livingontheland - [Livingontheland] What is Regenerative Agriculture

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Tradingpost" <tradingpost@gilanet.com>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] What is Regenerative Agriculture
  • Date: Sun, 17 Nov 2002 11:19:19 -0700

What is Regenerative Agriculture? Widening Circles of Influence
http://www.newfarm.org/newfarm/features/0802/regenerative.html

Thinking beyond the traditional scope of organic and sustainable

Organic farming is not just about making a higher profit. Most of us realize
that in our bones. Sure, we have to make a living. And, sure, we live and die
on the gritty details of compost and cover crops, tillers and no-till. But we
are stewards of more than just our soil and our farm and we all draw meaning
and sustenance from what we accomplish beyond our own fence posts.

The Widening Circle of Regenerative Agriculture

You and Your Farm–By farming organically, you are regenerating the soil and
returning it to it's natural, healthy state. By farming without chemicals,
you are also regenerating your health and your family's health.

The Local Environment–The wildlands, wetlands and the environment surrounding
your farm are regenerated by your organic practices. Dangerous chemicals no
longer wash out of your fields and beneficial birds and wildlife return to
help you keep down insect pests.

The Community–the local community and the world beyond are also regenerated
by your farm as you recycle natural waste products into your fields, reducing
local pollution points. As people eat your organic food, they are being
regenerated and made healthier. Your farm is helping to clean up the planet!

By farming organically, we are regenerating the soil, returning the land to
its natural state. We are also regenerating the health of ourselves and our
family by reducing or eliminating chemical fertilizers, pesticides and
herbicides.

Beyond our farm, by not using chemicals, we are regenerating the wildlands
and local environment. Wildlife and beneficial birds return to help keep down
insects and other pests. Our local watershed has less pollution in the
streams and creeks which come off our land.

Finally, we are helping to regenerate our communities by recycling organic
waste that would otherwise be an economic or environmental problem. By
providing organic food to consumers, we are making the planet a healthier
place--our products are helping to regenerate the world.

So organic farming is more than just agriculture–and it's good to remind
ourselves of this from time to time. We're helping to create a healthier,
better future for everyone. It's Regenerative Agriculture. Regenerative
Agriculture has become a whole science over the last 20 years, involving more
than just farming and selling products. As we regenerate local woodlands and
streams, as we help regenerate our local communities, many benefits come to
us, monetary and otherwise. That gives most organic farmers a satisfaction
beyond mere profits.

By farming organically, we're helping society in many different ways. We
interact with the local community on whole new levels, perhaps by local
marketing, organic matter recycling or entertainment farming. Or maybe by
hosting a Farmer Field Day to show new transitioning farmers how we do it.
Teaching others: That's when you really start Regenerating!

Thinking in terms of Regenerative Agriculture reminds us of the true
importance of farmers in our society. The ridiculous image of the farmer as
hick and redneck is forgotten. We remember that agriculture is the foundation
of all civilization, that when you improve agriculture, you elevate the whole
society. And we affirm that agriculture is an absolutely essential part of
any world-wide effort to improve our environment and health.

  • [Livingontheland] What is Regenerative Agriculture, Tradingpost, 11/17/2002