, it's more important that Amy starts now than which
account she pays first. Each month she delays all of the
accounts add to the interest owed. The hole gets a little
deeper. It's better to pay off low interest debt, than no debt
at all.
_____________

Gary Foreman is a former financial planner who currently edits
The Dollar Stretcher website <www.stretcher.com>

Conscious Cleaning Solutions
by Dalit Holzman
Non-hazardous, inexpensive alternatives

The big-brand household cleaning products are tough on both
the wallet and the environment. Non-hazardous alternatives can
be mixed up and stored in labeled reused containers (old hair-
spray bottles or the like). What's more is that almost all the
ingredients are commonly found around the house. And if not,
they can be bought for next to nothing at a local dollar-
store. Here are just a few suggestions of effective solutions.

All Purpose Cleaner

Mix one quart of hot water with 1/4 cup sudsy ammonia, 1/4 cup
white vinegar and one tablespoon of baking soda

Brass & Copper Cleaner

Mix salt and either lemon juice or hot vinegar

Carpet Cleaner

Sprinkle cornstarch on dry carpet and vacuum after five
minutes.

Carpet Shampoo

Mix 1/2 cup of pure liquid dishwashing soap and two cups of
boiling water; let it cool and then whip to jelly. Rub carpet
gently with mix and dampened sponge. Then rinse with cloth and
one quart of water with one cup of white vinegar. Wipe carpet
dry with a clean cloth.

Chrome Cleaner

Use hot water with either rubbing alcohol or ammonia.

Difficult Laundry Stains

Blood: Soak the item in cold water or hydrogen peroxide or
apply a mixture of cornstarch and talcum powder or cornmeal
and water; dry and brush away.

Chewing Gum: Rub with ice and flake off.

Coffee: Try egg yolk with warm water

Fruit and Wine: Immediately pour on salt or hot water and soak
in milk.

Grease: Pour on boiling water and then follow by baking soda.

Heavy Soils: Rub with a solution made up of two tablespoons of
washing soda and one cup of warm water.

Ink: Soak in milk or hydrogen peroxide.

Lipstick: Rub with cold cream or shortening and wash with
washing soda.

Mildew: Rub strong soap and salt on spots; place in sunlight
while keeping spots moist.

Rust: Soak with sour milk or lemon juice and rub with salt;
dry in sun and wash.

Scorches: Boil the article in one cup of soap and two quarts
of milk.

Dish Cleaner

Use soap flakes in hot water. Add vinegar for tough grease
when necessary.

Dishwasher Detergent

Mix Borax and washing soda in a one-to-one ratio or Borax and
baking soda in a two-to-one ratio.

Disinfectant

Dissolve 1/8 cup of Borax in one quart of hot water.

Drain Cleaner

Pour 1/4 cup of baking soda and 1/2 cup of vinegar into the
drain. Cover the drain until fizzing stops and then flush with
boiling water.

Furniture Polish

Use olive oil on unvarnished wood. On varnished wood, spray
lightly with two tablespoons of olive oil, one tablespoon of
white vinegar and one quart of water and let it dry.

Glass Cleaner

Spray with a mixture of 1/8 cup of vinegar, 1/2 cup of ammonia
and one quart of water. Then dry with crumpled newspaper.

Laundry Detergent

During water fill, add 1/3 cup of washing soda. Put in the
clothes and then add one cup of pure soap. During the rinse
cycle, add 1/4 cup of vinegar as softener.

Oven Cleaner

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Put a non-aluminum pan with
1/4 cup of ammonia and water in the oven, with door closed,
overnight. Scrub clean with baking soda in the morning.

Pest Spray for Foliage

Garlic Water: Mix two tablespoons of garlic juice, one ounce
of diatomaceous earth, one teaspoon of rubbing alcohol and
four quarts of water. This can be frozen.

Pepper Water: Blend three very hot peppers, 1/2 onion and
garlic clove in water. Boil the mixture, steep for two days,
and strain. This is good for indoor plants too, and it can be
frozen.

Soap: Use two tablespoons of pure liquid soap or 50 grams of
pure dry soap per quart of water.

Tobacco Water: Let a large handful of tobacco stand in four
quarts of warm water for 24 hours; dilute and spray (poisonous
to humans).

Silver Cleaner

Immerse silver in a mixture of one quart of water, one
tablespoon of salt, and one tablespoon of baking soda; bring
to a boil. Remove, rinse and polish.

