libraryweb - [Libraryweb] Newsletter

libraryweb AT lists.ibiblio.org

  • From: Library Web <libweb AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: libraryweb AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Libraryweb] Newsletter
  • Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2010 00:00:03 -0400

Library Web (UK)

Library Culture on the Web

http://www.libraryweb.info

Wednesday 28 April 2010

7 days of library news:

86 Beautiful Book Covers - R27.CREATIVELAB
(Via @leedslibraries.)
R27.CREATIVELAB, Monday 26 April 2010

"Classical Comics: Jane Eyre Graphic Novel Preview - QUICK TEXT has been read 10000 times"
(Via @classcom.)
Myebook, Monday 26 April 2010

Local institutions using social media to enhance their services
"On Facebook, I posted a question asking what books about technology should the library purchase, and I got so many great responses" (Via @librarianchat.)
News Times, Monday 26 April 2010

The perspective of e-learning and libraries in Africa: challenges and opportunities
"the crucial roles libraries play in e-learning" Abstract. (Via ticTOCs.)
IngentaConnect, Monday 26 April 2010

Still no CIPFA figures
"year ending March 2009"
The Good Library Blog, Monday 26 April 2010

The State of Instant Messaging
Stephen's Lighthouse, Monday 26 April 2010

Free OverDrive Audiobook App Enables Wireless Downloads from Libraries
iPhone.
LISNews, Monday 26 April 2010

South Park: Banned Books
'"Catcher in the Rye" is passed out in class on South Park.'
LISNews, Monday 26 April 2010

It's Time for Public Libraries to Get Creative
"Library staff would be hired based on their creative talents as well as their other competences."
LISNews, Monday 26 April 2010

British writer Alan Sillitoe, the 'angry young man', dies in London aged 82
Times Online, Monday 26 April 2010

Nominate now for the ISG Reference Awards.
CILIP, Information Services Group.
LIS-PUB-LIBS, Monday 26 April 2010

Reviewers sought
Goldsmiths.
LIS-LINK, Monday 26 April 2010

10 Killer Tips for Creating a Branded YouTube Channel
iLibrarian, Monday 26 April 2010

MAY 6: CILIP CORNERS THE PARTIES!
"The [CILIP Gazette] editor sent CILIP's manifesto to the Big Three parties. She got answers from Ben Bradshaw, Labour Sec of State, Ed Vaizey, his Tory shadow - and ooh! Nick himself for the LibDems."
Library and Information Update, Monday 26 April 2010

I'm free...
"...I heard on TV a couple of hours ago that Alan Sillitoe had died."
From the Chief Executive's Desk, Monday 26 April 2010

Alan Sillitoe dies
"My dad was a factory worker and my mum a shop assistant. Much as I loved the literature we read at school little of it featured lives like mine. Then along came writers like Sillitoe and Barry Hines..."
Alan Gibbons' Blog, Monday 26 April 2010

Global crime fiction tackles dark social issues, mystery backlists go digital
"...genre's trends and previews the top titles for the spring and summer"
Library Journal, Monday 26 April 2010

Organization 2.0: Building the Participatory Library with John Blyberg and Meredith Farkas
Webinar, "...the web is littered with inactive library blogs, lifeless virtual library community and Facebook pages that are out-of-date."
ALA TechSource, Monday 26 April 2010

National Library of Norway Now with Flickr Stream
ResourceShelf, Monday 26 April 2010

'Lost' librarian survey reveals 1-in-5 have gotten intimate in the stacks
"Will Manley circulated the steamy survey, but his bosses refused to print the results and fired him. He posted the results on his blog, 18 years later." (Via Library Link of the Day.)
NYDailyNews.com, Monday 26 April 2010

IFLA Journal Online Table of Contents, March 2010, Volume 36, No. 1
SAGE journals online, Monday 26 April 2010

Why Men Don't Read: How Publishing is Alienating Half the Population
The Huffington Post, Sunday 25 April 2010

"RDA training materials: The Library of Congress has published the training materials for RDA..."
CILIP, Sunday 25 April 2010

