libraryweb - [Libraryweb] Newsletter

libraryweb AT lists.ibiblio.org

  • From: Library Web <libweb AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: libraryweb AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Libraryweb] Newsletter
  • Date: Wed, 5 May 2010 00:00:03 -0400

Library Web (UK)

Library Culture on the Web

http://www.libraryweb.info

Wednesday 5 May 2010

7 days of library news:

Keep it simple
"The changes needed to bring that improvement need to be pragmatic and simple, and the only party which seems to understand that, at present, are the Conservatives..."
The Good Library Blog, Tuesday 4 May 2010

Are libraries a statutory service in Scotland?
The Good Library Blog, Tuesday 4 May 2010

iPad magazines more expensive than paper issues, may stay that way
"Why do they cost so much? It turns out that people are willing to pay that much."
Teleread, Tuesday 4 May 2010

Sounds like librarianship
"piece that made me think of librarianship"
LISNews, Tuesday 4 May 2010

Delhi's Not So Public Libraries
"Read more of the author's adventure..."
LISNews, Tuesday 4 May 2010

Do the Sirens Call to Female Readers?
"sexualized women super heroes in graphic novels"
LISNews, Tuesday 4 May 2010

New pounds 2.2m library is getting closer
"A new pounds 2.2 million library in Wolverhampton is a step closer to opening after building work was completed." (Via Google News.)
Express and Star, Tuesday 4 May 2010

Disposal of RFID Tags
Information request.
LIB-RFID-UK, Tuesday 4 May 2010

Audiobooks on cassette: managing the transition to other formats
Information request.
LIS-PUB-LIBS, Tuesday 4 May 2010

Whitehawk estate library plans approved by city council
Brighton and Hove.
BBC News, Tuesday 4 May 2010

John Harris on the big society
"the Conservatives' big idea" ... "A library is way more than a collection of books in a warehouse that gets handed out on demand."
Alan Gibbons' Blog, Tuesday 4 May 2010

The Book as 'Part of a Larger Process'
Quotation of the Day.
Shelf Awareness, Tuesday 4 May 2010

From Realities to Values: A Strategy Framework for Digital Natives
"the ability to participate and add value to the global information stream is a very concrete reality..."
information Today, Inc., Tuesday 4 May 2010

Celebrating Libraries and Promoting Choose Privacy Week (May 2-8)
'There's a group on Facebook called "I'll Bet I Can Find 1,000,000 People Who Think Libraries Are Important."'
Information Today, Inc., Tuesday 4 May 2010

Crime Fiction Past and Present
Booklist webinar, Thursday, May 6.
Booklist, Tuesday 4 May 2010

"East Renfrewshire Libs recommended for Customer Service Excellence award. Assessor impressed by enthusiasm and customer focus of staff."
@scotlibraries, Saturday 1 May 2010

"Above the Fold, a Web-based newsletter from OCLC Research: 26/04 issue now available"
(Via @LISResearch.)
OCLC, Saturday 1 May 2010

"It might be the end of April, but we have 59 titles(!) for download at the beginning of May. We need a long weekend after that..."
@BBCAudiobooks, Saturday 1 May 2010

New! [hash]InternetArchive Search addon for Firefox
(Via @internetarchive.)
Mozilla Corporation (US), Saturday 1 May 2010

Europe sets up digital ‘reflection group’
theBookseller.com, Saturday 1 May 2010

Exploitation of folksonomies in subject analysis
Abstract (Via TICtocs.)
ScienceDirect, Saturday 1 May 2010

eBooks and the Downfall of Literature: The Great Debate - Round IV
Teleread, Saturday 1 May 2010

Amazon now tracking highlighted passages from Kindle users
Teleread, Saturday 1 May 2010

Friday Fun Shelving
Stephen's Lighthouse, Saturday 1 May 2010

Ten Reasons Why Professional Librarian is an Oxymoron
"...2. There are No Consequences For Failing to Adhere to Ethical Practices"
LISNews, Saturday 1 May 2010

Authors Unbound Online
"How the digital age is making self-publishing respectable."
LISNews, Saturday 1 May 2010

Solution for libraries: digital picture frames
"We’re all looking for new, shinier, and better ways to promote ourselves..."
LISNews, Saturday 1 May 2010

A Reader on Reading by Alberto Manguel
Review. (Via Google News.)
guardian.co.uk, Saturday 1 May 2010

