libraryweb - [Libraryweb] Newsletter

libraryweb AT lists.ibiblio.org

  • From: Library Web <libweb AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: libraryweb AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Libraryweb] Newsletter
  • Date: Wed, 6 Oct 2010 00:00:03 -0400

Library Web (UK)

Library Culture on the Web

http://www.libraryweb.info

Wednesday 6 October 2010

7 days of library news:

"Has social media's popularity has affected research? Wat does this mean for libraries?"
"The BBC and the British Library are working together to find out if social media's rise in popularity across all ages and professions has affected research and what this means for libraries." (Via @anniemauger.)
BBC Growing Knowledge, Tuesday 5 October 2010

'"Book Drum" ... has anyone had a go on this? It looks like a fun thing to browse as well as being potentially useful!'
"All the music, video, maps, pictures and background material that couldn't go in the book are here." (Via @CazApr1.)
Book Drum, Tuesday 5 October 2010

"Prezi on role of public libs (more 'Future of libs & democratic/ethical Implications')"
(Via @walkyouhome.)
Prezi, Tuesday 5 October 2010

"In tribute to Norman Wisdom all library staff tomorrow will be barely competent at their jobs with hilarious consequences [hash]nochangetherethen"
@OrkneyLibrary, Tuesday 5 October 2010

"Sept/Oct D-Lib magazine available - articles on digital lib'y research & devt"
(Via @LISResearch.)
D-Lib Magazine, Tuesday 5 October 2010

'e-books: "good for THE environment but [not] good for MY environment... a very pleasant bookcase-lined living room"'
(Via @shw34, RT @theatregrad.)
guardian.co.uk, Tuesday 5 October 2010

"What are your doing?"
Library cartoon, Sunday, October 03, 2010.
Unshelved, Tuesday 5 October 2010

Librarians as providers of "legendary" customer service
"Findings - With the increase in patron expectations fulfilled by librarians daily, the "Legendary" service model becomes even more important to validate the example of quality customer service, so that the debate regarding the relevance of the profession is silenced once and for all." Abstract. (Via ticTOCs.)
ingentaconnect, Tuesday 5 October 2010

Alyson Books to Go Ebook Only
Publisher, "There are just fewer places to sell books".
Teleread, Tuesday 5 October 2010

More details on Google Editions
"Google Editions won't go live for another 6 months It will also probably carry books from Wal-Mart and Barnes & Noble Publishers will be able to bundle print books with ebooks as part of the program"
Teleread, Tuesday 5 October 2010

BiblipPulp - "Images from the underbelly of the rare book world"
Teleread, Tuesday 5 October 2010

Archiving eBooks, librarians are you concerned? by Sue Polanka
"Are Portico, LOCKSS, or CLOCKS suitable solutions for archiving eBooks?"
Teleread, Tuesday 5 October 2010

Ivy4Evr: Interactive storytelling by SMS text message
"young people don’t have smartphones—but the phones they do have are almost always switched on"
Teleread, Tuesday 5 October 2010

Majority of UK yet to download an ebook
Teleread, Tuesday 5 October 2010

Free Ebook Anthology From Chamber Four
"25 of the best short stories published on the web in 2009 and 2010 ... shared subject: the attempt to reconcile our world to the struggles of the human soul."
Teleread, Tuesday 5 October 2010

Information Professional of the Year
"Get your thinking caps on and start nominating!"
LIS-PROFESSION, Tuesday 5 October 2010

Social Media & Library Advocacy
"social media is excellent for reaching a multitude of people, but it lacks some of the strong bonds that turn interest into action"
LISNews, Tuesday 5 October 2010

A few heretical thoughts about library tech trends
"It's very easy to get into a condition that some have dubbed as "techno-lust", so let me play devil's advocate..."
LISNews, Tuesday 5 October 2010

Is The Word 'Publish' Becoming Obsolete?
"...a much larger and diverse media ecosystem than it was even a couple of years ago, so the increasing irrelevance of the word 'publish' probably doesn't matter much"
LISNews, Tuesday 5 October 2010