Toilet Bowl Cleaner

Apply a paste of lemon juice and Borax. Let this stand for two
hours.

Tooth Cleaner Phosphate-Free

Use baking soda with lemon juice and mint extract.

Tub and Tile Cleaner

Scrub with baking soda, washing soda or Borax.

Upholstery Cleaner

Mix six tablespoons of soap flakes, two tablespoons of Borax
and two cups of boiling water; cool and shake vigorously. On a
small area, brush in only suds with soft circular motions and
remove with a soft cloth.

Wood Floor Polish

Mix 1/8 cup of melted paraffin in one quart of mineral oil.
Apply with a cloth. Then dry and polish your floor.
__________________

Dalit Holzman lives as frugally as possible with her husband
and new baby daughter in beautiful Vancouver, Canada. She can
be reached at dalit@shaw.ca

Our Sponsor

Budgeting Made Easy - Truly Save Money

Effortlessly organize and control your money. Know where you
are in your finances As You Make Each Transaction.

The unique BudgetMap system fits in your checkbook and
replaces your check register - as you continue to use your
existing checks. You can take it with you!

"BudgetMap takes the simple yet effective envelope method of
money management and applies it to a checking account.
BudgetMap is Compact, Tidy and Amazingly effective - worth
your consideration, even if its name does include the dreaded
b-word!" - Mary Hunt, author of Debt-Proof Living.

Compare with any other budgeting system. See it NOW at:
<http://www.budgetmap.com/click.here/dollarstretcher/20040119>

My Story: The Art of Downsizing
contributed by Patricia Nixon
Scale back for a less cluttered lifestyle

After living in a large, roomy two-bedroom apartment
practically all my life, I was seriously shocked at all I'd
found when it was time to move. While I'm not a pack rat, I've
always bought in bulk as often as I could. So when I was
boxing up my kitchen, I found boxes upon boxes of salt, bags
and bags of beans, and can goods that had puffed up because
they were so old. I'm single and don't even have children!
Although I always felt blessed when times were hard and I
could look in my cabinet and see ample amounts of provisions,
now that I'm moving into a smaller one-bedroom apartment, my
frugality must flow to fit my current space (or lack thereof).

One thing that has been noted for years now is that people
tend to use less of a product when they have a smaller amount
with which to work. For instance, it's the natural inclination
to use less of a smaller bottle of household cleaner to clean
the same mess you would with a larger bottle. You see more and
so you use more. Having less to start with, you're more
inclined to ration out the portions more thoughtfully.

For me, this will be worked into my new and revised approach
to frugality, as I just don't have the space I did previously
to store two or three of everything. I have half the cabinet
space in my kitchen now, and I'm reduced to one less closet to
store clothes, blankets, shoes and tons of books. While some
might consider this a sad day, I'm truly joyous as it's an
opportunity to methodically analyze how I spend money, how
much I really need of everything, and I can scale back for a
more comfortable, less cluttered lifestyle.

My first week I'll spend going through every item I plan to
hang in my closet. If it doesn't fit or it's just not my style
anymore, it is being donated to my local church. Any shoes
that are too tight will go the same route, and those that are
oldies and goodies but need shining or repair will be dropped
off at the shoe shop. If it's a high-end piece, like an almost
unused size 4 leather jacket, it'll go on eBay.

I have about four comforters that take up a lot of space, and
at most, I use one blanket and a comforter on top of it in
even the coldest of winters. The good thing is I have two
reversible duvet covers. By just getting rid of two of the
comforters, I've still got six different looks and more closet
space! I got rid of all my old sheets, but plan to buy only
three sets of 300 thread count sheets. It's not hard to find
some irregulars for a full size bed at about $39 a set, but
the higher thread count is worn down less by more frequent
washing so they will last longer. Besides, I just love how
they feel.

In my old apartment, I had a separate closet just filled with
hair and beauty items that often were half-used or forgotten.
Now I'm allocating just the cabinet under the bathroom sink
for all beauty, hair and health items. No new hair conditioner
until the last bottle is used. Goodbye to 12 different shades
of red nail polish, foot soaks, body scrubs, and separate
lotions for feet, hands, back, thighs, neck, nose and tummy!
Epsom salt is great for soaks and makes a great body scrub,
too. A trick I use is to pour in a couple inches of Epsom salt
into a big clear container, add a few drops of essential oil,
repeat until the container is full, and cover. I keep it right
by the bathtub. The scent permeates the mixture. When time for
a bath, a handful tossed into the tub gives you soothing
scented bliss and it's natural.