Anne Frank’s Annex: 3-D Tour
"Anne Frank House has opened a virtual annex site, including an audio tour"
Libology Blog, Saturday 1 May 2010

The End of Books
"a breakthrough analysis, and one that I commend to your attention. Indeed, I insist -- go read this at once!"
Library Journal, Saturday 1 May 2010

The May, 2010 Issue of AALL Spectrum is Now Online
Public Relations: Back to Basics - Attract patrons with a powerful website; Ranganathan 2.0 - Despite furor over the future of information, the essence of libraries stays constant. (American Association of Law Libraries.)
ResourceShelf, Saturday 1 May 2010

Accessing the Collection of a Large Public Library: An Analysis of OPAC Use
"Despite widespread use of Internet search engines, the online catalogue is still the main pathway to the collection of a particular library..."
ResourceShelf, Saturday 1 May 2010

Now Available: March/April 2010 Issue of CLIR Issues ([hash]74)
"Some interesting thoughts on the role and importance of cataloging and classification in the digital age." (Council on Library and Information Resources.)
ResourceShelf, Saturday 1 May 2010

"5 Real-Time Location Trends to Watch ... Trend watching preps us for success in the info sphere"
"the future of real-time location and where the big growth areas might be" (Via @libraryfuture.)
Mashable, Thursday 29 April 2010

"FAQ for the Library of Congress' acquisition of all those tweets"
The Library and Twitter. (Via @Twitter_Tips.)
The Library of Congress Blog, Thursday 29 April 2010

"YUDU media has launched Shakespeare's entire collection as free ebooks"
(Via @ArtsLibrarian.)
YUDU, Thursday 29 April 2010

"I made my first student loan repayment this month, a grand contribution of pounds 2. At this rate its 400 years to pay it off so really free money"
@theatregrad, Thursday 29 April 2010

Do you know the difference between Manga & Anime or Shojo and Shonen? Find out here: The Librarian's Guide to Manga
(Via @CILIPinfo.)
tokyopop, Thursday 29 April 2010

Today is a Good Day... To Read
T-shirt.
Unshelved Store, Thursday 29 April 2010

Youth panel pick six for Orange
Waterstones, Orange Prize Youth Panel's winners shortlist.
theBookseller.com, Thursday 29 April 2010

Askews launches Children's Book Club
theBookseller.com, Thursday 29 April 2010

Mieville wins third Arthur C Clarke Award
British Science Fiction Association prize for best novel.
theBookseller.com, Thursday 29 April 2010

Librarian’s Guide to Manga Available (Free) as OverDrive Begins Offering Manga Content
Teleread, Thursday 29 April 2010

Ereader speed tests by Laptop Magazine
Teleread, Thursday 29 April 2010

Statistics on ebooks in the iBookstore - Penguin has the most
"O’Reilly Radar has some data on the 46,000 (paid and free) bnooks available through the iBooks app..."
Teleread, Thursday 29 April 2010

What is the best way to give advice?
"There are a few reasons why information is more valuable to people than other kinds of advice..."
Stephen's Lighthouse, Thursday 29 April 2010

Longshots [hash]231: The Innovative Products of Gale-Cengage
"new products Gale has introduced" (Via cilip podcasts.)
Library Beat, Thursday 29 April 2010

Longshots [hash]230: Is the Netflix Model the New Library Model?
(Via cilip podcasts.)
Library Beat, Thursday 29 April 2010

The one where we write the missing manual
"In order to stimulate global working and reduce travel (which is bad for you anyway, being in a nice hotel with a pool, enjoying exotic food, sampling new beers and meeting exciting strangers - better to stay in the same old boring office), our IT uberlords are promoting videoconferencing."
obnoxious librarian from hades, Thursday 29 April 2010

75 percent of Tunisians do not go to public libraries
LISNews, Thursday 29 April 2010

Getting on the 'Sex Sells' Bandwago"
'“Everything You Wanted to Know about the Somerville Public Library but Were Afraid to Ask" pamphlet'
LISNews, Thursday 29 April 2010

Libraries Fight Challenges to Graphic Novels
"Burn It, Hide It, Misshelve It, Steal It, Ban It! Dealing with Graphic Novel Censorship in Your Library"
LISNews, Thursday 29 April 2010

Villagers are left reeling by library closure option
"THE closure of up to five libraries in Sutherland is one of the options being considered by Highland Council..."
The Northern Times, Thursday 29 April 2010