Public Libraries: Endangered or Saved?
"Outsourcing ... Public Libraries"
LISNews, Tuesday 5 October 2010

2 E-Books Cost More Than Amazon Hardcovers
"new titles from Ken Follett and James Patterson"
LISNews, Tuesday 5 October 2010

Locals fear that library could shut
East Belfast.
Belfast Telegraph, Tuesday 5 October 2010

Council's dismay over closure threat to Highbridge Library
Burnham-On-Sea.
Burnham-On-Sea, Tuesday 5 October 2010

Library of Birmingham seeks charitable status to keep costs down
(Via Google News.)
Birmingham Post, Tuesday 5 October 2010

FW: e-newsletters
Information request.
LIS-PUB-LIBS, Tuesday 5 October 2010

Public Entertainment Licences for Author Events in Public Libraries
Information request.
LIS-PUB-LIBS, Tuesday 5 October 2010

Frank Skinner recants - and Manga's OK too
"'Why I'm on a new page with local libraries', The Times, Friday October 1, 2010"
Library and Information Update, Tuesday 5 October 2010

Unstaffed Self Service
Information request, "Keeping branches open with fewer -- or even no -- staff".
RFID - Changing libraries for good, Tuesday 5 October 2010

Association of College and Research Libraries
"the modern phenomena of video games and their impact on society will be explored in a free talk at Loughborough Library"
Leicestershire Libraries, Tuesday 5 October 2010

Affective information literacy
"including emotional or attitudinal aspects in the ACRL [Association of College and Research Libraries] standards"
Information Literacy Weblog, Tuesday 5 October 2010

The centrality of the reader
"much as I spend a lot of time advocating the importance of understanding the book as physical object, and the technical processes that produce it, maybe I am a social historian at heart after all"
Library Marginalia, Tuesday 5 October 2010

A closer look at OPACs: Koha, Evergreen and Voyager compared
"what a next-generation library catalogue might light look like and how it compares with what’s currently on offer"
MmIT blog, Tuesday 5 October 2010

A new chapter at Antrim library
"new two-million pound library in Antrim" (Via Alan Gibbons' Blog.)
BBC News, Tuesday 5 October 2010

Can Libraries Work Together to Acquire eBook Assets?
'libraries form a collective to acquire "ebook assets" that would allow them "to distribute an ebook to anyone, anywhere, without charge'
Go To Hellman, Tuesday 5 October 2010

Training, accidentally
"Training librarians..."
ALA TechSource, Tuesday 5 October 2010

'A Sorting-Out Period' for Pricing
Quotation of the Day, "What we are seeing is a sorting-out period as a new, very vibrant market for book content begins to develop with multiple platforms, multiple formats and multiple retailers..."
Shelf Awareness, Tuesday 5 October 2010

News from The Reading Agency - October 2010
The Reading Agency, Tuesday 5 October 2010

New essay on Clark Kerr and the importance of librarians
The Clark Kerr (mis)quote Adventure, "The employers will love this generation, they are not going to press many grievances. They are going to be easy to handle. There aren't going to be any riots." (Via PLGnet−L.)
Docs Populi - Documents for the Public , Tuesday 5 October 2010

One library to close - not three
North Somerset. (Via Google News.)
The Weston Murcury, Friday 1 October 2010

Mobile Technologies in Libraries
FUMSI, Friday 1 October 2010

3 Ways Twitter Analysis Can Enhance Your Marketing
iLibrarian, Friday 1 October 2010

Library hours cut due to lack of volunteers
Swindon. (Via Alan Gibbons' Blog.)
SwindonAdvertiser, Friday 1 October 2010

A sinner repents
"Comedian Frank Skinner recently stirred up a hornets' nest by seeming to back those who think libraries are dead. "
Alan Gibbons' Blog, Friday 1 October 2010

New Northern Ireland closures?
Alan Gibbons' Blog, Friday 1 October 2010

Tom McCarthy- C. Man Booker Shortlist 2010
Review.
Book Talk Bournemouth, Friday 1 October 2010