While my kitchen is smaller (I can literally walk in, cook,
turn on the dishwasher and back my way out), fortunately I can
still fit my separate freezer in it so savings still abound.
But I will save cabinet spices by being mindful of things as
simple as seasonings. I've been such a sucker for every kind
of seasoning just for fish, just for chicken, just for this
and just for that. Same basic ingredients mixed in different
ways. Sticking to the basics like oregano, thyme, coriander,
and plain seasoned salt lends to creative cooking, cost
savings, and less cluttered cabinet space.

And a home phone bill will be a thing of the past for me. I
thought this one out and realized that whenever someone
doesn't get me at home, they call me at work or on my cell
phone. A home phone has fees connected even if I never use it,
whereas my cell phone plan allows me free minutes from 8 p.m.
through 7 a.m. and all weekend long. I'm never left idle
waiting for a call. On the rare occasion (not once so far this
year!) I have to get a fax, I have a free email fax service,
and if I need to send one, there are plenty of local places I
can run to and pay a small fee.

Any incomplete place settings and flatware sets, as well as
books that collected dust for years, will all go on either
Half.com or eBay.com. It's like getting paid for cleaning out
my closet and decluttering my life. My new home will be filled
with only the things I love and cherish.

While I will still shop at supermarkets that double coupons
and shop for the best bargain in price and quality in all
purchases, I will no longer be looking for the largest
amounts. Here's how I look at it. Having good food to eat, a
warm and comfortable place to sleep, and knowing that
everything in my closet is wearable is a little piece of
frugal heaven.
_______________________

"My Story" is a regular feature of The Dollar Stretcher. If
you have a story that could help save time or money please
send it by mailto:MyStory@stretcher.com Copyright 2003,
Patricia Nixon

His Car Ticks
Ask Bob: The Auto Answer Man
Worn EGR tube

Hi Bob,
My 1998 Toyota T100 V6 with 120K miles started making a subtle
ticking noise coming from the right front of the engine today.
I noticed this when idling (and at the exact same moment the
car started to idle roughly). The truck still had the same
amount of power, but when I would rev the motor, the ticking
would get louder.

I checked the oil (it was a quart low) and filled it up. It
still made the same noise. The oil pressure was slightly low.
I decided to take the truck for a very slow and easy drive
around the block, after five minutes the ticking noise turned
into a much louder popping noise (sounding like air was being
blown out of my engine). The car started to idle much rougher
at this point and I limped it home (never going over 5 mph).

I have a feeling I blew a head gasket. If that is what it is,
how much should a garage charge me to fix it?
Glenn

Glenn,
It may not be that bad. You may have worn out your EGR tube.
This is a system on a car that recirculates exhaust gases back
into the engine. This is supposed to help reduce pollution. If
the tube that connects the exhaust to the valve breaks, it may
cause a problem.
Good Luck!
Drive Safely!
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
_____________________

If you have a question for Bob send it to:
AskBob@stretcher.com He's able to answer many of them
personally and we'll include the best questions in future
issues of The Dollar Stretcher.

Our Sponsor

Know for sure if the "Sale" is really a sale!

The Dollar Stretcher Price Book

This tiny little book (fits easily into your purse) is a tool
to help you compare prices for all of the items you regularly
buy.

The feature filled book includes a calculator, pockets for
your coupons and receipts, slots for credit cards and frequent
shopper cards, pen loop, and tips for keeping your Price Book.

To see this powerful tool visit
<http://www.stretcher.com/resource/PxBook>

Tips, Quips, Quotes and Questions

*********
Can You Help This Reader?
*********
Needs Encouragement

I am single and have been on a self-imposed debt repayment
program for the last four years, reducing my debt from $20,000
to $5,000. According to my figures, these debts should be paid
off in about one year.

This is great, but I have been having discouraging thoughts.
It's been four years of pretty tight living. I do not want to
charge or buy any thing extravagant. I just think I need a few
words of encouragement. Has anyone else felt this way?
Kathy

Please send your answers mailto:CanYouHelp@stretcher.com with
"Encouragement" as the subject. We'll include the best
solutions in future issues.

*********
Yes, We Can Help This Reader
Retirement Party
*********

I was involved in the planning of a retirement party for
someone who had worked 35 years at the company. These were
some of the best ideas of our event.

