livingontheland - [Livingontheland] Fw: Livingontheland Digest, Vol 9, Issue 17 Comments on Robert Waldrop recommendations

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Kisan Mehta" <kisansbc@vsnl.com>
  • To: <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>, <livingontheland-owner@lists.ibiblio.org>, <rmwj@soonernet.com>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] Fw: Livingontheland Digest, Vol 9, Issue 17 Comments on Robert Waldrop recommendations
  • Date: Mon, 1 Dec 2003 14:17:24 +0530

Dear Friends,

I am venturing to forward my comments hereunder on
Robert Waldrop recommendations. I am referring to only which
can be incorporated to bring consistency and to remove
virrationality:

*In Precept 3, Robert recommends practising no-violence. Should we not
insist on extending this precept to all living beings? If this acceptable,
we cannot be meat, egg and mick and their product eaters.
Another issue is of assuring equity to all with regard to natural resources.
This will change Precept 5 and 6 dramatically.
*Should we not fight injustice perptrated on the community and moire
particularly on the poor and downtrodden. Thisa will require Precept 9 to
be rewritten.

*What is the disadvantage over deciding total life change in one stroke
instead of slow change as Robert recomments in his Precepts 11 and 12. I see
no rationality in his advice for slow change. Experience globalby shows
that nothing comes through slow change. Total change is the basis for total
transormation.

* Can we rewrite Precept 17 `understand your interdependence with others and
community and do your duty to the community and others.
Reduce your needs to the minimum and remain self reliant.
*Precept 22 and 23 Practice sustainable agriculture and discard synthetic
chemicals and pesticides.
* Precept 24 is in contradiction to simple life style.. One should promote
freshness and discard abuse of energy. It is better to ahare
with others if you have surplus than process for storing for presonal
use at a future date. Substantial number of brethern go hungry and
die of starvation and mal=nutrition. Cut off intoxicants, wines and
liquors and waste and reach out the needy.
*Precept 28 unnecessary as we are extending non-violence to all living
beings.to . There is n othing humane in slaughtering other life forms.
*Precept 29 Bring fdown energy use toi the most minimum understanding that
the developed countries of the world use many more times to the enrgy
available to our poor and in other developing countries. Realsie that petro
based enery has become the most serious thread to the environment and finite
natural resources of the globe.
*Precept 30. Insist on using alternate enrgy sources. Use solar
energy forms individually as well.
*Precept 40 Cut down drastically the use of resources. Limiting to existing
levels is unsustainable.
*Precept 41 onwards on Debt. Do not borrow under any circumstances as that
is promoting consumerist approach. Live within your means. Give highest
priority to education and health while using your own resources.
*Precepy 45 Develop regionalism for covering your minimum needs as that
promotes jobs at local level and improves econmy in the region where you
live.
*Precept 50 Ensure minimum food and other basic needs to all in the
neighbourhoodand globally even if that means cutting down personal needs to
the barest mimumum. Live for sustainance living and not for showing off.