Damon Galgut - In A Strange Room - Man Booker Shortlist
Review.
Book Talk Bournemouth, Friday 1 October 2010

Peter Cary - Parrot and Olivier In America. Man Booker Shorlist
Review.
Book Talk Bournemouth, Friday 1 October 2010

Andrea Levy - The Long Song - Man Booker Shortlist
Review.
Book Talk Bournemouth, Friday 1 October 2010

Rose Tremain - Trespass
Review.
Book Talk Bournemouth, Friday 1 October 2010

ensuring equality
"Today various bits of the Equality Act 2010 come into force."
Clari's Blog, Friday 1 October 2010

Where's Our Consultation?
"A Friend of Doncaster Libraries ... wrote to Mayor Peter Davies voicing his concerns about the threats to the library service. Below is the Mayor’s response..."
Save Doncaster Libraries, Friday 1 October 2010

"Perhaps we can resurrect Celebrity Librarian DeathMatch?"
"the show that pits two teams of reference librarians against one another for bragging rights and prizes!" (Via @suebeeinaz.)
LIBRARIANDEATHMATCH, Friday 1 October 2010

Authors Feel Pinch In Age of E-Books
(Via Library Link of the Day.)
The Wall Street Journal, Friday 1 October 2010

You don't look like a librarian!
"a collection of talks and resources relating to the image and perception of librarians in the Internet age" (Via @walkyouhome.)
You don't look like a librarian!, Thursday 30 September 2010

"ALA President Roberta Stevens' response to the New York Times story on outsourcing Libraries"
(Via @UKpling.)
Voices for the Library, Thursday 30 September 2010

iPhone app aims to tour Ian Rankin's Edinburgh
(Via @TheDrum.)
The Drum, Thursday 30 September 2010

Consultation on the Draft Legal Deposit Libraries (Non-print Publications) Regulations 2011
(Via @CILIPinfo.)
DCMS, Thursday 30 September 2010

Best Practice Case Study: Bibliotekz at Birchwood community library
"Birchwood Community Library in Warrington is part of the Birchwood Community High School."
Museums, Libraries and Archives Council, Thursday 30 September 2010

Oldham Library - Helping residents through challenging economic times
"...people who may have money worries, for those who are thinking about starting up their own businesses and for those who need practical advice on running a business."
The Society of Chief Librarians, Thursday 30 September 2010

Libraries helping to address the needs of Polish and Zimbabwean communities in Southend-on-Sea
"Southend Library recently celebrated the second anniversary of a unique project which engages the local Polish community through a translation service, books and other reading materials."
The Society of Chief Librarians, Thursday 30 September 2010

Party conference season update
"A copy of the leaflet that is being distributed to the political community can be viewed..."
The Society of Chief Librarians, Thursday 30 September 2010

Evidence, Value and Impact: The LIS Research Landscape in 2010
"Report from the Library and Information Science Research Coalition conference held at the British Library June 2010" (Via @scotlibraries.)
Ariadne, Thursday 30 September 2010

"Don't forget: tomorrow is #followalibrary day on twitter! Lots of UK libraries to find & follow ... including us of course!"
(Via @RMBCLibraries.)
@followalibrary/united-kingdom, Thursday 30 September 2010

"Huge News on our Super-Duper online catalogue! Digitised versions of our books available from Google Book Search..."
"[scanned] books available from Google Book Search or the Open Library can now be accessed from your search results" (Via @NLIreland.)
National Library of Ireland, Thursday 30 September 2010

CILIP Gazette
The 'Banned Books' promotion and librarians' role, Library Management Systems: why speed is good in systems development, So many platforms; how can librarians keep up? CILIP's Digital Information Conference previewed, Working abroad – making a lasting impact? A librarian reflects, Library Management Systems: The slow end of the LMS?, Library Management Systems: can we work together on a 'dream system'?
CILIP, Thursday 30 September 2010

"Shake more than cocktails? Move more than dancing? Nominations open for Library Journal Movers & Shakers award"
"Now accepting international nominees!" (Via @libraryfuture.)
Library Journal, Thursday 30 September 2010