Collect photographs from the working environment from day one
to present. Try to have about 100 or more photos. Scan the
photos into a PowerPoint presentation and set the presentation
on "loop." Set this up in a corner of the room and just let it
run all night. We even got some family photos from his wife
and put those in the presentation too. People will migrate
over to the slide presentation the whole evening long. We also
copied the presentation onto a CD and gave it to our retiree.
It was his favorite gift.

For table decorations, we gave each table a theme. Our retiree
was a civil engineer, a boy scout leader, a photographer, a
father, a husband, an antique car buff, an Army veteran, and a
collector of hats. We used each of these parts of his life as
a theme for each of the tables. At each of the tables, we
provided a short description of the reason these items were
here and how they applied to the retiree's life. The result
was magical and impressive. For example, at the Civil Engineer
table, we placed blueprints, hardhat, drawing tools, boots,
etc. Our retiree's wife was very helpful and let us scrounge
through their house for decor items. The tables created quite
a sensation among all the guests, and since we borrowed the
items, it was free!
Lois

more suggestions on throwing a retirement party at
<http://www.stretcher.com/stories/04/04jan19a.cfm>

*********
Yes, We Can Help This Reader
Leaving Your Home In Winter
*********

Do not turn off your furnace when leaving a home in cold.
Otherwise, you are likely to return home to a frozen mess when
water pipes burst. I speak from experience.

Instead, turn your heat down to about 55 degrees and turn off
your water heater if it is in an enclosed area that never goes
below freezing. If you wish, slightly lower the setting on
your refrigerator. You can do this because it will not be
opened, which lets in warmer air.

It can be useful to invest in a variable timer, which turns
lights on and off at random times, so the house looks lived
in. In the resort area where my parents live full-time, their
neighbors ask them to park in their unused driveways while
they are away. You might have neighbors who are willing to do
this to make your house look occupied.
Barbara

more suggestions on how to safely leave your home during
winter months at
<http://www.stretcher.com/stories/04/04jan19b.cfm>

*********
Emergency Bills and Credit Cards

Emergency car expenses may have to go on the credit card, but
medical bills should not. If you are unable to pay your
medical bills, you should call the provider and discuss the
situation with the billing office.

They can set you up on a payment plan (and I don't believe
they can charge you interest, although that may vary depending
on the provider and the state). As long as you contact them
and are making payments on the bill, they cannot turn it over
to a collection agency.
Allison

*********
Beyond the Dryer Vent

Besides cleaning the dryer vent, periodically take the top of
your dryer and vacuum out the inside. You would be surprised
at the amount of lint you will get. When I had to replace the
belt on my secondhand dryer, I was shocked at the amount of
lint inside, even mice had built nests in it at the previous
owners.

If the belt had not broken, I would have ended up with a major
fire. By the way, I have a flexible hose with a vented plastic
cup at the end. I fill the cup halfway with water and it
catches lint being expelled.
Ida-Mae K.
Proton Station, Ontario, Canada

*********
Preventing Drafts

Last summer, I bought a few pair of knee-high wool socks at a
yard sale for mere pennies, and filled them with generic brand
white rice. Some people use sand, but your socks would have to
be very closely woven. Placing them along all doors and drafty
windows have definitely kept my toes warmer this winter! I
believe these are called draft dodgers.
Nichole N.

*********

Please send your tips by mailto:Tips@stretcher.com If we use
your tip or reply to 'Can You Help' in any of our
publications, we'll send you the next three issues of our
print newsletter as a "thank you."

Receive Dollar Stretcher Tips twice each week. More great
ideas for saving money! Just send mailto:sub-ds-
tips@hub.thedollarstretcher.com

On www.Stretcher.com This Week
<http://www.stretcher.com>

editor's note: Hotmail and WebTV users may have trouble with
some addresses. Please access them from our front page
<www.stretcher.com>

5 Money Moves Sure to Doom 2004
Check out our cures for the Top 5 money mistakes people make
Story Here - http://www.stretcher.com/brm/04/04jan08a.htm </a>

7 Ways to Avoid Going Without Health Insurance
Some 44 million Americans are going without health insurance.
But several viable options can protect you against disaster
Story Here - http://www.stretcher.com/brm/04/04jan12c.htm </a>

10 Secrets of the Diet Industry
Is herbal really safer? What's the deal with 'money-back'
guarantees? Here's the skinny on promises made by weight loss
companies
Story Here - http://www.stretcher.com/brm/04/04jan13a.htm </a>

Organize Your Children and Save Your Sanity
by Gregory Thomas
Making your children responsible for their belongings
Story Here - http://www.stretcher.com/stories/04/04jan19g.cfm
</a>