Re: Overdue Charges
Fines and Charges in Public Libraries in England and Wales 22nd ed 2009.
LIS-PUB-LIBS, Thursday 29 April 2010

talking books on cassette for VIP
Information request.
LIS-PUB-LIBS, Thursday 29 April 2010

Public Access pcs and memory sticks
Information request.
LIS-PUB-LIBS, Thursday 29 April 2010

Like Button
Facebook issues.
I want to, Thursday 29 April 2010

Libraries and location services: using Foursquare in public libraries
"I’ve been meaning to seriously explore location-based social networks for a while now..."
David Viner's Blog, Thursday 29 April 2010

South Carolina: State Library Publishes Day in the Life Report
"Nothing is as important to a free society as the provision of information to all who need it, young and old."
ResourceShelf, Thursday 29 April 2010

Seeking Low-Risk Strategies for Making Collections of Unpublished Materials More Accessible
ResourceShelf, Thursday 29 April 2010

More Social Media from the Library of Congress
ResourceShelf, Thursday 29 April 2010

New Preprint: Librarians' Attitudes towards Knowledge Management
"As more and more information and knowledge is created and technology grows rapidly, the world has become more knowledge-oriented."
ResourceShelf, Thursday 29 April 2010

Authors and Book Groups: 'Like Winning the Lottery"
Quotation of the Day.
Shelf Awareness, Thursday 29 April 2010

Which Crazy Writer Are You?
"Take this quiz to find out which writer you are most like!"
ROFLquiz, Thursday 29 April 2010

Check out the new look of libraries
"Britain's terminally dull libraries are looking more like Heathrow's Terminal 5 courtesy of a nationwide transformation." (Via Library Link of the Day.)
Metro.co.uk, Thursday 29 April 2010

May Is Mystery Month at Booklist
' first-ever mystery webinar, "Crime Fiction Past and Present,"'
REaD ALERT, Thursday 29 April 2010

Helsinki's Library 10 and Meetingpoint
"70 percent of the space is devoted to people and 30 percent to materials" (Via AL Direct, April 28, 2010.)
Walking Paper About, Thursday 29 April 2010

Put Out the Welcome Mat for Green Groups
"By offering a place where grassroots groups like this can regularly gather, exchange ideas and create programs to disseminate need-to-know information to the community, libraries can become partners in helping make the world a better, more just and eco-friendly place."
American Libraries Magazine, Thursday 29 April 2010

Let’s Review Everything
"However, librarians' readers' advisory and reviews have been mostly limited to books. I think it’s time to expand their coverage and include shorter publications, such as magazine and journal articles, essays, short stories, and even individual poems."
American Libraries Magazine, Thursday 29 April 2010

American Libraries Magazine, May 2010
American Libraries Magazine, Thursday 29 April 2010

Drupal: The Change We Need
'"The change we need," according to Tim O’Reilly, keynote speaker on day two of DrupalCon San Francisco, "is DIY on a civic scale." We’ve come to rely on what O’Reilly called “vending machine government,” where we put tax dollars in and expect services out, but real progress in civic organizations during tough economic times will depend on grassroots efforts mimicking an agile, open-source approach.'
American Libraries Magazine, Thursday 29 April 2010

Announcement of the new IFLA-LPD Mailing List
Libraries Serving persons with Print Disabilities Section (LPD).
IFLA, Thursday 29 April 2010

Practical Open Source Software Website
"Nicole Engard's forthcoming book, Practical Open Source Software for Libraries..."
Libology Blog, Wednesday 28 April 2010

Stories played out in games
"It's a serious imaginative challenge, but games can provide some of the best plots of all"
guardian.co.uk, Wednesday 28 April 2010

"How easy is it to find a job as a CILIP qualified librarian?"
"the committment to keeping up to date, to maintaining professional standards and to behaving ethically that CILIP membership represents" (Via @helencurry.)
guardian.co.uk, Wednesday 28 April 2010

"How easy is it to find a job as a CILIP qualified librarian?"
"the committment to keeping up to date, to maintaining professional standards and to behaving ethically that CILIP membership represents"
guardian.co.uk, Wednesday 28 April 2010

Different Drummer wins Theatre Book Prize
Society for Theatre Research.
theBookseller.com, Wednesday 28 April 2010

McEwan on shortlist for comic fiction prize
Bollinger Everyman Wodehouse Prize for Comic Fiction.
theBookseller.com, Wednesday 28 April 2010