"Please sign this petition for every child to be a reader in UK schools"
"the cognitive, social and cultural advantages that reading for pleasure provides" (Via @CazApr1.)
Just Read Campaign, Sunday 25 April 2010

Senior citizens receptive to iPad
Teleread, Sunday 25 April 2010

Reading on an iPad before you go to sleep can keep you awake
Teleread, Sunday 25 April 2010

How are Mobile Phones Changing Social Media?
Stephen's Lighthouse, Sunday 25 April 2010

Agora: a more thoughtful ancient-world epic
"Hypatia ... is said to have been the first female mathematician, philosopher and astronomer of any note"
Times Online, Sunday 25 April 2010

Harry Potter tops list of books Americans wanted to ban over the past 10 years
mirror.co.uk, Sunday 25 April 2010

How to Opt Out of Facebook’s Instant Personalization
iLibrarian, Sunday 25 April 2010

More Facebook Scaryness
When I Grow Up I Want To Be A Librarian!, Sunday 25 April 2010

Author Fights Cambridgeshire Library Cuts
Alan Gibbons' Blog, Sunday 25 April 2010

Edinburgh considers longer library opening hours
Alan Gibbons' Blog, Sunday 25 April 2010

(repost) Happy 201st Birthday to the Library of Congress
ResourceShelf, Sunday 25 April 2010

Oxford Bibliographies Online Launches (plus eReviews Sneak Peek)
"a package of 50 to 100 of the highest quality, most influential works to date in specific academic fields"
Library Journal, Sunday 25 April 2010

eReviews Sneak Peek: Oxford Bibliographies Online
"discipline-based, selective guides to the core literature in various humanities and social science subjects"
Library Journal, Sunday 25 April 2010

Agora
"when the open-minded search for knowledge clashes with religious fundamentalist dogma"
guardian.co.uk, Sunday 25 April 2010

Putting Warwickshire Libraries on the map
"The mashup uses Yahoo Pipes..."
Overdue Ideas, Friday 23 April 2010

The Kate Greenaway medal 2010 shortlist
guardian.co.uk, Friday 23 April 2010

Carnegie medal 2010 shortlist
guardian.co.uk, Friday 23 April 2010

Gaiman double on the Carnegie and Kate Greenaway shortlists
theBookseller.com, Friday 23 April 2010

Will eBooks Be the Downfall of Literature?
"more than 764,000 self-published and micro-niche books were published in 2009, compared to 288,000 traditionally published books"
Teleread, Friday 23 April 2010

100 year old woman with impaired vision gets an iPad
Teleread, Friday 23 April 2010

Original Alice manuscript digitized by British Library
Teleread, Friday 23 April 2010

Free Wii fun at children's library
"Doncaster"
Doncaster Today, Friday 23 April 2010

AGORA: FILM REVIEW AND TRAILER
Alexandria, Hypatia, "if you want something to engage the mind as well as set the blood boiling then it is an unexpected pleasure."
EXPRESS.co.uk, Friday 23 April 2010

Council planning pounds 34m fundraising effort to help pay for new Library of Birmingham
Birmingham Post, Friday 23 April 2010

Budget cuts threat to libraries
Inverness.
John O'Groat Journal, Friday 23 April 2010

We are but warriors for the working-day....
" what options exist for you when you [library support staff] have ideas and energy to contribute"
Libology Blog, Friday 23 April 2010

Expanding Our Touchpoints To Self-Service
"As libraries move more of their services into the online and mobile worlds, we will no doubt expand the opportunities for self-service..."
Designing Better Libraries, Friday 23 April 2010

Neil Gaiman on Libraries and Librarians
"Librarians are the thin red line between civilisation and barbarism"
cilip Information and Advice Blog, Friday 23 April 2010

CILIP Carnegie and Kate Greenaway shortlists announced
cilip Information and Advice Blog, Friday 23 April 2010

Argentina aims to rediscover a love of books
"Part of stimulating people to read is stimulating people to talk about what they read"
BBC News, Friday 23 April 2010

the curve of engagement
"marketing, promotion, advocacy and so on"
thewikiman, Friday 23 April 2010

