libraryweb - [Libraryweb] Newsletter

libraryweb AT lists.ibiblio.org

  • From: Library Web <libweb AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: libraryweb AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Libraryweb] Newsletter
  • Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2009 00:00:02 -0500

Library Web (UK)

Library Culture on the Web

http://www.libraryweb.info

Wednesday 14 January 2009

7 days of library news:

On eBooks
Unshelved blog, Tuesday 13 January 2009

A modern romance
"Pounds 118m-worth of books with romantic content were sold in 2007, ahead of both the crime/mystery and adventure/thriller genres"
theBookseller.com, Tuesday 13 January 2009

Romantic Novel of the Year finalists revealed
theBookseller.com, Tuesday 13 January 2009

Credit crunch is good news for libraries
Norfolk.
Evening News 24, Tuesday 13 January 2009

CPC training for mobile library drivers
Information request.
lis-pub-libs: UK Public Libraries, Tuesday 13 January 2009

Managing Library-related PC clients
Information request.
lis-pub-libs: UK Public Libraries, Tuesday 13 January 2009

Image digitization projects
Summary of responses.
lis-pub-libs: UK Public Libraries, Tuesday 13 January 2009

Social Software, Online Community and Libraries
Presentation slides.
iLibrarian, Tuesday 13 January 2009

BackTalk: HathiTrust and the Google Deal
Library Journal, Tuesday 13 January 2009

BackTalk: Free (or Fee) to All?
Google.
Library Journal, Tuesday 13 January 2009

Now Available: The January Issue of the Library of Congress Digital Preservation Newsletter
(Via Library Journal Library News From The Web.)
ResourceShelf, Tuesday 13 January 2009

Apple's DRM News Said To Have Little Effect on Libraries, for Now
Library Journal, Tuesday 13 January 2009

Carnegie Library
Belfast.
BBC Audio and Video, Tuesday 13 January 2009

Libraries vs. IT Departments
Podcast. (Via Library Link of the Day.)
Tech Therapy, Tuesday 13 January 2009

Waterstone's children's shortlist revealed
"fifth Waterstone's Children's Book Prize"
theBookseller.com, Monday 12 January 2009

Salinas Turning To Libraries to Prevent Gang Violence
"The libraries are really one of our best weapons on the prevention side to make sure we get as many young people out to the right start in life"
LISNews, Monday 12 January 2009

Marian wants your books for library dream
"A WISBECH woman is appealing for people to donate children's books..." (Via Google News.)
Fenland Today, Monday 12 January 2009

Music and DVD download schemes
Information request.
lis-pub-libs: UK Public Libraries, Monday 12 January 2009

People Don't Go To Libraries For Information...They Go There Because...
"the library's core business and values"
Designing Better Libraries, Monday 12 January 2009

What People Are Talking About: Blogosphere Comments About the Proposed OCLC Policy Change
ResourceShelf, Monday 12 January 2009

Library Elf Moves to Subscription Model
Library Journal, Monday 12 January 2009

Computer-esque books to lure boys
(Via Library Link of the Day.)
BBC News, Monday 12 January 2009

Alan Gibbon's Blog
The Good Library blog, Sunday 11 January 2009

Librarian, There's Some Bacon in My Book
Humour.
LISNews, Sunday 11 January 2009

New Year’s Resolutions for Readers!
LISNews, Sunday 11 January 2009

Why libraries must reject the OCLC Policy: A Call To Action
LISNews, Sunday 11 January 2009

Cites and Insights Midwinter 2009 (9:2) available
LISNews, Sunday 11 January 2009

Hitler's secret library
(Via Google News.)
Times Online, Sunday 11 January 2009

Families march over library plans
Wirral.
BBC News, Sunday 11 January 2009

Ace!
"An eight year old girl who won a competition run by BBC Radio Berkshire will be visiting Slough Library next week for some tailor-made work experience."
When I grow up I want to be a Librarian!, Sunday 11 January 2009

Librarian, The (1947)
Video.
LISNews, Saturday 10 January 2009

A Children's Play That Imitates Life...Tomás and the Library Lady
LISNews, Saturday 10 January 2009

Self-service machines 'will not replace library staff'
(Via Google News.)
this is south devon.co.uk, Saturday 10 January 2009