The public library service is not ready
"In the next few weeks many councils will form new cabinets and new councillors will take responsibility for the public library service. Most of them will have no experience of this area and they will be given no introduction to the matter."
The Good Library Blog, Wednesday 28 April 2010

eBooks and the Downfall of Literature: The Great Debate - Round I
Teleread, Wednesday 28 April 2010

Have you worked for free?
Research request.
Shiny Forager, Wednesday 28 April 2010

Invest in yourself
"would you take your car to a mechanic who hadn't learned a thing since he worked on a 1966 model of a car?"
cilip Information and Advice Blog, Wednesday 28 April 2010

Getting organised the Google way
'...[he] notes that the "psychology of how people learn is through stories, not facts"'
BBC News, Wednesday 28 April 2010

More bookworms needed at Melbourn library
Cambridgeshire. (Via Google News.)
The Royston Crow, Wednesday 28 April 2010

Spotted someone you fancy in the library? Confess your crush on Fitfinder
University library. (Via Google News.)
guardian.co.uk, Wednesday 28 April 2010

Returns sorters
Information request.
LIB-RFID-UK, Wednesday 28 April 2010

Re: ... “to maintain the quality of literature is to keep the human” -- Reading groups
[Why we have libraries, ventured by yours truly, a bit rough, but gets the argument across - Library Web]
LIS-PUB-LIBS, Wednesday 28 April 2010

Wi-Fi in libraries
Information request.
LIS-PUB-LIBS, Wednesday 28 April 2010

Self service - damaged stock
Information request.
LIS-PUB-LIBS, Wednesday 28 April 2010

Local History Collections
"...willing to forward these examples and my own policy to others on request"
LIS-PUB-LIBS, Wednesday 28 April 2010

Overdue Charges
Information request.
LIS-PUB-LIBS, Wednesday 28 April 2010

Children's acquisition policy
Information request.
LIS-PUB-LIBS, Wednesday 28 April 2010

Free Collections Management Exhibition
London, 28 June 2010.
LIS-LINK, Wednesday 28 April 2010

Proving the value of peer networks - survey
Research request, "the value of peer networking".
LIS-LINK, Wednesday 28 April 2010

Flexible or dynamic loan periods?
Information request, "system where the loan period applied to an item is changed automatically according to how in demand the item is..."
LIS-LINK, Wednesday 28 April 2010

Are Library Systems able to print spine labels?
Information request.
LIS-LINK, Wednesday 28 April 2010

The Importance of Taking Breaks
Humour.
Libology Blog, Wednesday 28 April 2010

What are your plans for 2030? Horizon scanning and operating in a flat world
'Horizon scanning or scenario planning involves the observation, examination and monitoring of socio-cultural, political, ecological, economic and political factors or "key drivers" around a particular sector or theme.'
cilip Information and Advice Blog, Wednesday 28 April 2010

Untangling Web 2
"Web 2 doesn’t mean that there is no place for librarians anymore! In fact, there is now a lot more work for librarians as there is even more information to organise, evaluate and share than ever before ... Many librarians are enthusiastic about using Web 2, but unfortunately their organisation sees Web 2 as a threat"
Scott's Library Blog, Wednesday 28 April 2010

Preparing your RFP
"The MLA will shortly be publishing new guidelines on RFID procurement..." (Request for proposal (RFP) is an invitation for suppliers.)
RFID – Changing libraries for good, Wednesday 28 April 2010

Quick ref. answers via Twitter
"a great idea, but not something that I'd use yet..."
Phil Bradley's weblog, Wednesday 28 April 2010

"What we find changes who we become"
The Disruptive Searcher, Wednesday 28 April 2010

JOHN SKUTSCH Two London Libraries and the Role of Public Libraries in Present-Day Britain
Times Online, March 30, 2010.
Alan Gibbons' Blog, Wednesday 28 April 2010

Importance of Place
"Several major web players are making an attempt at being your physical-to-virtual guide to the world..."
American Libraries, Wednesday 28 April 2010

Balancing the techno-scale
"Jim Burton is the managing director of Axiell UK, a company that provides library software solutions to libraries, archives, museums and records centres."
Information World Review, Wednesday 28 April 2010

Library books end up in trash
(Via Library Link of the Day.)
PhillyBurbs.com, Wednesday 28 April 2010

The ethics of piracy
(Via Library Link of the Day.)
Computerworld Blogs, Wednesday 28 April 2010