livingontheland - [Livingontheland] About The Mercia Movement

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Tradingpost" <tradingpost@gilanet.com>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] About The Mercia Movement
  • Date: Thu, 27 Nov 2003 07:57:14 -0700

http://mysite.freeserve.com/themerciamovement
About The Mercia Movement
http://mysite.freeserve.com/themerciamovement/about_us.htm

The Mercia Movement was formed on 19 August 1993 by a group of like-minded
individuals alarmed at the political, economic, social and environmental
situation in England, but inspired by a common vision of a sustainable
alternative future. Unlike conventional political bodies, the Mercia Movement
does not support the theory of progress from barbarity to paradise through
technological development. On the contrary, we believe that this route will
ultimately lead to catastrophe through the exhaustion of finite resources by
an expanding population far in excess of its food base. The impossible goal
of universal happiness through consumerism and materialism is just one of
many false hopes raised by the privileged minorities to secure their hold on
power that has lasted for nearly a millennium. It is our view that the golden
age in England was in the Anglo-Saxon past and that the following centuries
witnessed a descent into the dark ages. Prior to the Norman Conquest,
communalism and organic democracy thrived and society flourished in essential
harmony with the environment. Since the disastrous events of 1066, a radical
political force of English people refusing to accept the finality of the
effects of the Conquest has existed and has periodically challenged the power
of the Establishment. The Mercia Movement is the most recent expression of
this tradition.

We believe that the future is decided by history and that an English
renaissance is perfectly possible, but that it can only be achieved by a
common understanding that society suffers from a thousand-year old disease
and by a common willingness to apply the whole cure. Conventional politics
has failed to recognize the existence of the disease, let alone identify its
cause, and has dealt with ills in society in a piecemeal fashion, attacking
the symptoms as they have appeared. Through the application of this method,
the disease is almost certain to be terminal and only a holistic approach to
the problem offers real hope of salvation. Fortunately, it is clear that most
people in England have a pessimistic view of the future and are disillusioned
with or apathetic to the activities of career politicians. We believe that
this situation creates much scope for a revival of a common English spirit to
heal the wounds and finally complete the circle. We have a cynical view of
history which predicts that the ordinary people will continue to dispute the
control of the privileged few until the pattern of failure and despair is
finally broken. As s millennium of subjection approaches, a number of
indicators, such as the growth of regionalist and environmental movements and
an increasing dissatisfaction with the monarchy, suggests that the English
people may once more be ready for the challenge.

It is our assertion that the current political system in England is illegal
and undemocratic and that the economy is grossly polluting and unsustainable.
The Mercia Movement therefore aims to act as a catalyst in the removal of the
Establishment and in the re-empowerment of the ordinary people of the
country. Mercia remains a legally autonomous region and we intend to
re-create its independence in reality. Anglo-Saxon England provides a vital
historical model which proves that a society based on community, organic
democracy and environmental harmony is not a dream, but an achievable ideal.
An immense amount of energy, patience and flexibility will be needed to
realize the ideal and we appeal to the people of Mercia to join us in meeting
the challenge.

  • [Livingontheland] About The Mercia Movement, Tradingpost, 11/27/2003