libraryweb - [Libraryweb] Newsletter

libraryweb AT lists.ibiblio.org

  • From: Library Web <libweb AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: libraryweb AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Libraryweb] Newsletter
  • Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2009 00:00:02 -0400

Library Web (UK)

Library Culture on the Web

http://www.libraryweb.info

Wednesday 22 April 2009

7 days of library news:

Librarians and information scientists in the blogosphere: An exploratory analysis
Abstract. (Via ticTOCs Journal Tables of Contents Service.)
ScienceDirect, Tuesday 21 April 2009

A constructive agenda
Comment.
The Good Library blog, Tuesday 21 April 2009

Swindon libraries - muddy waters
LIS-PROFESSION, Tuesday 21 April 2009

2009 Pulitzer Prizes for Letters, Drama and Music
LISNews, Tuesday 21 April 2009

Opposition to Google Books Settlement Jells
LISNews, Tuesday 21 April 2009

UN launches global digital library
FT.com, Tuesday 21 April 2009

UN puts global treasures online
World Digital Library.
BBC News, Tuesday 21 April 2009

Music in Public Libraries
Poll.
Thoughts of a [wannabe] librarian, Tuesday 21 April 2009

New Look, No Shush
North Yorkshire, "15 year library strategy".
Panlibus, Tuesday 21 April 2009

Europeana
"database being developed by the European commission"
LibeRaCe's Library Blog, Tuesday 21 April 2009

Chavez effect creates bestseller
BBC News, Tuesday 21 April 2009

RIP - J.G. Ballard
"'Donna Noble has left the library. Donna Noble has been saved.' ---- 'Silence in the Library' (Doctor Who, Season 4, Ep. 8)"
PUBLIB, Monday 20 April 2009

Libraries criticised for playing music
@calire, Monday 20 April 2009

Body + Soul Magazine Promotes BookSwim as "Easier" Than Library
US focus.
LISNews, Monday 20 April 2009

And The Pulitzer For Forgotten Fiction Goes To...
LISNews, Monday 20 April 2009

In Downturns, The Library Is A 'Soft Place'
"Amy Ryan, who wrote her master's thesis on the role of libraries during economic downturns"
LISNews, Monday 20 April 2009

Golden rule of libraries is quietly swept aside... for piped pop tunes
Mail Online, Monday 20 April 2009

Fight to save New Mill Library goes on
Huddersfield Examiner, Monday 20 April 2009

Sugababes shock the library shush brigade
"Piped music in Gloucestershire county council's libraries shatters the silence" (Via Google News.)
guardian.co.uk, Monday 20 April 2009

On-line library update
Request responses.
lis-pub-libs: UK Public Libraries, Monday 20 April 2009

Quote unquote
Minute of the MLA board meeting last Autumn.
lis-pub-libs: UK Public Libraries, Monday 20 April 2009

Piped music
Information request.
lis-pub-libs: UK Public Libraries, Monday 20 April 2009

People counters
Information request.
lis-pub-libs: UK Public Libraries, Monday 20 April 2009

Quizzes in Public Libraries
Information request.
lis-pub-libs: UK Public Libraries, Monday 20 April 2009

Library swapping books for people
Northamptonshire.
BBC News, Monday 20 April 2009

The "essence" of chartership
When I grow up I want to be a Librarian!, Monday 20 April 2009

Louise Penny - Still Life
Review.
Book Talk Bournemouth, Monday 20 April 2009

Mary Beard: What's the point of library fines? Or have librarians got nicer?
Tom Roper's Weblog, Monday 20 April 2009

World Digital Library Set to Officially Launch Tomorrow, Get a Head Start Today
"the site appears to already be live (Monday)"
ResourceShelf, Monday 20 April 2009

Endnotes: Unwrapping Books
Celebrating "the value and importance of books and libraries".
Cherwell, Sunday 19 April 2009

Checking out our favorite libraries and librarians
"pop references to libraries and librarians" (Via Library Link of the Day.)
EW.com, Sunday 19 April 2009

