livingontheland - [Livingontheland] Rio Grande Community Farms

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Tradingpost" <tradingpost@gilanet.com>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] Rio Grande Community Farms
  • Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2003 09:27:14 -0600

Rio Grande Community Farms
http://www.communityfarm.org/projects/index.html

(Community Food Security Coalition is at http://www.foodsecurity.org/ )

"Local responses with local resources are the most permanent, sustainable
solutions there are."

Rio Grande Community Farms is a ABQ based nonprofit organization which works
in partnership with City of ABQ Open Space Division to establish farming
projects that promote farmland preservation and production of food crops for
local consumption at city-owned Los Poblanos Fields. Projects currently
underway are:

The Community Garden
Volunteer and Service Learning Program
Workshops
The Albuquerque Food Security Network
The Annual MAIZE MAZE
Autumn Festival Harvest Markets
Wildlife Habitat
Internship Program
The Alvarado School Garden

THE ALBUQUERQUE FOOD SECURITY NETWORK

Food security exists when all people, at all times, have physical and
economic access to the production and consumption of sufficient, safe and
nutritious food to meet their dietary needs for an active and healthy life.

Sufficient, nutritious food is essential to life and a fundamental right of
every person as defined in the UN Declaration of Human Rights and the UN
Covenant on Economic, Social and Cultural Rights. The world’s nations
confirmed this right and bound themselves to eradicate hunger and bring food
security to all at the World Food Summit in Rome in 1996.

Those of us that are food secure and regularly shop where we like, and can
afford to eat what we like, often assume this is the case for everyone.
However, food security is more complex. Many underserved neighborhoods lack
buying power and therefore lack access to the kind of food services that are
easily taken for granted.

In addition to examining the wages and household budgets of those needing
food assistance, other relevant questions to food security are: Who is
producing food? Where and by what means it is being produced? And, who has
the means necessary to produce it? Currently most of our food is grown on
only 9% of our country’s farms, and these are also the farms that receive the
most government subsidies. Our nation’s small and mid-size farmers also need
equal government support in the form of programs which help access markets
that pay them a decent wage for their labor, and insure farmland protection.

To address the issue of hunger and poverty in the 21st century, we need to
examine the economic realities of industrialized agriculture, the impact of
government subsidies and market forces, our national policies, the real cost
of industrialized agriculture in relationship to environmental problems as
well as international trade.

The portion of the land at Los Poblanos Fields, which is planted in field
crops and community garden plots is in part subsidized by a Food Security
grant from the USDA. The grant is a 50% matching grant to help establish Los
Poblanos Fields as a source for fresh food for local citizens who are food
insecure. This means that for every dollar the USDA funds, RGCF must earn or
find a matching dollar. Produce sales, our yearly membership drive, income
from the maze, and contributions from other grantors provide the matching
funds. The intention of the grant is to support RGCF in establishing a
Community Food Network by partnering with local organizations, church and
service groups, and government programs and divisions, as well as individuals
to make local fresh food available to ABQ citizens who need food assistance,
i.e. are food insecure.

People all over the USA, Europe and Canada are working on some of the same
problems we have in Albuquerque. The rest of this article introduces you to a
national organization called The Community Food Security Coalition of which
RGCF is a member.

The Community Food Security Coalition (CFSC) http://www.foodsecurity.org/ is
a non-profit 501(c)(3), North American organization dedicated to building
strong, sustainable, local and regional food systems that ensure access to
affordable, nutritious, and culturally appropriate food for all people at all
times.

The coalition seeks to develop self-reliance among all communities in
obtaining their food and to create a system of growing, manufacturing,
processing, making available, and selling food that is regionally based and
grounded in the principles of justice, democracy, and sustainability. The
coalition is made up of organizations concerned with social and economic
justice, the environment, nutrition, sustainable agriculture, community
development, labor, poverty and hunger.

One of the coalition's main political efforts in the past year has been the
federal government's 2002 farm bill. The coalition advocated for small and
midsize family farms within that huge, unwieldy, corporate-farm-oriented
piece of public policy. The coalition believes the resulting bill would have
been a lot worse without our lobbying. Its next political thrust will be the
reauthorization of the Children's Nutrition Act, where the coalition will be
an advocate for community groups supporting children's health.

Some of the groups in the coalition lobby and some work in their communities
supporting local farmers, making sure all community members have enough to
eat and advocating for healthy food, air and water. One of the principles of
community food security is that "a stable local agricultural base is key to a
community responsive food system.

Farmers markets are definitely part of the picture, but there are other parts
that probably have a larger impact. Another area of focus is changing
institutional buying and implementing subsidized fresh food programs for
eligible families. One example is the farm-to-school program. In several
cities throughout the country school food service departments are contracting
with local farmers to supply fresh, local foods to school cafeterias. We live
in a state that is among the highest in poverty while local farmers are
struggling to survive. We've all heard about the rise of child obesity and
Type 2 diabetes in young children.

Our kids need healthy food. They need to know where food comes from and that
fresh local food tastes a lot better than food that has traveled thousands of
miles and been stored for long periods. They need to know about the health
risks associated with fast food.

These projects such as the farm-to-school programs begin with us; with
farmers, parents, schools, the health community and whoever else is
interested. We can start big or small; there are no blueprints. Community
members figure out what works. But, radical change needs to happen for the
health of our children and family farms. Radical change doesn't just happen.
It's a result of strong community voices.

Local responses with local resources are the most permanent, sustainable
solutions there are.

  • [Livingontheland] Rio Grande Community Farms, Tradingpost, 08/25/2003