Employment Scam Recruits Victims to Crime
Accepting a job with these bogus firms will cost you your
identity and make you an unwitting accomplice to crime
Story Here - http://www.stretcher.com/brm/04/04jan10a.htm </a>

7 Ways to Save at Thrift Stores
by Kathryn Jones
Leave your shopping trips with money to spare
Story Here - http://www.stretcher.com/stories/04/04jan19h.cfm
</a>

Bankruptcy Not a Matter of Convenience
In the long run it could be very inconvenient to wreck your
credit
Story Here - http://www.stretcher.com/brm/04/04jan09c.htm </a>

Ground Beef, Macaroni and Tomato Casserole
courtesy of Chet's Crock
Another fabulous crock pot recipe from Chet
Story Here - http://www.stretcher.com/stories/04/04jan19j.cfm
</a>

Retirement Party Ideas
Making a retirement party memorable for less
Story Here - http://www.stretcher.com/stories/04/04jan19a.cfm
</a>

Winter Home Shutdown
Safeguarding your home during winter absences
Story Here - http://www.stretcher.com/stories/04/04jan19b.cfm
</a>

List of Paperwork for Your Heirs
Don't make it hard to get your estate in order
Story Here - http://www.stretcher.com/brm/04/04jan07a.htm </a>

Avoid Family Feuds, Write a Good Will
Don't let hard feelings and fights be your heritage
Story Here - http://www.stretcher.com/brm/04/04jan07b.htm </a>

Celebrity Finances
The King's Fortune Lives On - Elvis Presley, is richer than
ever, thanks to the woman who divorced him
Story Here - http://www.stretcher.com/brm/04/04jan08b.htm </a>

Change Your Mortgage
As the new year dawns, it's a good time to review your
mortgage choice. The one you made years ago may not fit any
more
Story Here - http://www.stretcher.com/brm/04/04jan08c.htm </a>

Fatal Attraction to an ATM Card
Just because it says you have a balance doesn't mean you have
to spend it
Story Here - http://www.stretcher.com/brm/04/04jan09a.htm </a>

Celebrity Finances
Comic Jeff Garlin of the HBO hit "Curb Your Enthusiasm" has
learned that you have to put seats in the chairs to get the
big bucks
Story Here - http://www.stretcher.com/brm/04/04jan07c.htm </a>

Student Entrepreneurs Earning $$$
Colleges offering opportunity and facilities for starting
businesses
Story Here - http://www.stretcher.com/brm/04/04jan09b.htm </a>

A Good To-Do List Is Important for Success
But here's how to mess it up
Story Here - http://www.stretcher.com/brm/04/04jan12a.htm </a>

2004: The Year of the Rate Hike
It's all but certain the Fed will raise interest rates some
time this year. But don't bet on many
Story Here - http://www.stretcher.com/brm/04/04jan12b.htm </a>

More Frequent Payments Don't Reduce a Loan Much
The primary advantage comes from the early payment of
principal
Story Here - http://www.stretcher.com/brm/04/04jan07d.htm </a>

Comparing CDs and Savings Bonds
It depends on your investment horizon and the likelihood of
early redemption
Story Here - http://www.stretcher.com/brm/04/04jan08d.htm </a>

Using Retirement Money to Finance Education
You would be better off to use student loans and save your IRA
Story Here - http://www.stretcher.com/brm/04/04jan12d.htm </a>

Paying Debts With an Inheritance
Paying down the student loans could help you get a bigger
mortgage
Story Here - http://www.stretcher.com/brm/04/04jan13b.htm </a>

Readers' Tips
Story Here - http://www.stretcher.com/stories/04/04jan19t.cfm
</a>

Special Tax Section

Figuring Out Your Filing Status
Don't just assume you're choosing the filing status that is
best for you. There are five, each with special requirements
and tax advantages
Story Here - http://www.stretcher.com/brm/04/04jan10b.htm </a>

Deducing the Best Deduction Method
Deductions reduce your taxable income. Here's how to determine
whether the standard or itemized approach will help you get
the smallest tax bill
Story Here - http://www.stretcher.com/brm/04/04jan10c.htm </a>

How to Pick a Tax Pro
Good tax help isn't hard to find as long as you know what to
look for in a tax preparer
Story Here - http://www.stretcher.com/brm/04/04jan10d.htm </a>