No defence
"minute of the MLA board meeting last Autumn"
The Good Library blog, Saturday 18 April 2009

CILIP blog landscape
Anna Martin's medical library spiel, Saturday 18 April 2009

Book returned after 145 years
(Via Library Link of the Day.)
The Christian Science Monitor, Saturday 18 April 2009

Despots and Democracy
"minute in the record of the board meeting of the MLA"
The Good Library blog, Friday 17 April 2009

Bumbling Hash
Comment.
The Good Library blog, Friday 17 April 2009

From Under the Platform
Dr Amanda J Field.
The Good Library blog, Friday 17 April 2009

For the Bulletin Board
Humour.
Stephen's Lighthouse, Friday 17 April 2009

Pounds 2m National Library investment to increase online offering
National Library of Wales. (Via Google News.)
Tivyside Advertiser, Friday 17 April 2009

EASTER SATURDAY OPENING
Information request.
lis-pub-libs: UK Public Libraries, Friday 17 April 2009

Libraries by the sea... in abundance!
Summary of responses.
lis-pub-libs: UK Public Libraries, Friday 17 April 2009

Public libraries: huge row brewing?
Swindon.
Library and Information Update, Friday 17 April 2009

Book Cart Drill Teams
When I grow up I want to be a Librarian!, Friday 17 April 2009

Thoughts on the Darien Manifesto
Panlibus, Friday 17 April 2009

Ann Cleeves - Red Bones
Review.
Book Talk Bournemouth, Friday 17 April 2009

Barry Unsworth - Land of Marvels
Review.
Book Talk Bournemouth, Friday 17 April 2009

Objection to Google Scanning Settlement Filed
ResourceShelf, Friday 17 April 2009

Library vendors using Twitter
@calire, Thursday 16 April 2009

'State of Americas' Libraries' Report
@crooneybrowne, Thursday 16 April 2009

10 Surprising Former Librarians
@crooneybrowne, Thursday 16 April 2009

Libaries Change Lives finalists announced
CILIP.
@calire, Thursday 16 April 2009

Work progressing on Harrogate's flagship library
Pounds 3.4 million state-of-the-art development.
@SINTOcarl, Thursday 16 April 2009

Bloomsbury unveils digital shelf for libraries
theBookseller.com, Thursday 16 April 2009

The where we suffer from virtual meetings
Humour.
Obnoxious Librarian from Hades, Thursday 16 April 2009

JK Rowling leads fight against free books site Scribd
LISNews, Thursday 16 April 2009

Japanese Public libraries look to new services
LISNews, Thursday 16 April 2009

Library attacked by 4x4 ram raiders
Northampton.
Northampton Chronicle and Echo, Thursday 16 April 2009

Happy to help the MLA
"My job is to help preserve the integrity of civilisation. It's a dirty job but someone has to do it."
Sintoblog, Thursday 16 April 2009

Brooklyn Public Library: 'My Field of Dreams'
Quotation of the Day.
Shelf Awareness, Thursday 16 April 2009

Why open-source library software is a trend
(Via AL Direct April 15, 2009.)
eSchoolNews, Thursday 16 April 2009

Unique landmark library planned in Worcester
@MLA_gov, Wednesday 15 April 2009

Nottinghamshire library makeover pays dividends
@MLA_gov, Wednesday 15 April 2009

Coates makes MLA complaint
theBookseller.com, Wednesday 15 April 2009

New library link opens this week
Dudley.
Dudley News, Wednesday 15 April 2009

Battle to save library begins
Oldham.
Oldham Advertiser, Wednesday 15 April 2009

Library by the sea
Information request.
lis-pub-libs: UK Public Libraries, Wednesday 15 April 2009

Young people and IT
Information request.
lis-pub-libs: UK Public Libraries, Wednesday 15 April 2009

Public Library Journal articles available online
"nine months after publication of the print version"
lis-pub-libs: UK Public Libraries, Wednesday 15 April 2009

Council planning to axe more jobs
Peterborough.
BBC News, Wednesday 15 April 2009

Historic newspapers to go online