Margaret Atwood on Ebooks
"Canadian poet, novelist, literary critic, essayist, and environmental activist" (Wikipedia)
Teleread, Thursday 30 September 2010

Social Tagging
"Is there a space for librarians as social taggers..."
Stephen's Lighthouse, Thursday 30 September 2010

New Tool for the Instant Search Crowd: ShelfLuv (aka Amazon.com Instant Book Search)
"searches (keyword search) books in the Amazon.com database"
ResourceShelf, Thursday 30 September 2010

eXtensible Text Framework (XTF) Website launched -- robust open-source application makes managing access to digital content simple
Library Technology Guides, Thursday 30 September 2010

Portsmouth Library Project Attracts Worldwide Interest
"Children do not question that they can be creative, but as we grow older our confidence in expressing ourselves through writing texts, or making objects and images fades." (Via Google News.)
AboutMyArea, Thursday 30 September 2010

Sounds of history 'at great risk', say US researchers
Library of Congress.
BBC News, Thursday 30 September 2010

National Library in storage crisis as space running out
"could run out of space within four years" (Via Google News.)
Scotsman.com News, Thursday 30 September 2010

microfilm reader printers
Information request.
LIS-PUB-LIBS, Thursday 30 September 2010

Online Joining Forms
Information request.
LIS-PUB-LIBS, Thursday 30 September 2010

Mashed Library event
"Bath on the 29th October"
LIS-PUB-LIBS, Thursday 30 September 2010

Free shelving
Highgate Hill, London.
LIS-PUB-LIBS, Thursday 30 September 2010

As the Web Fades Away
"...native, focused, fast, reliable, seamless, and easy ... Take a service you’re responsible for (readers' advisory, information literacy, catalog searching, whatever) and spend 30 minutes imagining how you could get it to move closer toward that list."
iLibrarian, Thursday 30 September 2010

Ebook Summit: R. David Lankes Keynote, "The New Librarianship in the Age of the Ebook"
Library Journal, Thursday 30 September 2010

The Coming 'Backlash Against E-Books'
Quotation of the Day, "unlike the move from CDs to MP3s, there is no easy way to convert our existing stock of books to e-readers."
Shelf Awareness, Thursday 30 September 2010

Library 2.0: Blogs, Wikis, and RSS to Serve the Library
Paper.
Library Philosophy and Practice 2010, Thursday 30 September 2010

An Artistic Horizon: Content Analysis of Caricatures with Library and Information Science Themes
"The results of this research can help librarians can achieve a better status and communicate the true place of the library, library resources, and librarianship."
Library Philosophy and Practice 2010, Thursday 30 September 2010

The Influence of Leadership Style on the Performance of Subordinates in Nigerian Libraries
Paper.
Library Philosophy and Practice 2010, Thursday 30 September 2010

"New blog post: How Can We Save UK Libraries"
(Via @readwithsandy.)
Farm Lane Books Blog, Wednesday 29 September 2010

"verdrive sales rep says iPad and Droid app for library ebooks will be released before Xmas ... [hash]ebooksummit"
(RT @ijclark.)
@nic221, Wednesday 29 September 2010

"Potash - library device certification program [equals] dozens of compatible ebook devices, can't wait [hash]ebooksummit"
(RT @bikerbid.)
@spolanka, Wednesday 29 September 2010

'great chat-up line in Futurama, "Bring me my library card, because I'm checking you out."'
@MichaelStead, Wednesday 29 September 2010

"Five people in this carriage with Kindles. Reading on the move - in so many ways."
(RT @bikerbid.)
@JDLiteracyTrust, Wednesday 29 September 2010

"Anyone got any good resources about librarianship as a feminist profession?"
Information request.
@essomenic, Wednesday 29 September 2010

Books must be allowed to find their readers, says Google
"Around 75 percent of books are out of print."
theBookseller.com, Wednesday 29 September 2010

Issues of E books
"It seems to me that there are issues that somehow have to be resolved, and I cannot see who is going to resolve them. Roughly speaking my list is..."
The Good Library Blog, Wednesday 29 September 2010