Reading list
"even though NYR [National Year of Reading] is over, the work must continue"
theBookseller.com, Friday 9 January 2009

The one where we negotiate with the vendor
Humour.
Obnoxious Librarian from Hades, Friday 9 January 2009

Digital Scanner Turns Books Into Audio Files Instantaneously
LISNews, Friday 9 January 2009

Opportunity to work in Mexico this July!
"volunteering opportunity"
lis-pub-libs: UK Public Libraries, Friday 9 January 2009

Portset readers
Information request.
lis-pub-libs: UK Public Libraries, Friday 9 January 2009

Reading: the recession-busting solution to boys' educational under-performance?
Library and Information Update, Friday 9 January 2009

Libraries on the brink?
"Recent economic developments mean that we all feel that we are standing at the edge of an abys..."
Sintoblog, Friday 9 January 2009

Article: Service Equality in Virtual Reference
"the virtual environment facilitates equitable service and may overcome some challenges of diverse user groups"
ResourceShelf, Friday 9 January 2009

Top 100 Lamest Excuses for Not Innovating in 2009
Stephen's Lighthouse, Thursday 8 January 2009

Leading Innovation in Times of Change
Stephen's Lighthouse, Thursday 8 January 2009

Sponsorship of People's Network PC's
Information request.
lis-pub-libs: UK Public Libraries, Thursday 8 January 2009

London Borough of Hackney moves to Axiell's OpenGalaxy library management system and joins London Libraries Consortium
lis-pub-libs: UK Public Libraries, Thursday 8 January 2009

e-readers
Information request.
lis-pub-libs: UK Public Libraries, Thursday 8 January 2009

Get involved with the Orphan Works Survey
Research request.
lis-pub-libs: UK Public Libraries, Thursday 8 January 2009

children joining the library
Summary of responses.
lis-pub-libs: UK Public Libraries, Thursday 8 January 2009

Donkeys tackle Ethiopian literacy
BBC News, Thursday 8 January 2009

Designing modern libraries...
Website.
The Library of Digress, Thursday 8 January 2009

The Semantic Web, Part II: Linked Data
Library Journal, Thursday 8 January 2009

free book on library blogs
(Via Library Journal Library News From The Web.)
librarian.net, Thursday 8 January 2009

Always on: Libraries in a world of permanent connectivity
"Mobile communication"
First Monday, Thursday 8 January 2009

Building an Open Source Classification System for Public Libraries
Open Shelves Classification (OSC).
PUBLIB, Thursday 8 January 2009

eBooks
"20 Reasons Why 2009 Will Be The Year of the Ebook"
Stephen's Lighthouse, Wednesday 7 January 2009

List of commercial games released as freeware
"could be useful for libraries looking to build some gaming resources for cheap"
LISNews, Wednesday 7 January 2009

"Google Generation" and Digital Resource
Report commissioned by the British library.
LISNews, Wednesday 7 January 2009

Stephen Fry Looks At The Gutenberg Press
LISNews, Wednesday 7 January 2009

A Visit to the Library of Congress on the First Day of the 111th Congress
LISNews, Wednesday 7 January 2009

Two cent item gets FREE Super Saver Shipping
"Can be used to raise a dollars 24.99 DVD or book to dollars 25 to qualify for free shipping."
LISNews, Wednesday 7 January 2009

Re. Book disposal
Response summary.
lis-pub-libs: UK Public Libraries, Wednesday 7 January 2009

Sound and Vision
Information request.
lis-pub-libs: UK Public Libraries, Wednesday 7 January 2009

100 plus Wiki Tools and Resources
iLibrarian, Wednesday 7 January 2009

Text help to find local libraries
Westminster Council.
BBC News, Wednesday 7 January 2009

The popularity of the public library soars as economy takes a dive?
The Library of Digress, Wednesday 7 January 2009

The Semantic Web, Part I: Promises, Promises
Library Journal, Wednesday 7 January 2009

Not Your Parents Library: Video Game Checkout
ResourceShelf, Wednesday 7 January 2009

Council protests planned
Wirral.
BBC Audio and Video, Wednesday 7 January 2009

More Details on The Google Books Project
(Via Library Journal Library News From The Web.)
EduGeek Journal, Wednesday 7 January 2009