livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Bolivia

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Tradingpost" <tradingpost@gilanet.com>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Bolivia
  • Date: Sun, 02 Nov 2003 07:58:53 -0700

Michelle, I agree on the water issue but we have another list for all those
"relevant" connections; just send an email to
globalgreens-subscribe@yahoogroups.com . I've forwarded dozens of news items
on the water issue to that and other newsgroups or lists. The problem is,
there are dozens of huge issues that are relevant to the theme of living on
the land, not just corporatization of water. As I said before, I could easily
put up hundreds of posts on this list, all relevant in some connection. But
that would completely override the focus of this list, which must leave out
all the political and environmental debates or be buried in all those
relevant connections. I admit I've neglected this list and put in thousands
of hours on others. That's going to change. Want to help out here?

But more important, it's my belief that if people want communities that are
sustainable and survivable for themselves and their families they have to
promote or create them for themselves, not spin their wheels trying to elect
better politicians or change the world. There are thousands of interest
groups and lobbies fighting each other for a bigger piece of the pie left and
right, and everybody has a different solution, so where does that get us? I
do believe we need to see how bad things have gotten so we'll be motivated to
work for local self-sufficiency - hence our Globalgreens list and dozens of
similar lists others put out. But not because we can change everything. I
don't expect everybody to suddenly agree on some political solution, and why
should they? I'm an information junkie and I still don't have an ultimate
solution.

Now this is not a bunker mentality or "possum living". We keep connected,
mostly by Internet and local word of mouth. We don't stock up on underground
canned goods etc. etc. We're promoting local networking and specialization,
local production for local consumption, more independence from the
consumer/debt economy and corporate wage slavery, more control over our own
lives and how we make a living and raise children (mine are grown). And it's
my belief that we cannot afford to let politics and parties get in our way
and keep up from working with people of all backgrounds and persuasions. My
tomatoes and chard aren't Republican or Democrat. I network locally and
worldwide with pagans, Mormons, Baptists, Greens, Libertarians, anarchists,
and even one or two Republicans. As the economy continues to slide into
catastophe we're going to have to put our ideologibal differences aside and
work together for more autonomous communities and a livable lifestyle.
There's a good beginning on my site at http://globalcircle.net .

paul tradingpost@gilanet.com

--Henry David Thoreau

That is well said, replied Candide, but we must cultivate our garden.
--Voltaire [Francois-Marie Arouet] Candide