The Death of the Book has Been Greatly Exaggerated says Christopher Mims
"Tech pundits recently moved up the date for the death of the book, to sometime around 2015, inspired largely by the rapid adoption of the iPad and the success of Amazon’s Kindle e-reader. But in their rush to christen a new era of media consumption, have the pundits overreached?"
Teleread, Wednesday 29 September 2010

E-Texts for All (Even Lucy) ... Ebooks and Accessibility
"If digital literacy is exploding, the visually disabled are taking the shrapnel."
Teleread, Wednesday 29 September 2010

Future of Libraries 2010: The Consumer and Library E-book Markets by Sarah Houghton-Jan
Teleread, Wednesday 29 September 2010

Mechanical page turner works by thought
"Southern Taiwan University student demonstrates his department's invention"
Teleread, Wednesday 29 September 2010

New Article: "Local Library, Meet the World Wide Interwebs" by Emily Williams
"In the book world it’s easy to get stuck in your own little corner talking about what digital is doing to – take your pick – readers, or authors, or publishers, or booksellers."
ResourceShelf, Wednesday 29 September 2010

Novel-T Literary T-Shirt Contest
"an entire t-shirt out of pages from Moby Dick"
LISNews, Wednesday 29 September 2010

New Books from Facet Publishing
Introducing RDA - A guide to the basics / Archives - Principles and practices / Digital Curation - A how-to-do-it manual / CILIP: the Chartered Institute of Library and Information Professionals Yearbook 2010
LIS-PROFESSION, Wednesday 29 September 2010

What The Directors Have to Say, On-the-Fly and Off-the-Cuff
"Last week six [US] public library directors answered surprise questions about the future of libraries on-the-fly and off-the-cuff"
LISNews, Wednesday 29 September 2010

On the Great Myth of the Librarian Grays
Employment & Work Stories. "The profession may be graying, but gray doesn't mean dead or retiring."
LISNews, Wednesday 29 September 2010

Oxford Bibliographies Online: More Rant Than Review
"is Oxford adding value to the tune of dollars 1000 per subject per year?"
LISNews, Wednesday 29 September 2010

In Study, Children Cite Appeal of Digital Reading
"Many children want to read books on digital devices and would read for fun more frequently if they could obtain e-books."
LISNews, Wednesday 29 September 2010

Social Media Metrics
"The social media metric that I think does matter and that is difficult to fully qualify is sentiment: the positive or negative mentions of a brand, product, service, whatever."
iLibrarian, Wednesday 29 September 2010

[hash]libdebate - What are Libraries for?
Birmingham Salon event.
When I Grow Up I Want To Be A Librarian!, Wednesday 29 September 2010

Guest post: Birmingham Salon debate
"Are professional librarians disengaged from the needs of communities?"
Voices for the Library, Wednesday 29 September 2010

Volunteers and Libraries
"two recent events in London"
slainte, Wednesday 29 September 2010

It's Banned Books Week
"Banned: controversial books for teenagers and children"
Anabel's Children's Literature Blog, Wednesday 29 September 2010

Future of Business Support
"the whole landscape may change"
Sintoblog, Wednesday 29 September 2010

Support the Stack Exchange site for librarians
"Stack Exchange is a collection of collaboratively edited question and answer sites"
MmIT blog, Wednesday 29 September 2010

Salley Vickers - Dancing backwards
Review.
Book Talk Bournemouth, Wednesday 29 September 2010

Dear Mr Miliband
"Three libraries in Doncaster, where the new Labour leader Ed Miliband is an MP, are threatened with closure."
Alan Gibbons' Blog, Wednesday 29 September 2010

Reaching Reluctant Readers: Using High-Interest Fiction to Engage and Inspire
Free webinar, Tuesday, October 19.
Boolist, Wednesday 29 September 2010

The latest edition of LIBRES (Volume 20, issue 2) is now available...
"international refereed electronic journal devoted to new research in Library and Information Science"
LIBRES, Wednesday 29 September 2010