New York Public Library
Video footage.
Just another dent in the damage...., Friday 23 April 2010

The World of Data According to Dorothea Salo
"Grab a bucket – it’s raining data"
UKOLN, Friday 23 April 2010

What's Up With the Wayback Machine?
"a way to navigate older versions of web sites"
Library Journal, Friday 23 April 2010

'Alice' app for iPad points the way toward a new generation of pop-up books
(Via Library Journal NEWS FROM THE WEB.)
The Independent, Friday 23 April 2010

OverDrive announces app for iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch
(Via Library Journal NEWS FROM THE WEB.)
No Shelf Required, Friday 23 April 2010

Facebook Changes and What it Means for Libraries
"the opportunities to have the Social Bar on your library site so patrons can communicate with librarians" (Via Library Journal NEWS FROM THE WEB.)
Krafty Librarian, Friday 23 April 2010

UK Culture Minister: Public Libraries Must Be a Birth Right for All
"a blueprint for England’s public library service, to help ensure it is fit for purpose in the 21st century"
ResourceShelf, Friday 23 April 2010

That Mighty Sorting Machine Is Certainly One for the Books
The New York Public Library’s new sorting machine. (Via Library Link of the Day.)
The New York Times, Friday 23 April 2010

Weeding Grows the Garden
"Removing worn-out and outdated material is a surprisingly effective circulation booster."
American Libraries, Friday 23 April 2010

A Literature of Risk
"do we really need books that embrace violence"
American Libraries, Friday 23 April 2010

The 2010 Wales Book of the Year Long List
(Via @lcssatglamorgan.)
academi, Wednesday 21 April 2010

"Cuts to libraries during a recession are like cuts to hospitals during a plague"
@georginahardy, Wednesday 21 April 2010

Guidelines 'Lifelong Learning in Libraries'
"ENTITLE is a multilateral project under LLP KA4 Dissemination and Exploitation of Results, designed to support and extend the progress made to date by Europe’s public libraries in supporting learning for all age groups and sections of society..." (Via @Entitle_LLL.)
ENTITLE, Wednesday 21 April 2010

audioBoo: An evening with MC Beaton
(Via @plymlibraries.)
AudioBoo, Wednesday 21 April 2010

'Neil Gaiman: "Google can bring you back 100,000 answers. A librarian can bring you back the right one."'
(Via @kate_librarian.)
Information Today, Inc., Wednesday 21 April 2010

Building a New Librarianship
"Libraries in the 21st Century, Rome, Italy"
Virtual Dave...Real Blog, Wednesday 21 April 2010

DOESN’T THIS SAY IT ALL?
George Orwell.
Stephen's Lighthouse, Wednesday 21 April 2010

Teens Not Interested in Twitter, Blogs, Pew Study Says
LIS News, Wednesday 21 April 2010

And Shetland Library presents: an evening of ******* bad language
(Via Google News.)
The Shetland Times, Wednesday 21 April 2010

Fines and membership forms
Information request.
LIS-PUB-LIBS, Wednesday 21 April 2010

Social Media Monitoring Tools
"check out to see what people are saying about you or your library"
iLibrarian, Wednesday 21 April 2010

What the Manifestos Say
"the three main UK political parties have now published their manifestos"
CILIP Information and Advice Team and Policy and Advocacy Unit.., Wednesday 21 April 2010

Woices
"create audio walks around places, add in a map, append a photograph, using an iPhone etc."
I want to, Wednesday 21 April 2010

Footballers challenge boys' reading apathy
'a third of boys agree with the statement "I can’t find anything to read that interests me"'
Anabel's Children's Literature Blog, Wednesday 21 April 2010

eReader prices continue to plummet
"dollars 130 eReader device"
American Libraries, Wednesday 21 April 2010

Katherine Paterson
"Katherine Paterson, two-time winner of both the National Book Award and the Newbery Medal, discusses her new role and the importance of public and school libraries...."
American Libraries, Wednesday 21 April 2010