Special Deductions for Some Filers
If you're older or blind, you get a larger standard deduction,
but only if you check the correct boxes on your tax return
Story Here - http://www.stretcher.com/brm/04/04jan10e.htm </a>

Dependents Mean Tax Savings
The people you supported can help reduce your tax bill, as
long as they meet all of the IRS's dependency tests
Story Here - http://www.stretcher.com/brm/04/04jan10f.htm </a>

Spending Accounts and the Child-Care Credit
In some cases, you can claim the child-care tax credit for
expenses that exceed your spending account amount. But, not in
every instance
Story Here - http://www.stretcher.com/brm/04/04jan07e.htm </a>

Taxation of Legal Settlement Proceeds
Your attorney may get a portion of your settlement, but the
IRS still considers that amount as income paid to you
Story Here - http://www.stretcher.com/brm/04/04jan08e.htm </a>

Stopping Social Security Taxes
Two jobs means too much Social Security tax was withheld. Our
tax expert tells how to get that money back
Story Here - http://www.stretcher.com/brm/04/04jan13c.htm </a>

Selecting a Tax Software Program
Filling out your return on your computer can be quick and easy
as long as you get a software program that fits your tax needs
Story Here - http://www.stretcher.com/brm/04/04jan10g.htm </a>

IRS Looks at Free E-Filers
Just who is using Uncle Sam's free electronic filing program?
The IRS says it needs to know as part of routine data
collection. But some say this violates taxpayer privacy
Story Here - http://www.stretcher.com/brm/04/04jan10h.htm </a>

Decision-Making Tools

For Your Home
- <a href="http://www.stretcher.com/brm/home1.htm";>
Rent or Buy Your Next Home?</a>
- <a href="http://www.stretcher.com/brm/home2.htm";>
Mortgage Calculator</a>
- <a href="http://www.stretcher.com/brm/home3.htm";>
15-Year or 30-Year Mortgage?</a>
- <a href="http://www.stretcher.com/brm/home4.htm";>
Fixed or Adjustable Rate Mortgage?</a>
- <a href="http://www.stretcher.com/brm/home5.htm";>
Mortgage Points Adviser</a>

For Your Car
- <a href="http://www.stretcher.com/brm/car1.htm";>
How much car can you afford?</a>
- <a href="http://www.stretcher.com/brm/car2.htm";>
Buy or lease your next car?</a>
- <a href="http://www.stretcher.com/brm/car3.htm";>
Your next car:</a> New or used?
- <a href="http://www.stretcher.com/brm/car4.htm";>
Auto Loan Calculator</a>
- <a href="http://www.stretcher.com/brm/car5.htm";>
Is a hybrid car right for you?</a>

Publication Information: Copyright "The Dollar Stretcher,
Inc." 2004. ISSN 1527-2974. All Rights reserved. Copies may be
distributed without alteration electronically free of charge.
This newsletter may be reproduced, without alteration, for
non-commercial purposes without prior permission. "The Dollar
Stretcher" is distributed via email each week between Sunday
noon and Tuesday 8PM United States Eastern Time. The
newsletter runs approximately 34k in length. All articles are
printed with the author's prior consent. It is assumed that
any questions, tips, or replies to questions may be reprinted.
The name and email address of the sender will not be used
unless specifically requested or approved. All letters become
the property of "The Dollar Stretcher, Inc".

Subscription Information: "The Dollar Stretcher" is a free
weekly newsletter.

To Subscribe
send sub-dollar-stretcher@hub.thedollarstretcher.com or visit
http://www.stretcher.com/menu/subscrib.cfm

If you'd like the newsletter sent as a .txt file attachment to
an email send mailto:sub-dollar-stretcher-
attach@hub.thedollarstretcher.com

To Unsubscribe
send mailto:leave-dollar-stretcher-2-795254F@hub.thedollarstretcher.com

If you have a problem subscribing or unsubscribing send
mailto:LWilson@xc.org and a real live human being will try to
solve the problem.

Sponsorship Information is available by
mailto:marketing@stretcher.com
The Dollar Stretcher reaches over 150,000 readers every week.

copyright 2004 The Dollar Stretcher, Inc.
All rights reserved.

The Dollar Stretcher
PO Box 14160
Bradenton FL 34280-4160

gary@stretcher.com
http://www.stretcher.com
phone: 941-752-6693
fax 941-752-1624

mailto:leave-dollar-stretcher-2-795254F@hub.thedollarstretcher.com

  • [Livingontheland] The Dollar Stretcher, Tradingpost, 01/18/2004